Guest viewing is limited

PKR It's a knees up - SuperSnappers recovery

Hi @SuperSnapper I'm sure you are going to feel so much better once you get home. For one thing, you can ice, ice and ice some more. Regarding PT, I took what they told me to do as a "suggestion". Did some small things but only when I felt like it and certainly nothing to aggravate an already swollen leg. I think the very best thing you can do right now is follow the BS mantra to the letter...rest, ice, elevate, medicate on schedule round the clock. Take things very, very slowly. No need to rush into anything. As so many people remind us, this is a long journey and it is only at the very beginning right now. Please take care! :)
 
One advantage of bilaterals is that I can't tell whether my knees are swollen or not except when I try to bend them so much. They aren't twiggy legs to begin with so swelling disappears in their roundness Sounds like the sooner you get home, the better you'll feel. I'll be thinking of you settling in at home while doing my physio tomorrow. You'll be in control then :yes!:
 
I am home! My and my piggy knee! I am so pleased to be here.
We waited ages to leave the hospital. Why does discharge take so long? My meds were two hours late. I was almost in tears. Then the nurse said I need a wheelchair and she didn't know where one was! So I walked out to the car on my sticks. I just knew it would take ages to find a chair! However I am here, tucked up on the bed having iced my knee for a whole hour , going to do it again very soon.
@Threads hope your physio was gentle with you.
You are a brave lady :yahoo:
 
How great to hear you are home!!!! Hope they straightened out your pain meds before you left the hospital and gave you enough prescriptions to carry you through until you see your OS. Very glad to hear you are icing as long as you want.

I think taking a long time going through the discharge process is universal. I can't understand why it takes so long, it's not as if it's a surprise.

Please don't call me brave. I had to get both knees done and I wasn't brave enough to go through it twice. So, if I wanted the life I wanted to return to - the best way was "one and done".

Enjoy the rest of your day and I hope you can get a good night's sleep in your own bed.
 
So glad you are home. My advise is to keep that leg/knee elevated 90% of the day. Do you have an ice machine? You can keep those on 24/7 because the circulate super cold water, not ice. Also, regarding pain...I think you can take more than one pain pill at a time. Codine isn't very strong. I was such a baby. I needed lots of pain meds for the first month. Keep us posted! -- Joni
 
@Djbrund you are so right. The icing has made it feel better already and I've been elevating. They don't like you doing this in hospital. Setting up the cryo cuff tonight bliss . Just had a shower and now tucked back in bed.
 
I am very glad that you are home---it is such a psychological lift to get home!
he icing has made it feel better already and I've been elevating. They don't like you doing this in hospital.
WOW---my hospital encouraged me to ice as much as I could when i was in there---I am surprised to see how little icing they actually let you do!

Keep these wonderful reports coming!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@SuperSnapper - glad the surgery is over and hope you are home soon so you can sort things out your own way and be more comfortable. The early days are the worst. Each day gets better. Hang in there!
 
The oxy stuff makes me sick but nurse said I could stop taking Oxys and just take paracetamol if I wanted
The nurses keep going on about how they don't give opiates to go home as I might get addicted! This is after 3 days.
All of which just goes to prove that some nurses know NOWT! Added to which they are cruel in the extreme.

I suggest you phone your GP as soon as you get home and ask if you can be prescribed 'something like Tramadol' instead of codeine as it's not doing the job for you.
 
Hi! Glad you made it home and hope you are resting comfortably. Your nurse suggesting Paracetamol alone is nuts! She should have to undergo this operation, take only that and then let us all know how it went :flabber: I agree with Josephine in that I would contact my GP as soon as possible. I hope you are able to find something that brings relief without making you nauseous. ((hugs)) and lots of ice! :ice:
 
@SuperSnapper. Hi there, sorry you are not getting the meds you need. I came out with codeine and paracetamol plus oromorph for breakthrough pain. I had to sing and dance and scream for it though! How can we get addicts if they supply a small amount? I wouldn't have a clue where to get it illegally (or dare for that matter) so it's hardly likely I will go trawling the streets for a mouthful f the stuff!!!!! Hope you are having a good first night home. I have just had to wake hubby to help me to bathroom - I felt guilty waking him but didn't feel I could negotiate the 2 steps I get there. Pain is quite bad now so had 20ml of oroporph until meds at 6.30.
'Speak' soon. Deb x
 
Hi @SuperSnapper

I'm so sorry your hospital has failed to give you the correct medication. Unfortunately once again someone has fell foul of this so called enhanced recovery scheme. I do hope that they collect the data and realise it's too idealistic and way too one size fits all. It doesn't and cannot work like that due to individual recovery.

I jus read the post by @Wilma. Well done you! Have you read Josephine's post above regarding medication? I honestly think that because I was already on morphine when I was admitted for my TKR, this is the only reason I got it afterwards. Everyone else was very upset because they had Oromorph in hospital but on discharge were refused it!!! Seriously. They were discharged without adequate meds.

Anyway, I'll stop by later and see how you are x

Take care love Nana moon 27 xoxox
 
@Nana moon 27 ,@sandbar525 ,@Wilma ,@gr82cu2 ,@Legin, thanks so much for all the messages. You people are really helping. I' be was eventually given a week's supply of Tramadol 4 x50 mg per day so am using that with the paracetamol. The pain really makes you feel grim doesn't it? However, I did get about 6 hours sleep last night in small doses but one period was three hours straight with ice and a gel pack. Bliss. Mr P has just pointed out that one bonus for me being at home was that in hospital none of the staff appeared in my room naked! He's just had his shower! I may even go downstairs today
 
Hi @SuperSnapper

Oh your post made me smile. I was already laughing about something else so this is a good day x yes the pain can be all consuming. But we've all come through it at different rates of recovery x your sleep is quite good really. Well done for that x x x

Your husband sounds really funny x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xoxox
 
Day 4 icing and elevating again. I can already see this is going to be a bit dull. :hairpulling: I am usually a busy person so enforced rest is going to be a severe trial. However, the fact that I feel like this also leads me to believe I might be coming out of the fog I've been in. Now I have to REST.
Just had a little trip to the bathroom, along the landing and back to the bedroom followed by a few exercise. I had a ROM of 88 measured by the physio yesterday (it feels better today) and he said my flexion was good for only 3 days out. He also had me standing on my toes 10 times which surprisingly did not hurt at all but I havent done it again. I did tell him I would only exercise to discomfort and not beyond and even though he got me doing squats and lunges, they were OK. But my knee did swell a lot last night so I'm giving up on them for a while until some healing has been done.:ice:the ice is terrific and tonight I will follow @sandbar525 advice and ice the back of my knee too.
My husband says I am covered in bruises on my back and sides but I have very little on my leg which is a bit odd.
I am feeling positive!

Forgot to say I had a spinal and very little sedative so was awake for some of the surgery but was only aware of a few noises. The theatre staff were so lovely.

@eldon been thinking about you and wondering how everything went? I hope you are doing well. Sending you a hug

Mary x
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom