Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Howard's BTKR Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think if we flare up in any way whether it be our backs or our knees, icing can be helpful. Also, elevating above your heart is a good idea while you're at it. :)
 
Not really. I have a call in to my surgeon's office, waiting for a call back. Thanks for asking.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
 
Hi all. It's been quite a while since my last post. I've been doing pretty good, other than my knees feeling a little swollen in the same spot on each. Not painful though. I'm walking 5 miles with no pain. The only real pain comes from a bit of sideways motion, on my left knee only. Like crossing my leg to put my shoe on. Or riding my motorcycle after a couple of hours (the left leg is used to shift).

Today I had my 1 year checkup with the OS. He said the X-rays looked just right, everything feels good. He suggested I needed to strengthen my thigh muscles (quads), that's what holds it all in place. And I've definitely been guilty of not doing the right exercises (other than walking) since I finished PT back in December. I called my PT guy and got recommendations/reminders about which specific exercises I should be doing for that. Now to make sure I do them.

Bottom line. No pain at all from walking or hiking. Getting up from a kneeling position is kind of ugly but not really painful. I can't complain, if I was in better overall shape that would help too of course.

I haven't been on here much, but back when I needed it this forum was a great help to me.

Howard
 
Hi Howard, I'm glad to hear from you and your progress seems to be right on for us one year vets! Life does throw us curves, but we're a tough lot and we do get through it all. Nice to hear from you again! Stay well and stay positive kiddo! :goodpost:
 
I'm glad you're feeling so much better! Thanks for the update! Wow you are doing awesome! I don't think I could walk more than two miles!
 
One more thing. Later next month, we're going on a two week vacation in Europe with the Road Scholar group. Switzerland, Austria, Germany, France. Lots of walking and hiking. That will be the real test of how well I'm doing!!
 
Sounds good hbark! Good point about the quads.
 
So it's been 4 months since my last post, although I still follow along on here. My hiking trip in Europe went well, knees felt real good. Even climbed some observation tower outside if Freyburg Germany ( I think) that had 187 steps.

Maybe I overdid it though. After getting back home, in September I started having lots of pain. Both knees. Felt like a real old man, couldn't stand for long withhout pain, getting up and down was tough. Surgeon suggested my walking and hiking wasn't enough, and suggested a bit of physical therapy to focus on strengthening specific muscles around the knees. I only went once/week but did all the stuff in my own at home too. After about 4 weeks I realized "hey my knees don't hurt"!. So now once again I really need to commit and focus on doing those types of exercises regularly. Joining the gym at $20/month is a lot cheaper than PT too.

Riding my motorcycle is a lot better too, although it's kind of cold for that now.

So, it's a never ending journey with this I guess, but I'm feeling pretty darn good right now, and I'll take that!

Howard



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Sounds like you're doing great!! Sadly, it's a fact of life that, as we age (even without knee surgery!), we have to work at keeping our muscles in tone and limber. But.....those workouts will do the trick and make sure you feel up to all the things you want to do. So, I say go for it!!!
 
Very cool Howard. :thumb:
I just updated the status on my one year mark too (the link is in my signature) and it's good to realize I'm not thinking about knees everyday.

And yeah, I have the $20 month gym membership too; much cheaper than PT for sure!
Congrats on doing so well!
 
Hi hbark I'm 5 months out from a BTKR and last week I told my OS I thought there was a problem with my left knee because I have some pain. His answer was" it's normal and you are very early into an 18 month recovery." I guess we have to step back and realize we have a ways to go yet. We feel so much better than before our surgery and it's easy to think we can do whatever we want. Alas, our knees tell us " Not just yet my friend"
We will get there in time
Wanda
 
Ran across your thread again--how's it going lately?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Howard's BTKR Update
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Howard's BTKR Update
bottomshollow
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom