TKR I can’t believe I’m still dealing with this darn Knee^

Lotion works than wrap your knee with saran wrap. That might help with the sheets.However it might make your knee warm maybe even hot, but its worth a try. I always wear shorts. Im in California as well. I think you may need to ice even more. I know you said its uncomfortable to , but to me its been my saving grace , I ice as often as I could for my first 6 weeks with proper elevation. Heres a funny one , !!! WHAAAA BURGERS WITH FRENCH CRIES AND A WHINEKIN. thats in reference to your earlier post. Not to be intended to be a insult !!! Hang in there , best of luck
 
icep707, hahahaha! Whinekin!

What does everyone use for icing? My husband bought me a cool thing that wraps almost all the way around my knee, like neoprene (wetsuit material?) on outside, mesh pocket on inside that holds a removable insert that is made up of sections of that gel stuff that freezes solid. The insert looks like giant bubble wrap, sort of, which allows it to be flexible. Each bubble/section is about 1"x2". He got it at the county fair last year, talked the guy into throwing an extra insert into the deal for free, so when one has thawed, the next one is ready to use.

It attaches really well to my leg, but I'm wondering is there is something someone else here has discovered that is "softer"....you know? Molds more closely, hugging the knee more?
 
Hey!!! I am having a FANTASTIC day!!! Knee is still swollen, stiff, leg hurts...blah blah blah....
But there is just something different! Can't put my finger on it...it's just...different.

Have a great week-end everyone!

[Bonesmart.org] I can’t believe I’m still dealing with this darn Knee^
 
Hi Mary, I found a terrific polar ice machine on Amazon for @$125. Kind of expensive, but worth it. It looks like a little igloo cooler that you fill with ice water (i used frozen water bottles that I could just refreeze and water) with a little hose and a velcro sleeve that you can wrap around your knee. You plug it in (it's very quiet) and it circulates ice water around your knee for hours on end before the frozen water bottles need to be replaced. You can buy different sized sleeves for different body parts. When I ordered mine, I couldn't afford the expedited shipping, but it still arrived the next day!

Glad you're having a good day!

Just went and looked and it seems the one I bought has gone up in price in the past few months, but this one looks like a good one too and is $118 with free shipping
https://www.amazon.com/Aircast-Cryo-Cuff-System-Large-Cooler/dp/B000LTKYQK/?tag=ate362da-20
 
I so hope you will be feeling better soon! I have been fighting the PT's who want to try aggressive treatments for my knee. I have become expert at say, "I don't allow anyone to hurt me!" Use your voice, be strong, and don't let them try to convince you that they know best. No one knows your knee better than you. Show it a little TLC. Hang in there!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks, DogLoverx3...I was lucky to borrow one of those last year when I had arthroscopic surgery on same knee. It was awesome! Unfortunately, out of my $ reach....I guess the thing I'm using is fine...have to change ice often, but hey, that's a "First World" problem, right??
I'm blessed to HAVE a freezer, electricity...heck...even running water....seriously, when I stop and consider what millions of people all around the world do without...I need to just calm down and say "thank you"....

26morgan, thank you for your kind words...I so appreciate it!
 
I used frozen ice packs but had a cryo cuff in hospital. I think if I need my other knee done I might buy one for next time. You are right though we have a lot to be grateful for......even this surgery! So pleased you have turned a corner though I remember that feeling, just wakened up one morning and, although still sore and swollen, I just felt like me again!! I still had duff days but could see it was getting better. Good luck
 
My sister knew I am having a great deal of difficulty getting more than a couple of hours of sleep every night and then waking up with that crazy-making nerve pain. She found this YouTube video and sent it to me tonight.

I guess this is what someone in here suggested to me awhile ago... icep707...I guess I missed it...

I just tried it, about 15 min ago, am now in bed....so far IT'S WORKING!!!!!

Pass it on....it might work for others....


Feeling super hopeful!
Blessed Easter to you all ~ Mary
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's 6 am on Easter Monday morning and I've been lying here in bed for the past hour reading through the recovery stories because I'm too damn sore to sleep and it's too early to take my pain meds.
I'm 9 weeks post op now and pretty envious of those who have had quick recoveries.
My ROM is 10-80 on average and my walking is getting better but gosh it's slow and tedious at times. I did enjoy reading your description of your hubby- he sounds a lot like mine! He is a bit frustrated by my slows progress but has been so helpful overall despite my many tantrums and tears this past 2 months!
Anyhoo, that's just my 2 cents worth. Think it's time for a shuffle round the house before I try together another hour in before daybreak.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm at 14 weeks and still cannot cycle all the way around on stationary bike. I pedal forward as far as I can, to the point of strong discomfort, hold for a few seconds, and then back off for a few seconds. I do that 10 times. Then I stretch it as straight as I can and hold. I then repeat, pedaling backward, and do the same routine. I do two or three reps of this. I try to do this 2-3 times a day.

I'm not seeing progress. Maybe I am...a tiny bit. But I am now limping again, weight-bearing hurts now.

I'm scared to go to OS. I don't want him to hurt me. And I'm afraid he is going to want to do MUA.

Life has gotten really in the way, with the death of sister-in-law, and other family issues related to that.

Is 14 weeks still considered fairly recent? I'm taking 800 mg ibuprofen twice during day, and Tramadol when I go to bed. I feel like I'm starting a decline....more pain, limping, weight-bearing pain...of course sleep is still sketchy
 
Hi there.
I am also new to this site and very thankful my husband found it because it makes me realize so many others go through the same issues.
I am now 13 weeks post bi-lateral knee replacements (just turned 50) and have had huge problems with swelling and stiffness. At about 4-5 weeks post op (had about 75-80* bend) I went to the physio and he tried to bend my knees so much I actually begged him to stop as the pain was unbearable. My husband had to leave the gym he was so distressed! Needless to say he didn't stop and when I came out I was shaking and on the verge of tears! I didn't go back and have since done things at my own pace and followed the advice on this site. Please listen to what people say on here (they have all been there and done that!) My progress is slow but I am getting there and you will to. Ice, rest and elevation are incredibly important and just push your bend as much as you feel is comfortable. You will get there (and so will I!!) I go to my pool now and do exercises in there which helps too.
I sympathize so much with you. Remember what you have been through and that it is still very early days.
Chin up and good luck. C x:flwrysmile:
 
Thank you so very much, LabLoverUK! It is so reassuring to me to hear that there are others in similar condition as me.
And Iceman...I will raise the seat even more. Thanks for the suggestion.
 
Hi Mary,
I'm sorry to hear about the bad times in your family. :console2:

Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory, but it's a rubbish pain reliever. Have you thought about taking Tylenol (Acetaminophen)? The correct therapeutic dose is 2 x 500 mg, 4 times a day. That makes 1 Gram per dose. Be sure not to take more than 4 Grams in any 24-hour period. You can take it in combination with Tramadol.

Yes, 14 weeks is still early days. Just keep being gentle with your knee. Rest, ice, elevate, and do those exercises gently. As long as you're making progress, even if it's slow, you are doing OK. IF you get to a point where your knee just won't bend further after a few weeks, then an MUA may be needed, but there's no rush to do that, as there isn't a time limit on when it can be done.

Just a thought - have the family problems meant that you have been more active than you wanted to be? That could have had a negative impact on your knee, too.
 
Research aquatic knee exercises so you get the best workout in the water! Thee are a lot of things you can do in a pool...I have a piece I put on my ankle that is a floater...helps with flextion.

Just keep working and eventually it will come...I have to tell myself that all the time


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I would like to know a bit more about the pain you say has started when you are weight bearing. Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart? And also...is the pain consistent every time you bear weight or just sometimes?

[Bonesmart.org] I can’t believe I’m still dealing with this darn Knee^

[Bonesmart.org] I can’t believe I’m still dealing with this darn Knee^
 
Jamie...when I get up I will figure out location and when weigh bearing pain happens. Thank you for your interest and help!

TamsMom, bless you for the encouragement and suggestion for water therapy.

Celle! THANK YOU for Tylenol suggestion...I will switch to that tomorrow!

Yes, life and family keep on keeping on, don't they?? I'm trying to take it slow, and now with this 100+ degree temps along the So Calif coast, where we live, my knee seems to swell even more, and it (knee) gets a lot warmer than it was a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks everyone!
 
Hi @Danlovesmary, just happen on your thread and wanted to wish you well. Hoping you have a better day tomorrow. And everyone heals and does things in their own due time. I am at 6-7 month point. I still have days that I hurt am stiff and so forth and so on. Though I have an underlying condition RA which will increase the pain I am having in the knee. Tonight is one of those times that both my knees were hurting along with the RA and that is one reason I am still up. Now I have a severe backache (due to RA). When you are stiff do you take pain medication. That would help the stiffness and help you be able to move a little better. I am wishing you the best and hoping you have more of a bend soon. I really would not want you to have a MUA unless absolutely needed. But it may be a good idea to call the OS and just let him know how you are feeling now. Good luck with the knee. Water therapy sounds really good. I take a line dancing class once a week for the movement and to get my coordination going.
 
I'm sorry to hear you're up right now, in pain....I am watching American Idol, recorded from earlier. My husband is a manager in a fancy-schmanzy restaurant so I'm alone every night - with the dogs.

Thank you for the encouragement and I will say an extra prayer for you to get some rest.
 
Hi again Danlovesmary.
I have just noticed that you had your surgery the same day I had my bi-lateral TKRs!
We will struggle on together and get there in the end!! I have dogs too (2 labradors) and I am desperate to walk them again, but having to be patient! At the moment walking the dogs by myself is my main goal.:puppysmooze:

C x
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom