TKR I Feel Like the Tin Man these Days

Inquiring minds want to know what brand that malt shake us!
 
@Jockette - just make my own and it's nothing fancy. Breyers natural vanilla ice cream, 2% milk, Nestle malt and a little Hershey's chocolate syrup. I could use fancier/expensive products but this is yummy and it's embarrassing how much ice cream it takes to make a good, thick milkshake or malt. :)

@sistersinhim - Right? It's so weird. I'm not a real ice cream person - or really into chocolate - (caramel and See's dark chocolate are different stories) so it's odd I've been enjoying these so much. Other than fruit, I really don't look forward to anything else to eat these days. It'll probably all change soon but in the meantime, the weight loss is good.
 
When I was a kid my mom bought Nestle Carnation Malted Milk, it was the only chocolate milk this picky child would drink! And we put the chocolate powder on ice cream, too. Fond memories!
 
@Laurenkate if you ever want to try similar in protein shakes i do the following
1 cup frozen sliced strawberries, 1 scoop Magnum Soft Vanilla Ice Cream Protein, 1 tbsp cocoa, 1 tbsp stevia French vanilla syrup, 1 c cashew milk
That said right now you need to do what works, hope things change soon appetite wise.
 
New week; new stupid question for all you BoneSmarties. (The only thing exciting happening here is I tried to give my husband a break from fixing up the ice machine last night - and woke up at 4 a.m. feeling like someone was sticking 35 big needles into my knee.) Anyway, here's the question....

I know nothing about walking - or hiking sticks. The only person I've ever seen use them walks up a fairly busy street dressed like an extra from "The Sound of Music". However, the cane is getting old and makes me feel old and was wondering if a trekking pole/hiking stick/whatever they're called would be useful when we go on vacation in a couple of months. At that point, i'll be three months out from surgery and we're going to a beach which is usually quite eroded and walking on it under the best of circumstances is tough on my ankles. Almost impossible with bad and or recovering knees. I saw an interesting looking pair of these poles on someone else's thread and of course, can't find it now.

For those of you who use these, please let me know your opinion. Am I just trying to look cool - and pretentious? :yes:
Or do you think they would be helpful while walking in rural and/or beachy areas? In the meantime, i'll do more googling but would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
 
I used just one walking stick early in recovery. My definition of a walking stick is that it’s quite a bit taller than my cane. My OS recommended it. Personally, I didn’t like it, I have since preferred a cane, which made me feel more stable.

But that was in the first weeks after surgery.

I think you might like using 2 of them at the beach. This past weekend I was at my daughter’s and I used my cane while walking around her yard on the grass, as uneven surfaces still upset my balance. We got to the end of her yard where hay had been growing this summer, has been harvested, and new grass has grown in. This grass is taller and the ground softer, and I had a lot of trouble navigating and had to also hold my daughter’s hand, in addition to my cane. I think 2 walking sticks could have been useful in that circumstance.
 
I have two trekking poles - from pre surgery hiking days, where they were particularly useful for up and down hills. I used one or both of them on bad days pre-surgery. Generally when using both I would have them taller and used them more like when hiking. When I used just one i had it lower and used it more like a cane. Mine have shock absorbers in them and are not meant for full weight bearing, but more for balance and rhythm when walking. I am planning on using them when I graduate off crutches, instead of a cane. (I'm currently on one crutch inside, two outside, although today - at 4 weeks - i did take my first few steps unaided!!!)
I find they are great on rough ground. My surgeon says use an aid until you stop limping so my trekking poles are going to be my best friends soon!
 
I have these....
https://www.pacerpole.com/

I got them 4 or 5 years ago - I think they have new models....mine are made of 3 segments.
Mine have rubber feet on them, but I can also take the feet off and switch out the feet. I like them because they are adjustable and come apart to fit in a suitcase.

One of my friends who used to be a PT adjusted them for me. I think they are elbow height. Lower than I thought. I used them for several years before I had my tkrs and once I loose the crutches, i’ll go back to them for walks on uneven terrain.
 
@Eeek - thanks for the info. I'm going to look at the website in a little while.

@DLR - thanks for asking; things seem to be improving bit by bit. Just finished up my 6th p.t. session and have decided i'm done for a while. The therapist is fine but at this point, I can do 95% of the exercises at home and think i'll get full extension on my own. Honestly, I just need a break from all of it for a while. It takes a while for my full foot to hit the floor in the morning but am managing to do a few chores, etc. before being very tired by 2 p.m. Still don't care much about food (it's so hot) but unfortunately, that will probably pass.

Hope you're doing well...will have to look at your thread in a while. Bonesmart is such a great resource, but after a while, there isn't much to say because the days seem basically the same at a certain period of recovery.
 
I think I've decided to forego pt this time for the 2nd knee. While I had a good experience the first time around and really loved the massage and such, this one will be the right knee so driving will be out for awhile. I can do it at home. It really got to be a chore to go lol
 
Last edited:
Today was a "big" day. We went to the farmer's market and then decided to go to the "big" grocery store which I haven't done in at least 8 weeks. They have a new kind of cart at Publix and perhaps you've seen them, but we hadn't. You know when you take your kids to the store and put them in that seat at the front of the cart? Well, this cart had a similar set up for adults. It looked like a chair with the push bar in front and the cart behind it....for some reason, we thought it was hilarious. I still can't figure out how one would get into it..crawl under the bar? Anyway, the morning was tiring and it was good to get home - and i'm so grateful I didn't need that cart. Otherwise, it's just the same old same old. Each day is a bit of improvement but the mornings are still challenging until my muscles warm enough to allow my foot to go flat on the floor. A neighbor up the street is three weeks out from her surgery and still can't even bend her leg! Have a good weekend everyone.....
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
.for some reason, we thought it was hilarious
And if you hadn’t gone you’d have missed out on all that fun!

It’s nice to get out and accomplish something other than recovery!

I also did some shopping today, but nothing about it was funny. I have always loved the grocery section in my quiet Target, but in the past months they have been putting product displays in their lovely wide aisles, and those displays are in the way. They are rearranging the store and it’s a mess and frustrating and extremely inconvenient and to be honest, I don’t do inconvenient very well. :hairpulling:

On top of that, I went to the library before Target, I requested a movie and it cane in yesterday, so I went to get it. It’s miles down the road from me, past all the places I usually go. I found out the library is closed all weekend, won’t open again until Tuesday. The woman who told me this was one of the librarians, she and 2 others were emptying the outdoor book return bin. Hmmm. So they were working but not open. :blackcloud:I could have had my movie in less than 60 seconds.

Like I said, inconvenience drives me crazy, especially when my knee feels like it does. :bawl:

Thank you so much for letting me get that off my chest. :blush:
 
Feel the same about Target! I've only been in there twice in the past 3 months but they seem to be turning everything upside down (different products in different places), displays in the middle of the aisles and they aren't carrying the same brands they used to carry. Walmart makes me claustrophobic (and it's too big, overwhelming and dark) so I avoid that as much as possible.

The people were working at the library but it wasn't open? Weird you mentioned the library. I was excited because two books I'd put on reserve were in and "on hold". Dragged myself out last week to pick them up and only one was available. The librarian had no clue as to why i'd received a notice about the first one and looked everyplace for it. Sooooooo annoying.

And I try to remember that fussing about how everything was easier and more efficient in the "good old days" is a real sign of old age....but it's true. :tantrum2:
 
This has been another interesting recovery week....our dog had to have eye surgery (!) and is wearing an Elizabethan collar. He's doing pretty well with it but the night time isn't fun. As soon as I get comfortable with icing and elevating, he gets up, moves around and gets his collar stuck between the wall and....something....so I have to get up and help him get unstuck. My husband goes downstairs about three times a night to get a "cold compress" for him (which I sit and hold on his eye for 8-10 minutes at a time), and then I get back into bed, get settled, then can't sleep. Ack! (Really, really, really looking forward to going to the beach in October....it's been a long year).

Anyway, some real world experience would be helpful because I've gotten different opinions from 3 different physical therapists. Extension after my first tkr was fine so I didn't use a cane as long as I've had to use for this one. It keeps me from doing that side to side wobble and takes the pressure off my lower back and other leg. The past couple of days though I've been dealing with the dog and haven't used it very much The side to side wobble is much better and there is no knee pain (yay) but because it doesn't fully extend, my back really hurts and i'm more than exhausted and aching by early evening.

I feel better using the cane especially since I can stretch my leg out further when walking - but perhaps I should start weaning off of it? In other words, am I using it as a crutch (no pun intended)? What worked best for you?
 
I would say use it when and where you want to. Only you should decide when to stop. I used mine for about 3 months, I just felt better with it if I was out and about.

I didn’t need it in my house, I guess I was more confident and relaxed at home, plus I had furniture I could just skim my hand over if I wanted to hold onto something.

I will admit I probably would have used it longer but I caved in to peer pressure. Thankfully it was a friend that I really like who made the comment, “when are you going to give that up?” So I stopped using it.

So do as I say, not as I did! :heehee:
 
Unless something weird happens, this will probably be my final update and it's only to remind everyone there is light at the tunnel. I went for my 10/12 week check up with the surgeon who is just wonderful. He came in, shook my hand, chitchatted for a minute, asked me how far my leg could go (maybe 95/100 degrees....maybe), said it looked great. He said the extension would come with time and not to worry about it. Never mentioned p.t. or that I only went to half of the suggested sessions. When I asked if I had to come back in January for my 2 year, left leg check up, he looked at it and said "no; it looks fine". Asked if I had any questions, told me to have a great fall and off he went! Whew! I hate going to doctors and it was a relief to have this over.

I've learned so much from this experience and this forum and appreciate everyone's support. It's really important to be able to discuss, whine, moan and groan with people who have been through or are going through the same thing. If you're looking at a knee replacement, read everything you can here and remember, ice and patience (lots of both!!) are your friends!

Cheers!
 
What an awesome surgeon you have!!! I hope my next one is like that. My current one is not. Was not. I will not be seeing him again.

And yay, you, coming along so well! I’ve always enjoyed your posts, you’ve been an encouragement to many. :console2:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom