TKR I can’t believe I’m still dealing with this darn Knee^

That's what makes this site so amazing. People do GET IT!
Let us know what your GP says...
 
So happy to hear you contacted your GP. Hope you get some relief very soon! Let us know what he says.
 
If the PT (who I really, really like, btw) thinks I haven't reached what I did the last time, which happens on occasion, she will bring her assistant over and he will "help" my heel slide, pushing it further, and then holding it there while she measures. Last time they got to 88 degrees.

As already pointed out, this is a no-no. A knee that is slow to bend will stall it's ROM progress if pushed.

As to your thread title, there are not many of us on here who don't relate. And the people I knew who crowed about how great their TKR was? I hated them.

Regarding ROM: Suggest you take matters into your own hands. 20 heel slides a day are enough. Do them to the point of discomfort and hold. You can do 2-3 every hour or a 2-3 sets a day. It's not something your knee can be hurried about. My knee was the same, and after the PT pushed it to 88 (ouch!), he sent me off with exercises and said I'd be 95 the next week. But instead I was 80. So he redoubled his efforts (OUCH!), and the upshot (or downshot) was that I could never bring myself to go back.
 
So....I have done almost zero exercises for two weeks. My husbands sister died VERY unexpectedly and my knee issues have not been a priority. I know! Wrong!! Am I screwed now?? I am looking into aquatic therapy tomorrow.
 
No you aren't screwed at all. Just get back to doing the gentle exercises when you can. You don't have to plan anything formal, you can do them as part of your normal activities, when you are sitting down, and particularly when you go up stairs, just bend the knee to discomfort by leaning forward on the knee on each step. That's 25 bends each time you go up and down.
When you are standing still, you can do your straightening exercises.
 
We humans! We forget all the hidden, silent miracles going on around us all the time -- and inside of us. Your body has not taken a break from healing and restoring the tissues damaged during surgery. That's 95% of recovery right there.

You don't have to do any exercises to keep moving forward. However, it is wise to move your leg through the full range of motion a few times every day.
 
Thank you again for the caring and thoughtful responses. I hope you know how much it has meant.
My GP suggested ginger in capsule form to help with nausea. Since I have been doing ok with Ibuprofen during day and Tramadol at night only, the nausea has finally eased greatly anyway. So I never went and got any ginger.

Today marks 7 weeks post tkr.

My last experience at PT will BE my last experience there....seriously...

Quick story....my husband dropped me off at therapy and went to do errands. I was there with heat pack on knee for 8 minutes and PT asst started me doing that quad flex, where you try to flatten back of knee on table. My iPhone vibrated and since it was handy, I glanced at it. Incoming call from Arizona, we live in CA. Since my husband's family lives in AZ I sent quick text to hubby that someone was trying to reach me. A couple minutes go by, long enough for me to start heel slides, still laying on table.

Text from husband, "My sister just died". Understand that this was completely out of nowhere, unexpected...she is/was 48. I immediately called my husband. I told him to come back for me right then. I had been there less than 15 minutes.

I motioned for the PT to come over and told her. She was appropriately concerned and hugged me. She then said, that since I was still there, let her get a bend measurement real quick. I had only done maybe 3-4 heel slides, it typically takes me a full two minutes to loosen up enough to get a decent bend and I told her that. She said it didn't matter.

So she had me do a heel slide, I got to 86, hurt like hell, I was bawling anyway because....HELLO!!....my sister-in-law died literally 15 minutes ago! PT called asst over, had me do another heel slide, asst forced foot back further and held it while she got another measurement. I didn't scream, but I swear the sound that came out of me sounded like I was giving birth.

She got her 90 degrees, I BARELY walked to the door and to elevator...barfed in parking lot (that's how my body reacts to severe pain), and I couldn't walk the next day without walker, and that was barely to get to bathroom. My knee was so swollen there was no way I could tolerate the 6 hour drive to AZ so my husband had to do that alone.
 
Whoops! Meant to say that I checked out aquatic therapy. Looks awesome! PPO would have payed, but we have HMO...so no go. But they do offer 3 days a week 1 hour session in 3.5 ft deep saline pool, heated to 98 degrees, session lead by certified PT assistant. It's not one-on-one, but I'm going to ask my orthopedic surgeon to either find me a different therapist, or sign a release for me to try these aquatic sessions. They will be cheaper than my insurance co-pay, but not, as I said, one-on-one.

I have started at home on stationary bike, I can go backward, half a cycle, and then forward, half a cycle. Hurts, but doesn't KILL or make me throw up.
 
Danlovesmary, I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your sister-in-law, especially so unexpectedly. Hugs!! :console2:

How insensitive and unfeeling of that PT! What she did comes into the category of "cruel and unusual punishment." All that she wanted was to satisfy her requirements for your ROM, with no consideration for your knee or your emotions. Apart from your grief, she did your knee no good at all. No wonder it protested the next day.

Rest now, ice and elevate, and give your poor knee a little holiday. Be kind to it, and to yourself. There's no rush to get ROM. It will happen when your knee is ready.
 
You know, I had one son who bullied his younger brother. It took years to modify his behavior, and he's very supportive of his brother and has been since they were teens. But at some point I looked at him and told him, by the letter of the law, his bullying was a Class D crime that was reportable to the police. I was not making that up.

I think we bonesmarties should develop a form letter that patients can send their PTs when this type of offense has taken place. It would contain a definition of "assault."

Of course you gained immensely. You finally got convincing evidence that these people are not truly on your team, and you will be more prepared in the future to defend yourself, say no, or even take measures to prevent such an occurrence.
 
My condolences on the sudden loss of your Sister-in-law.
Glad you are not going back to PT, sounds like you will do just fine at home with your exercycle.
All the best moving forward,
 
I am so sorry about your sister-in-law. How difficult to deal with the loss of a loved one and knee surgery at the same time! I am 10 weeks out and still have days that I bawl like a baby, I call them my pity party days. I am still on pain meds every 4-5 hours, tramadol during the day at work with Tylenol and Hydrocodone at night or at home. I up my hydro to 2 when I go to PT to be able to do more. I am so sorry you are having to go through all this at one time! I can't imagine. Don't feel alone, this forum has helped me so much. It is nice to see everyone who is going through the same thing and it helps. I bypass the superhero's posts that recover in 3 weeks and don't need pain meds, it is too depressing. Please stay on here and keep reading. I have found so much help and support here.
 
I am also sorry to hear about your sister-in-law--how sad to die so suddenly and at such a young age.

I have to tell you that I used a lot of hydro therapy during my recovery. I loved being in the pool, moving my knee was so much easier and I am sure the warm water helped with my rom.

I also would NEVER go back to that pt. Yikes, that was worse than assault---you should have barfed on her foot!! There are plenty of good pts in the world, you don't need that kind of treatment from anyone.
 
So sorry about your sister in law. What a shock. :console2:
 
I am SO sorry about your loss.. I throw up too....that's how I have always reacted to pain.......Keep talking.....keep letting it out!!
 
I am sorry that you had to hear about your SIL's passing like that. And when I saw that PT again, I would inform her that her actions caused your knee to swell so badly you could not attend her funeral. They must learn that their actions have serious reprocussions. And cause serious set backs.

Hope you are feeling better and my prayers for you and your husband.
 
Kinda scary evening...home alone, walking thru house to let dogs in from yard....BOOM! Earthquake!

I thought for a second that I was falling, dizzy or whatever. Figured out real quick it was 5.2 quake.

All fine here, and minor damage elsewhere. Not "The Big One".....yet.
Poor dogs were scared to death!
 
Thank you for prayers and good wishes for my husband and I and family. A death in the family is always difficult, especially when it's so unexpected.
 
Hi Susan1961 ~ sounds like you and I had surgery about same time! February 5, 2014. I know what you mean about being exhausted...I could sleep all day. I'm jealous of your ROM - range of motion. I haven't been back to PT for a couple of weeks, but I'm guessing I'm at 60-80, and 5-10 on extension.

My husband has been great too, but on his days off I know he gets bugged because I can't do anything. He thinks he's hiding it! Ha! Bless his heart....hahahahah!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom