TKR I Feel Like the Tin Man these Days

Don’t be a stranger! Pop in to visit us please!
 
@Laurenkate Hope you check back every now and then!! I saw one of your posts a while back about wearing Dansko clogs post TKR on car trips. I’m curious if you also were able to wear them for walking around??? :what: I’m a nurse who has worn Danskos forrrrrrever at work and just went back yesterday at 10 weeks post RTKR and found I couldn’t walk well in them. Felt too heavy and clunky for my knees. Which I’m a little upset about because I have always worn them (over 25yrs) and never felt tired legs after many many hours on my feet. Now I have to wear my sneaks to get around at work and they are just not my work style. Maybe as my leg gets stronger? I’ll be able to go back to them? Just wondering if you have experience with getting back to your Dansko clogs?? Thanks :loveshwr:
 
Both my knees are fake and I wear danskos almost every day. I did find that some of my old shoes had wear patterns in them that made it difficult to wear them after a new knee. I got new shoes (my husband never believed me on this!!) and they felt much better. Especially if you have some older shoes that are worn in a pattern, I would consider replacing them. You could at least go to a store and try on a new pair and see what you think.
 
I also wear Dankso's and like @skigirl my fave ones had a significant wear pattern which forced me to get new ones - in fact all my favorite shoes had that wear pattern. It took me awhile before the Dankos were comfy however. I wore a very cushiony athletic shoe for several months (e.g Hoka One One's or Altra's with a zero drop). One benefit of this surgery was getting to shoe shop -- it's often a necessity :yes!:.
 
Again, even if you are wearing athletic shoes (which I also dislike, they seem so glaring!!) make sure that you are not wearing old shoes with a wear pattern. I basically replaced most of my shoes. It was fun to get rid of orthodics and buy cute little flats!!
 
Hello everyone; it's been months since I posted and if possible, could my title be changed to....I Feel Like the Tin Man these Days? Thanks.

It's been a year since my second knee replacement and the past 6 or 7 months have been challenging and difficult for a variety of reasons so I haven't kept up with things here. Much of it hasn't anything to do with my two new knees although there is a persistent problem which is surprising and I wondered if you have had the same issue. Arthritis is really settling into my hands, feet and ankles & I'm grateful to not have that awful bone on bone pain pre-replacement knees. However, I'm having some outpatient surgery on my foot next month and am a little worried about basically being off my feet (again) for 2-3 weeks except for trips to the bathroom.

When I sit for more than 5 minutes, my knees tighten up and I limp around for about 30-45 minutes (depending on how long I've been sitting or not moving) until everything warms up. Both feel tight but the right one (newest knee) is worse than the left one. Before getting up now, I stretch my legs and that helps a bit but wondered if you experienced or are experiencing the same thing a year or so from surgery. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks.....
 
I've changed your thread title for you.

My knees still feel a bit stiff when I first stand up. It does help if you move them a bit before standing, but I also find that taking a cou-le of steps in place before starting to move forward helps too.
 
Thanks Celle; this makes me feel a little better. It's possible I set my recovery back because of some things I've had to do in the past 6 months (like carrying something which weighed 28 lbs. for 15-20 minutes at a time & twisting and turning rapidly and a lot; it's a long, unimportant story). That's over with now but it might have taken a toll on the knee. Sounds like I just need to give it a little more time? And use a cane when I need to....*sigh*
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom