Guest viewing is limited

TKR I Feel Like the Tin Man these Days

@Josephine My nurse did everything she could, but it hurt anyway. Maybe I'm just oversensitive to any pain-I know I'm a baby about it usually. I'm betting you do a wonderful job for your patients and they love you a lot, as we all do here!
 
It's so weird how each day is radically different in this recovery. Yesterday, I felt like I'd been hit by a bus, was on a bad drug trip and everything hurt. Think I made a mistake in finally falling asleep about 6am, took my pain killer on an empty stomach at 8am and then fell back asleep until 10am - woke up and was just miserable all day. Couldn't keep food on my stomach, was dizzy and woozy, etc.

However, the good news is I finally figured out the most comfortable pillow placement last night and was relatively comfortable and slept most of the night except for 4 bathroom visits. My husband didn't get up for 2 of them either! Yay - he needs his sleep. Also figured out (or remembered) it's absolutely vital to keep the body as straight as possible. My leg tends to roll off the pillows at night and then I get all twisted up in the sheets.

Made sure to eat some crackers before medication and have eaten a little bit every couple of hours even though my appetite is basically gone. Can't get rid of the low level headache but at least my stomach feels normal. Swelling is down a bit but my leg is really turning black, blue and purple. So pretty. I've taken care of a few of the household paperwork chores and was actually able to read and comprehend the mail today without feeling like my eyes were crossing.

Nurse is coming tomorrow morning and PT tomorrow afternoon - dreading both visits. Wish I was sitting in a comfy chair in the the cold water off Cape Cod.

Once again, all this gives me great empathy for people who live with pain or great physical challenges every day of their lives.
 
Oh - just read over my thread and forgot to mention my comment about being married 140 years. My husband and I joke about that all the time because sometimes it feels like we've been married that long - other times, it feels like about 5 years. We spent the first 35 years taking care of our mothers (one who had numerous cancers and several strokes and one who had Parkinson's) and all the family members who didn't have children or anyone else to help them. We had about 5 weekends a year to ourselves and rarely took a vacation because of those responsibilities. It's hard to believe we've been married almost 40 years - where does the time go?
 
  • Creative
Reactions: DLR
Try to drink some protein drinks before taking your meds. It helps to coat your tummy and the protein stays in your system a little longer. Your body needs it to heal. Crackers are a good idea, too. Are you finding that they are helping? I kept a pack by me all the time. Ice cream helped, too!
 
it's absolutely vital to keep the body as straight as possible.
Really? I never found that. How interesting.
It's hard to believe we've been married almost 40 years - where does the time go?
Where does the time go? In happiness, my dear - in happiness! May you have many more years in like mode!
[Bonesmart.org] I Feel Like the Tin Man these Days
 
Josephine - I know! We had a very tough 35 years and never had that time most young people do when they first get married. We only had one child because of money issues and all the other responsibilities and now feel very blessed and lucky things worked out they way they did. We only have to travel one place to see the grandchildren (instead of all over the country) and we don't have to worry about aging parents when we really aren't up to taking care of them. Perhaps it's a selfish way to look at it but as soon as my knees aren't dictating our life, we earned our free time.
 
It's hard to believe we've been married almost 40 years - where does the time go?
I hear you about the time...we are going on 43 years in September-and the time really has flown! But since we had six kids, they and our grandkids are spread out all over the country from California to Maine. But it gives us excuses to travel. :)
 
Try to drink some protein drinks before taking your meds. It helps to coat your tummy and the protein stays in your system a little longer. Your body needs it to heal. Crackers are a good idea, too. Are you finding that they are helping? I kept a pack by me all the time. Ice cream helped, too!
Does a chocolate milkshake - or better yet - chocolate malt count as a protein drink? :) I haven't had one in years and for some reason, that's all I've been thinking about the past couple of days.
 
I had a lack luster appetite for about 12 weeks. Now I wish I still had a little of it back! chocolate malt sounds good! Chocolate cures everything! :heehee::rotfl::loll:
 
Does a chocolate milkshake - or better yet - chocolate malt count as a protein drink? :)

Yes. :snork: A hearty Oreo milkshake from Nifty Fifty's two weeks post-surgery, delivered by the deeply intuitive Mr. Shoes, helped put me on the road to a lovely, self-indulgent and thoroughly satisfying recovery. I too rationalized that it had protein. And it tasted good. Enough said.
 
Does a chocolate milkshake - or better yet - chocolate malt count as a protein drink? :) I haven't had one in years and for some reason, that's all I've been thinking about the past couple of days
Or a Mocha Fraffe' from McDonalds! Seriously though, I doubt that has a lot of protein in it! I got my mocha protein drinks really cold and they were good!
 
Thanks SusieShoes; just what I needed to not talk me out of that one!

I've been following the progression chart more faithfully this time and wonder - am I doing too little? Sitting for more than 5 minutes on a chair is miserable because of the pain in the back of my thigh (tourniquet too tight?) so I'm either propped up in bed with ice from knee to ankle, elevating, and/or walking around the house for 5-10 minutes at a time and/or obviously going to the bathroom. When I think about it, I do a "few" exercises - but am not thinking much about ROM - if at all. Yesterday, I threw some clothes at the washing machine, folded up a few things, set the table the felt like I'd been taking care of the grandchildren for 72 hours - exhausting. I'm not exactly antsy but would like to walk to the backyard this afternoon after the p.t. and nurse get done with me. Going for a short ride this weekend sounds nice too.

Just a little worried that I'm becoming spoiled and not pushing myself enough because my husband is doing all the regular household things. He's starting to make me a little nervous because he apparently doesn't believe in "economy of motion". For instance, if he needs to take two things upstairs and bring down four things, he makes 6 trips! After I use the shower, he'll throw my towel in the dryer and then throw his in 30 minutes later after his shower. ?? He spends most of the day walking back and forth trying to find whatever he's put down because he refuses to get into the habit of putting the same thing in the same place everyday. It's all fine but just a little odd in some respects.
 
I had a lack luster appetite for about 12 weeks. Now I wish I still had a little of it back! chocolate malt sounds good! Chocolate cures everything! :heehee::rotfl::loll:
I'm not a big chocolate fan usually - my big weakness is Ruth Hunt's caramel which I can't get in the summer; it's too hot to ship from Kentucky.
 
@Laurenkate I pasted the "Activity Progression for TKRs" list from BoneSmart on my desktop so I could read them every day to remind me not to do too much, but also not to do too little. It's a good guideline to follow. Your recovery articles are post number 10 on this thread and the link is there.
 
Yes, Love, mine is on the refrigerator door and i'm following it but still feel like I should be doing a little more. I guess I could pay the bills this afternoon. Since I have the concentration of a chipmunk, that should be interesting.
 
I was actually able to pay the bills on day 8 this time around. But, I had written out the amounts for each one before the surgery, except one or two that were't available yet, so I didn't have to go to my email bill section and look at each one, we only have like 8 things I pay each month, and since I pay our bills online through our bank, it was easy. Of course, I had a clear fog-less brain since I wasn't on narcotics, which may have helped. If I had had to open envelopes (which I never do as all our bills are paperless) and all that comes with paper bills, I doubt I'd have been able to manage it. Planning ahead as much as possible for this surgery has really paid off. (I should write a book with all I've learned about planning ahead; what to do and what not to do) :rotfl:

But you should only be doing what you are able to do. If your brain is too foggy to concentrate on bills right now, you should wait until you are able; otherwise you may pay the wrong amounts to the wrong companies, and that would not be good. But, if your bills can't wait, can you have someone help you? I don't remember if you're married, but if you are maybe he could pay them? Or could you have a family member or friend sit with you and make sure every bill is done correctly? I always pay our bills, but we had planned on my husband paying them if I wasn't able to do so this month.

As for generally feeling like you're not doing enough, you will do more as you feel like doing more. Some of us do things after surgery more slowly, and some faster. I remember my first TKR and how it took forever to start doing anything, other than be ill. But, when I felt well enough I was able to do more and soon after that I was back to being busy every day. I don't remember the exact time frame, although it's in my thread, but I know I felt that others who had surgeries at the same time were doing a lot more than me. But they weren't as ill as I was, so I just concentrated on me and stopped comparing. This time I am moving at a faster clip than before, but I'm not on narcotics at all; and that was a major contributing factor to being so very ill after every other surgery. My knee is still stiff and will swell if I do too much, so I still spend hours and hours every day icing and elevating, but am doing a little more each day.

You're only at 12 days, so should still be resting, icing and elevating all day, walking to the toilet and kitchen, and taking short trips around the house 4 or 5 times a day. I'm still not able to sit up for very long as my knee will protest. Yesterday I had it propped up on the doctor's stool until he came in, and then let him sit there.
In the car I had it sort of up, and in the restaurant it was up on the bench seat. Plus, when I got home from each place I went straight to my ice machine and LD, so I didn't overdo. But I'm also at five weeks, so it does make a difference. But that was my very first real trip anywhere, so I was tired last night, but my knee is fine.
 
Well, surprise, surprise. The p.t. was here and said my leg was straight (knee touching back of bed) and the bend was 90 degrees; she seemed very pleased and didn't make me do any other exercises. Whew. She wanted to see me walk with a cane and encouraged that instead of the crutches, blah, blah, blah. She told me what the goals were for the next 2 weeks so i'll play the game and pretend i'm interested in the numbers.

My husband just made his first chocolate malt too and it was delicious. A little thin but really yummy.

Walking with the cane for 15 minutes wore me out. Our first hummingbird of the season visited earlier so hopefully he'll return while i'm laying here elevating and icing.
 
You’re going very well!

We love our humming birds, too!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom