THR I’m so overwhelmed HELP

Hello and Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope the back pain you mentioned last time you posted is easing. If not, wondering if you know the state of your left hip? I thought I had a back problem until I found out it was actually my hip and since my THR, it’s all good unless I really do something to aggravate it. Just an possibility you may want to consider...
Hopefully it’s better and you had a nice Thanksgiving. Wishing you a blessed holiday season!
@Nchiodo
 
Hi Layla!
Yes 3 months today can’t believe it. Well my journey continues. I think I mentioned that I tore my meniscus on my left side and having it repaired on Dec 29th. My hip has a mind of its own. It pretty much dictates when and how it’s gonna be. LOL. I still do find that when I overdo it I need to really take it easy the next day of course with ice and Tylenol. If I also go up and downstairs a lot the groin pain starts. Still can’t lay on the new hip yet. Just doesn’t like it. I wish I could get in a pool and do some exercises but with Covid nothing is opened. I walk pretty good without assistance so that’s a plus. So now onto 4 months. Course once I get this meniscus takin care of watch out. LOL!
 
:hi:Thanks for updating @Nchiodo I hope you’re not in too much pain now and through Christmas as you await your meniscus repair. Just think how great it will be once you’re all healed. Hopefully pools reopen soon and you can get back to doing what you love. A great rest of the week to you!
 
I read an article that over 65% if people gain weight after THR surgery. The average weight gain was 14lbs. And it happened to me. I’m 12 weeks post op and did gain 15lbs. Why is this so common? I realize mobility is limited the first 4 weeks post op. Now I’ve got to also works on taking this excess weight off. Not good for my new implant.
 
Hi, @Nchiodo
I actually lost weight after my replacement mostly due to appetite changes, but I gained it back and more so I'm working on it myself.
As with every subject...there is a variety of information on the internet.:nah:
This study from HSS seems to suggest the numbers aren't that high (
Findings:

• Seventy-four percent of total knee replacement patients and 84 percent of total hip replacement patients did not demonstrate a change in BMI following surgery.)
but does acknowledge that excessive weight gain is not helpful for joints... That would also be the case of our real joints.:wink:
It will take a bit to get back to full exercise and I am going all the time now at my job and have noticed that really the only way I've been able to lose any weight is to watch what/how much I eat.:unsure:
Less carbs, less sugar and less snacking has my weight finally going the other way.
 
Last edited:
Hello fellow hippies!! Question, I’m now 15 weeks post op from buying my New Little Friend (THR). For the last couple of months now when I get up in the morning I’m totally bent over and my back is absolutely stiff. I’ll take 2 Tylenol’s and slowly start moving and in about 2-3 hrs the stiffness is subsided. Why is this happening and how long is it gonna last.
 
@Nchiodo I asked if you purchased new shoes since your THR but you never answered. Many new hippies develop back pain from wearing shoes they used pre-op. An old wearing pattern can cause you to walk all wrong.

If you have purchased new shoes then I suggest you see a chiropractor or an osteopath as this problem seems to be on-going.
 
Sorry I didn’t respond. Yes I did purchase new shoes. Thank you for your suggestions. I am meeting with my surgeon for a follow up to surgery. I’ll see what he advises also. Thank you for your response and Merry Christmas.
 
I don't take anything except coffee in the morning but if the stiffness goes away I'll let you know! I get it in the evening too if I sit for any period of time after doing anything strenuous during the day. I attribute much of it to the date on my drivers license.
 
Do you know if you have arthritis in your back? The first doctor to x ray my hip mentioned that I did and I still have some achy stiffness there even after the THR
 
it’s very possible. I’m going to see the surgeon in January and I’m definitely going to ask about this back issue. I thought after my hip replacement everything was going to be peachy keen. But it seems like a domino effect right now. I’ve got this great new hip but gained 15lbs after the surgery, tore my meniscus on the non surgical knee, and now have this back stiffness. It truly is a process and a wacky journey.
 
Hello,
I hope you enjoyed the holidays and you’re doing well since your knee procedure this past Tuesday. Wondering what the state of your non op hip is? I had back issues before my THR and realized afterward that most of it was from my deteriorating hip. With any luck that is not the case for you. I’m sure once you get your back issue figured out you will be able to drop the lbs. you’re concerned about. Let us know how your appt goes this month.

Wishing you a Happy New Year and a Happy Four Month Anniversary!
@Nchiodo
 
Hi Lyla
Yes my surgery in Tuesday for my meniscus tear went well. Been icing for the swelling. Tylenol is working for very minor discomfort. Ok now into this New Year 2021. I’m meeting with my surgeon on Friday for my follow up to the THR and my back has settled down finally. I’m hoping it will continue. Ready to start taking this weight off I gained from post op. The COVID vaccine is on the horizon so I’m feeling much more hopefully and positive for 2021. I will keep you posted. Happy New Year Lyla.
[Bonesmart.org] I’m so overwhelmed HELP
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom