Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* I have been told I have an infection

I can understand why you’re confused and hoping you continue to recover with no other issues.
 
@Madbkseller I would have been exactly like you, planning on 6 weeks, then get this the heck over with! But be thankful that your surgeon is being careful and making sure that the infection is truly gone. You definitely want it to be done right this time!
The original surgery on the knee was in May 2014, and the knee was never good, it never healed like the RTKR did. I went in first in March 2016 to complain, and was told to give it more time to heal. In December 2017, it finally got bad enough I decided I had to go back in, so I saw the surgeon in Jan 2018, and got the diagnosis based on the blood test in mid-Jan. He couldn't do an aspiration. We came back to IL in April and I got an appt in Peoria with Dr. Akeson, who works with the son of of a close friend. He was able to aspirate the knee and confirm the infection and then they could culture it and identify it. I would really like to know who your surgeon is....would you send me a pm with that info?

Also as to why you need another physical, everybody told me that the physical is valid only for 30 days before surgery.
 
Ok so new question. Did you only have to have the usual 6 weeks of IV antibiotics or did you have to have more? Do you know how the ID doctor knew that your infection was gone so that they could stop the IV's? Today is 5 weeks on IV's and so I go next Friday to see my ID doc. Do they just do a CBC and then the other test for those two (ESR/CRP) counts? Then same day I see my OS. After I see him then I have to wait 2 weeks and then have an aspiration...right? Then HOPEFULLY....PRAYERFULLY... I will get scheduled for getting my new knee in.
And, why couldn't they do an aspiration? I will tell you my OS couldn't get anything out for a long time and he kept moving the needle around and around....UGH. He finally got it to start drawing but OMG...so much pain.....
 
I had 6 weeks of IV - 2 and 1/2 weeks of vanco and 3 1/2 weeks of daptomycin because I had reactions to the vanco. The ID still doesn't know the infection is gone....but my CRP values dropped dramatically. It was 24.9 in January and over 40 the week after surgery (no surprise there), and fell to 3.5 by the end of the first month. They do the CBC and the CRP, but not the ESR. I'll have to have blood tests every 4 - 6 weeks for the next 3 months to check liver function (a precaution for the doxycycline) and CRP. I had one on Monday, and the CRP was still under 4.
I saw my OS today (actually saw the great man himself) and he is very happy with my ROM and how I can walk, so I don't have to go back until November 2.
When the FL OS tried to do the aspiration back in Jan, he said he didn't want to torture me, so after maybe 10 minutes of trying he gave up. I don't know why I was hard to aspirate. But in May the IL OS used an ultrasound to help him, and had no reluctance to torture me! LOL! I think that hurt the most of anything in the last 3 months. I took a vicodin before he started and he gave it about 10 minutes to start to work, and I immediately took another when he was done! I don't envy you having to do that again, that's for sure.
I see ID on Monday and I'll let you know if there is any big change - I don't anticipate it. Sending you a hug - you can do this!
 
I can't believe how much the aspiration hurts. You could NEVER describe it to someone...WHEW!!! I had a trough drawn yesterday. Dr. said still looks good so I have another week of the same strength...then I go next Friday to see her. Hopefully she will remove my PICC and be done with me. Then on the OS same day. Yes...I know I can do it and thanks for the encouragement. I haven't had any crybaby days yet. I had a couple with previous surgeries. I just got really down and depressed but good so far with all of this mess. Go figure... this is so much worse in a way. Maybe I'm just getting used to being disabled. My cousin is a parapalegic...it sure makes me appreciate his situation so much more. Good luck on Monday. I'm sure everything will be fine. So nice talking with you.....
 
Just wondering what happened at your ID appointment. Hope everything went well. I see mine tomorrow. Praying that she will be done with me so I can sit and wait for another two weeks. This is so crazy. Aren't we lucky to be that 1 in 100 that gets an infection?
 
Hey...still wondering what happened at your ID appointment? Mine released me a week ago.. Saw my OS same day...now I get to sit and wait the 2 weeks before my aspiration. When all this is over and you come to Illinois again....want to go for a run???? Ha
 
@Madbkseller Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. We have been busy. I saw the ID on August 6 and she is pleased with how things look. CRP was 3.8 at the last blood test, and swelling isn't too bad, and there isn't a 'hot' spot. So we got in the car Aug 7 and drove back to IL. The trip wasn't too bad on the knee. But being back in the 2 story house with all the steps is tough. And then on the 16th we went to see the Cardinals, and all that walking (we used the escalators) got the knee pretty angry. Thank goodness I did take the cane with me to St. Louis, but I have to be more careful to use it out and about in the neighborhood. As to the stairs, our staircase has a landing and a turn. The first half has a handrail on the left side, and the second half has the handrail on the right (on the way up - they are reversed of course on the way down). I do much better with the right handrail, so I am limiting myself to 'normal' stair climbing when I have the right handrail. After previous surgeries, going down the stairs hurt more than going up; it is exactly the opposite this time. It is such a balancing act - do enough but not too much. I am still icing every evening for about an hour, and keep by leg on a footstool all the time watching TV. I really think the stair issue will get better as I get stronger. As to keeping that darn infection away, all I can do is hope and pray. My next blood test will be in about 3-4 weeks. Oh yeah, lets plan on a run some day!!:loll:
 
@MathProf - Wow the similarities that we have are unbelievable. We have a two story house too, but I have been sleeping in the downstairs bedroom for a couple of years because of my knee. Glad we have that bedroom for sure. Do you go up and down stairs like a "kindergardner"? because I do...well did...and probably will again. Or I actually go on hands and knees. Ha! Seriously, how long will you be back in Illinois? It will be awhile before I am having outings, but one of my favorite places is UFS in Peoria. Do you know it? I'd love to come up and meet you for lunch. If you would be good with that. We can compare war stories....
So, I go Friday for that darn aspiration...then my 5-7 day wait while they culture. UGH!!! My doctor doesn't give up on getting something out. So, it didn't help using the ultrasound for your aspiration? Huh, my ID told me to ask for that so....????
Well, keep in touch....
 
@Madbkseller If I had had a downstairs bedroom, or even a downstairs 3/4 bath I would have had the surgery in IL. It did help to use the ultrasound - I don't think the aspiration would have happened without it. So definitely ask your OS if he can use it. It still hurts though, but at least he wasn't searching 'in the dark'. Not familiar with UFS...we will head back to FL around October 22 or so. I have OS and ID appointments November 2 and have to have a blood test before I see them, but maybe in the spring we could meet up?
 
Thanks for keeping us informed of your progress. Clearing up an infection once and for all can take a long time. I like your sensible plan for the stairs. The important thing is stay stable and avoid accidents.
 
@MathProf So - what I think is double bad news. Well, I went to my OS on Friday. He did the aspiration, OUCH!!! again.... Nurse came in to schedule my replacement surgery for my antibiotic spacer. October 30th. Yes, that's what I said. So now I get to sit with this straight leg for another 9 1/2 weeks. It has already been 8 weeks and I thought that was hard. I did ask her to put me on a cancellation list, which she said she would do. Then she told me that Dr. said I have to quit smoking. Completely. Or he won't do the surgery. Talk about having you over a barrel. I know you'll say that it isn't good for me to smoke....as if I didn't already know that but geez..... I know the reason is because smoking deplete the oxygen in your blood and makes healing harder .... I know all that.... Just know how hard it is going to be to quit especially since I will be sitting here with not much to do....WAITING. Ugh!!
 
Oh, man! I don't know what to say about another LONG wait. And if he wanted you to quit smoking, why didn't he tell you earlier....like before the first surgery????? I have a friend who desperately needs a hip replaced and her doctor won't do it until she loses weight - which she has been trying to do for 4 or 5 years unsuccessfully. What happens if you are still smoking? Will they cancel the surgery? Have you tried patches? Or hypnosis? I never smoked so I don't have any advice but it seems pretty unfair to me to get you into the process and then make a declaration like that. I think you need to post this on your thread, and maybe someone else would have some advice....the secret to how to stop smoking. I really feel for you. {hugs}
 
I have copied several of Madbkseller's posts into her own thread, which hadn't been updated since July.

Ladies, please remember to write about your own recovery in your own threads.

It's great that you two are supporting each other as you go through this long journey, but please remember to put information about your recovery in your own threads as well.
 
Wow it has been a month since I posted. I guess I am getting along okay. I still can't do stairs the 'right' way, and I am trying. I worked for 3+ hours at my church on Saturday standing the whole time cooking, and while I recovered (I thought) later on Saturday, Sunday was very painful and my ankle and lower leg is still very swollen this morning (Monday). And yes, I iced both Saturday and Sunday evenings for over an hour. We are heading to see grandkids this week and I am taking ice packs with me, plus the cane. When we get back I go in for the next blood test so I'll have those results by the end of the month. I have been super good about remembering to take each and every antibiotic pill, and the probiotics, and I am sick and tired of yogurt and doubt I will ever eat another one when this is over. And then I read @Madbkseller 's posts and I count my blessings!!
 
Hi @MathProf I'm a few days behind you and go through some similar days. I had a couple of really great days last week, and thought maybe I was finally turning the corner with this recovery, only to be hit over the weekend with a ton of pain. It was totally new and deep pain, and made it extremely difficult for me to walk. I still ice and elevate some every day, but this weekend I wasn't up and around too much due to the pain. I was doing some icing Saturday, but finally had to give up and just solidly ice and elevate non stop. This morning, after a lot of icing yesterday and all night last night, I see a little improvement, and plan to keep it up some until my leg settles down again. Icing for "an hour" when your leg is swollen and painful just won't do the job, it needs to be long icing/elevating sessions until the knee shapes up and flies right again.

I didn't overdo anything, the pain just hit me out of the blue, but the process is the same regardless of the cause. Ice and elevate for as long as it takes. We are both still on the earlier side of this recovery, and having both had revisions means not only have our knees gone through a lot in the past, but the revision generally takes a lot of work by the surgeon, which can translate to a longer recovery time. I'm basically doing my usual things now, but I do them in small spurts with some icing/elevating in between as needed. I still can't walk great distances, nor stand for hours without a thought, so I still take it easy on my knee as it's still obviously not ready for full days yet. My leg is still swollen and has some good days, some great days, some not-so-great days and a few terrible days (like this weekend). The roller coaster that is this recovery rears it's ugly head at times and we just have to ride it out until we are able to get off it totally.

As for stairs, I can carefully go up them the "right" way, not quickly, but I can do it, but downstairs for now doesn't happen. It will come for both of us as time goes on, we just have to be patient and let our knees take the time they need to heal and not stress them in the meantime. Good luck with your next blood test and keep us posted!
 
It was quite a while before I could stand for even an hour without pain and swelling. It’ll come, but it takes a while. I found key lime yogurt and it’s everything!!!
 
@lovetocookandsew surprisingly, going down the stairs the 'right' way seems easier to me than going up. But going up takes more strength than my muscles seem to have now. It has been a long time since I have led up with my left, so I am sure that lack of use has added to the weakness. My church has such a small congregation, and we were cooking for our main fundraiser on Saturday. There was a 90 year old and an 85 year old working there, so I had to suck it up. The days of the actual fundraiser shouldn't be as hard, as I'll be able to sit and take more breaks. I haven't tried lime yogurt, so I might have to. I buy every fruit flavor I can find to have variety, but what I really want is a Blizzard! Unfortunately they don't have "live and active cultures" and therefore my tummy isn't happy.
 
@MathProf ... I have had knee pain for so long that I ALWAYS go up and down the stairs like a kindergartner. I can't even make myself walk them like they are supposed to be walked. Then I remember when we first moved into our house. 17 stairs to get upstairs....I used to fly up and down those stairs. I know that we age and can't do what we used to...hell, I set records in track and swimming in high school. Now I can't even walk. I watch women who have to be in their 80's at least and they are just walking along like they are in their teens. I know...feeling sorry for myself but this is not what I wanted my "golden years" to be like. I had a lot of plans and adventures that I was going to be on. Things to do with my grandkids that are just not possible....and I HATE IT. Well. enough of that. Back to acting like everything is going to be alright. Sorry folks...
 
My blood test from this past Tuesday was still good. The lab in Illinois calculates the results as mg/dL where in Florida they do mg/L, but I can do the math, so it compares to 3.3 down from 3.8 the end of July. We had a good visit with the grandkids, and I was able to climb the stairs at their house more easily than mine. I am guessing that they have less rise than we do. The big test(s) will be the next 2 weekends with the fall fundraiser at my church. Lots of time on my feet, but I will have some chances to sit, not elevate but sit.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom