Husband of a late-August BTHR, looking for support.

One thing that assisted me with recovery from my knee replacements and hip replacement was a cervical support pillow. Designed to support your neck while sleeping on your back, this pillow has converted me into a back sleeper. It's a common complaint that it's hard to get comfortable sleeping on your back after knee/hip surgery.

a Amazon product ASIN B000ET9TXQ
 
@TangoGunn Your pictured toilet seat looks exactly like the one I've got installed and it works just fine for me (I have long legs). As others have said, the walker probably won't work--and is actually much fancier than she'll need. A simple walker with wheels just on the front legs is all that's needed--and what is required by my OS and what is used in the hospital. Not that expensive to buy if you want to go that route rather than rental.
 
@TangoGunn You may find it helpful to use YouTube - it’s a massive collection of videos on the internet posted by private and public sources - to start looking at demonstrations of “how to” do various things after hip replacement surgery. Many large, famous orthopedic practices put reference videos online to educate patients. There is even a well-known series by a team of physical therapists, who demonstrate a wide variety of useful techniques and use of various aids. In this case, I would go to YouTube and type “How to use a transfer bench after hip surgery” in the search field and see what comes up.

The internet search will give you a general idea as a starting point. Your wife’s surgeon, PT, and OT will customize that general idea to something far more specific to her, once it becomes clear after surgery where her starting point for recovery is, and when you’ve had a chance to explain any specific details they need to know about your home environment.

In the Recovery threads, you’ll find a collection of articles posted by our moderators for patient reference. I found them incredibly helpful, as I was trying to envision what my recovery might be like, so I could plan for it. I would point you to the one that’s called “Activity Progression,” where you will see that the first week at home is normally quite a quiet one, often spent in a recliner or equivalent, elevating and icing, taking medications by the clock, resting as much as humanly possible, interspersed with short trips to the bathroom and kitchen.

Right now, we’re sorting out those specific things in my house: the nesting spot, the cushion for elevation, the icing equipment, medication tracker, making the nest better for sleep, clearing a safe path to the primary bathroom and the kitchen. We know we can’t predict how the recovery will go, and we know we can sort things out as we go along. Some other things we decided to prepare in advance: some of my favorite comfort foods stocked in the freezer and relief care givers so my husband can get his rest along the way, too.

Living inside a body that’s failed can be very distressing. Fear of an unknown future can’t be resolved - it can only be endured. Chronic pain and the insomnia that so often accompany make us feel like we are fighting with one hand tied behind our back. There are times when my husband reaches for my hands, and I see myself through his eyes - not painfully broken the way I feel inside, but still the woman he has always loved and always will. And then he smiles, and I can believe that all will be well, no matter how frightened I feel, because surely he could not smile at me that way with such warmth and peace if he were not confident that I will come through just fine.

There are many things I need help with these days, it’s true. But I could not cope without my husband’s confidence and comfort. In your posts, I can see your tender hearted desire to do much for a dear wife who is facing a tough challenge. I hope you keep in mind small loving touches and looks can mean even more than walkers and transfer benches.
 
@TangoGunn Another option to purchasing equipment might be to see if there is a senior service center in your area - they generally help folks older than 55 and, at least here in my area, have equipment that they loan out. I was able to get a walker, bath bench, and a bedside commode ( which I took the bucket out of and fit the frame around my toilet - it was adjustable to my height and had nice arm rests to make standing and sitting easy - plus others could use it comfortably) plus some other things as well. All that was asked was a donation to their program and that was not even required.

While post-op threads are not required they are fun to read and write plus they are a wonderful way to get answers to questions that come up and share milestones.
 
We're now 5 days out from Surgery (Tuesday Morning, 8/27). It's been a little frantic. 2 days ago, we went to our pre-op class and got lots of material, instructions, questions answered, etc.

We left from there, and rented our Fully Electric Bed which will be delivered on Monday; 1 day before surgery - so I can make all the adjustments using my wife, pre-op. It also gives me an extra day, in case something happens with the initial delivery. We've rented the electric bed for 4 weeks. My wife will stay in our basement, which has straight-access (no stairs) from the garage for the first 10 days. When the bed arrives, I'll arrange the bed in such a way, that she gets in and out of it, just like she would in our regular bed, so she's practicing the same way she'll be doing it upstairs, after we returned the rental bed. We have a half-bath on this basement level, and I've installed a safety bar ($30) in front of our basement toilet, and my wife has practiced with it (see photo 1, attached). It works great, being all the way across, directly in front, given that the wall is very close to begin with. "But if you want a shower, you'll have to earn it, on the main level. The showers are for winners!"

After 10 days, and several practice runs up and down stairs, we'll move her and the rental bed upstairs and onto the main level. She'll then have access to showers, kitchen, porches, patios, regular bed, rented bed. I've had to use a different toilet set up ($35) on the main level. My wife is 5', so any rise in the toilet seat, at all, wasn't going to work (see photo 2, attached). This option offered sturdy handrails, but no additional height. Any height, and her feet wouldn't touch the ground.

My wife has been doing her exercises (there are about 10 of them), 3 x's per day for the past 3 days, and she will continue to do them, up to and beyond the surgery, as directed. She's finding the Incentive Spirometer a real challenge. That's the thing you suck like a giant straw, to help work your lungs and fend off pneumonia. And in her case, any lateral abduction range of motion is really limited. She hates the heel slides, too.

I've got no slip mats laid down in our walk-in shower. She'll start showering with a special shampoo tomorrow, and up until the day of surgery, to ward-off any MRSA bacteria (and evil spirits). Standard pre-op stuff, I'm told.

For what it's worth, we've been told that this BTHR will be done, by entering from the front on both legs. Apparently some surgeons and in different scenarios will enter from front, side or rear. Ours will be from the front. We've been told the procedure will take 2-3 hours. We've been told to expect a 2-3 day stay in the hospital, which will include some Physical Therapy, there on-site. That's all for now. We welcome any and all feedback. All posts have been helpful.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Husband of a late-August BTHR, looking for support.
    IMG_0273.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 150
  • [Bonesmart.org] Husband of a late-August BTHR, looking for support.
    image1(3).jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 151
Sounds like you are ready to go! Do you know if your wife will have any precautions post-op? Like not bending beyond 90 degrees? If so, the set up with a railing in front of the toilet might be tricky--if she needs to reach forward to help with standing up, it looks like she'd violate that 90 degree precaution. Just a thought.
 
We haven't been told anything, just yet, but I've still got a 50 page book to get through with lots more info. Thanks for the precaution. The wall is very close to the toilet, but I'm going to really focus on the 90 degree breech and see what it looks like. Thanks for the tip.
 
I had bilateral anterior approach also.
Give her a reprieve on the heel slides and other leg exercises.
Of no use at this stage in the game.
Resting. Eating healthy and getting excited about getting these bad hips sorted and back to life are the the things that helped soothe my post op nerves.
You have been great in getting her surroundings as convenient as possible...but it is amazing how much she will be able to do as a new double hippy.
I am still simply delighted I got my life back sans hip pain
:chuckmarch:
 
I myself only had a single, but my brother had bilateral anterior hips done a few years ago. He was 61 at the time, 280 pounds and so reconditioned he couldn’t walk more than 50 feet withOut resting. He lived alone and had minimal help. He was using lots of painkillers just to get out of bed prior to surgery. He had his hips done at the same time because he refused to be put Under twice. I expected him to have a difficult recovery,

He stayed in the hospital three nights only because he had problems controlling his blood pressure. He was able to walk further than before surgery and go up stairs slowly. One of his daughters came to stay with him for a few days but left after two days because he didn’t really need her. He was able to cook toast and eggs, heat microwaved meals and do his own showering etc, in a regular tub shower. He took pain meds for two weeks, but stopped when he felt he really wasn’t having pain enough to warrant the constipation!

I saw him two weeks after surgery and he was walking slowly but looked better than he had before. He drove at 3 weeks. Doc had asked him to wait until a month, but he started with very short trips. He used a walker a little longer than most because a previous stoke had left him a little weaker on one side. I saw him just today for loach and he is walking very well, pain free.

My point is that your wife may be much better than you expect. No one thought my brother would do so well, but he was determined. It was much easier for me. One thing I always told patients was to not use the bed for anything other than sleeping at night. Put on regular clothes during the day. If you need a nap, use a recliner. I bet your wife will do just great!
 
Morning @TangoGunn. You two are a great team! It's great to practice getting in and out of bed along with the small bathroom. The walk getting to the bathroom "in time" was my concern and why I got the depends pads. Now with that said I found my leg was swollen enough I couldn't wear underwear the first week and had wet myself and my chair. The fluids given in the hospital can cause more potty runs than normal even at home for a few days. Pillows to raise her legs and just to help her feel as comfy as possible. Some like the body pillows, I got a king size one to put on top of another pillow to elevate my leg. Something that I haven't seen mentioned is ice packs. The need to ice is as important as getting around. There are those that have gotten ice machines to avoid having to keeping changing ice packs. I don't know anything about how ice machines work or if that's an option. Glad to hear all the prep work you two are doing, it helps the mind to prepare and except the surgery. You two have a good day and take it easy on the leg exercises. Just getting around is enough at this point. Exercises can come later with the new hips.
 
:wave:Wanted to pop by so as not to miss relaying my good wishes when wife finally gets to wave goodbye to her chronic hip pain.:yes!:
First days can be a bit jarring, but honestly the last hours of waiting is the worst.:sigh:
My mantra was All Temporary...All Temporary
And All Well Worth the postop discomfort.
Sending healing mojo in advance! :)
 
@TangoGunn just want to wish you and your wife a peaceful evening, hope you both get some sleep. Sending best wishes for an uneventful and very easy surgery. Look forward to seeing you both on the other side.
:flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for everything, gang. We've done all we can do up to this point. My wife's rented electric bed arrived today, and I set it up, and so it's ready to go, dressed, adjusted, taken for a test drive, etc. We're supposed to check in at 6am for a 9am surgery, tomorrow. I can't thank you all enough for the kind words, pro-tips, tricks, advice, etc. I guess I start a new thread, after today, in the other section for post-op. I'm going to be pretty critical of our performance over there. I'll be honest about what I did in preparation, that I didn't need to do, and/or where I wasted time or money or effort, but I feel I was able to cut a lot of corners, and get up to speed very quickly with your advice. Thanks everybody.
 
Oh good! Wishing you and your wife the best tomorrow. Really, the most important thing is how your wife feels about the set up.. the preparations sure make things easier..
I hope she is able to catch some sleep tonight.
After she gets to the hospital things begin happening rather quickly and they will make sure she is feeling comfortable and relaxed during the prep and with any waiting.
If you want you can go to the recovery side and come up with your title now.. just sayin. :heehee:

@TangoGunn
 
Your wife is blessed to have you.
Wishing her all the best tomorrow.
See you on the healing side! :wave:
@TangoGunn
 
Bye bye hip pain...see you on the Healing Side
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom