Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Howard's BTKR Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks. This afternoon I had my 2nd follow up visit with my surgeon -- 1st at 6 weeks, today is about 12 weeks. I got a glowing review! Which didn't surprise me because my knees have been feeling great. He was very pleased at my extension, flexion, all that. Heck, I can even kneel for a bit! He wants to see me in 9 months. Said don't hesitate to do pretty much whatever I want, my knees can take it, with the exception of skiing, running, and singles tennis (none of which I do anyway!).

I do like my surgeon and his physician assistants. As usual first I was examined by his assistant, who obviously then briefed him on my condition. When he came in, he was already very familiar with my status, etc. Just like the very first time I saw him. And gave me his complete attention when talking to me, in my opinion. I like that.

Tomorrow I'm getting that lumbar root block shot for my back pain, and am hoping that it provides some relief, and I can get back on with things.

On an unrelated topic, for anyone else on the east coast area of the U.S. like me who was impacted by Sandy, I hope you're getting along OK. We were without power for about 18 hours but it was not a big deal. So many people are affected in a big way by the hurricane, let's send our thoughts and positive energy in their direction at their time of need.
 
Tomorrow I'm getting that lumbar root block shot for my back pain, and am hoping that it provides some relief, and I can get back on with things.

Did the shot give you the relief you hoped?
 
Hbark, you are doing great in your recovery! Kneeling is a biggie, I'm still trying to master that one. Heck, you're doing great for just over 3 months. Great going! :friends:

Hbark, I'm glad you are ding well down there in PA and you got your power back on. Some of us in CT got our power back in 16 hrs., however those on the western coastline are expecting full power by Monday morning. All along the CT coastline got hit really bad.
 
Did the shot give you the relief you hoped?

Thanks for asking. My back is much better after that injection. I'm hoping that with continuing to do (on my own) some core-strengthening physical therapy (hopefully I will keep those up) (my core can certainly use it!) I'll keep the more severe pain away. Today I even went to the gym for the first time since before surgery (since I finally stopped out patient physical therapy). Did lighter on the weights etc. but still got through OK, and felt good about that.

Hbark, you are doing great in your recovery! Kneeling is a biggie, I'm still trying to master that one. Heck, you're doing great for just over 3 months. Great going! Hbark, I'm glad you are ding well down there in PA and you got your power back on. Some of us in CT got our power back in 16 hrs., however those on the western coastline are expecting full power by Monday morning. All along the CT coastline got hit really bad.

Thanks Jackie, it is good to be able kneel when needed. I'll be driving up to Hartford on Friday and stay a few nights on business. I was up there last year too around this time, after so many people were out of power from the snow at that time.

Howard
 
Howard Sure sorry about your back. I guess you answered one of my questions...the MRI equipment doesn't bother our implants.
What did they have you doing in PT the last month? I am curious about what is next for me and also if you think any PT moves could have pushed your back to the brink?
I hope this gets resolved quickly...you've already met you PAIN deductible for the year.
 
Howard, good idea to learn some exercises to strengthen your core. My husband has some back problems and he found exercises online and started doing them every morning. He would get his coffee going in the morning and have to do those exercises or he doesn't get his coffee. He did get sidelined with a surgery in his neck and was very worried that he couldn't do his exercise for awhile. He said getting that core strong is the answer for a painful back.
 
What did they have you doing in PT the last month? I am curious about what is next for me and also if you think any PT moves could have pushed your back to the brink?

Brownie -- I started outpatient PT in mid-August, and was going 2, sometimes 3x/week. I can't think of anything new that I was doing, although some of the therapists push it more than others. It was suggested (by my "favorite" therapist, who has a DPT (doctorate in physical therapy, apparently), that by my now walking differently -- i.e., without a limp etc. -- it may have put pressure on my back in a different way than before. While this may be true, since I have had back issues a few other times over the years, who knows.

Howard, good idea to learn some exercises to strengthen your core. My husband has some back problems and he found exercises online and started doing them every morning. He would get his coffee going in the morning and have to do those exercises or he doesn't get his coffee. He did get sidelined with a surgery in his neck and was very worried that he couldn't do his exercise for awhile. He said getting that core strong is the answer for a painful back.

Thanks Debbie, it's good to hear that your husband was helped by the exercises. I know I need to do them.

Today I walked over 4 1/2 miles in the park with my dog and a couple of other people. Which is pretty much twice as far as what I've walked before since my BTKR. No knee pain. None. Some pain from my back but not enough to stop me today (and I did do the exercises & stretches earlier in the morning).

Thanks for the positive feedback, folks. I do like reading about everyone's own journeys on here, too.

Howard
 
Oh wow that is super! 4 1/2 miles! That is inspirational. My excitement of the day is I was showing off my cycling skills a friend, got on stationary bike and could pedal forward and backward, full revolutions WITHOUT PAIN. I was pretty surprised because I had only gone all the way over a couple times and it was excruciating. I hadn't worked on it since but voila...guess my knee was healing all by itself without pushing it. Bonesmart is right! We will get there without having to cause ourselves pain!
 
Hello everyone. I've continued to read posts on here daily, but haven't posted myself since my post above from Nov 4th, after a 4+ mile walk in the park.

Well things have gone downhill since then. I guess maybe I overdid it, but I had taken a few 2+ mile walks before then with no adverse effects. And my knees were feeling very good.

Anyway my knees have been sore on and off since then. An example of "on" very painful was earlier today just walking my dog around our neighborhood, maybe 1 mile. The pain in my left knee was exquisite. I even thought of calling my wife to pick me up but didn't. I came home and iced it right away, as I have several times in the past 2 weeks (after not needing that for a while). I didn't do anything acute or sudden to my knees, so am really perplexed as to what is causing this pain. I'm still having back pain too (for those that followed my previous posts) and have another spine shot scheduled next week. The first shot definitely helped, but I'm still far from "normal". I guess it's time to stop with the walks altogether.

It's been very frustrating, after feeling pretty darned good for a while. I know there are varying opinions on here about PT. I haven't been there in almost a month, stopping that because I've felt so good. I will be going again on Tuesday, maybe that will help, who knows.

With all this though I still do not regret having the surgery one bit. It's been less than 4 months since my surgery and I know it takes several months longer than that to heal.

Howard
 
Howard, I read your post above but what caught my eye the most is your last statement "I know it takes several months longer than that to heal.", no it doesn't take several more months to heal, it takes 1-1 1/2 years to recover from BTKR and if you over do, it will set you back even more. Please be gentle on yourself and your new knees and they will be good to you!
Easy does it my friend! :friends:
 
I had a BTKR five years ago---it took me five months before I lost a slight, but pesky limp and stiffness. It was not until about June of the following year that I felt fairly close to normal---that I was seriously getting there---and it was not until about August that I felt that I was really close to normal.

It was, undoubtedly, the most frustrating and difficult thing that I have ever gone through, but I did return to "better than normal", but it took much longer than I thought it would, than I realized that it would, and that I would have liked it to.

I must tell you, though, that now, five years later, it was so very much worth it!

One thing that did slow my recovery down is that I returned to the classroom too early and it significantly slowed down my progress.

By my reckoning, you are not at four months yet, and, as I felt, it should be enough time for a recovery---but, as I found out, too---there is still quite a way to go.
 
Howard;
As another BTKR patient, I just passed my 6 month "anniversary" and after the first half year, yes, the vets here are right, better figure at least a year after BTKR before "normalcy" is back.... I hit several plateaus so far, 1 mile walk, 2 mile walk (had to quit that after the first 2 miler put me down for a week), and this is the hardest thing I have ever done as far as the ups and downs of the mental battle as well as the physical. Our hospital stays are almost exactly alike, 4 days Hospital and 7 days Acute rehab for me. Made great progress after release but then you keep chasing your limits and when you exceed, watch out. I had this notion I would be "normal" again in 3 to 6 months but it just ain't so..
The upside is that wherever I am now, it's already better than before......so, keep on keepin' on......
Good luck and stay focused........
Thom
 
Hi Howard~ OUCH! So sorry you are going through this set back. Are you in the wet part of Oregon? This is your first fall/winter with your new knees. I'm in sunny Southern California and had a doozie 4 day set back a week ago when the barometric pressure dropped, was damp and cold. Is there any chance there is a weather factor?
If not I think you should write down all the stuff you think could have triggered your set back (and then don't do that again for awhile) so you can take the mystery out of this set back. For example I get the most sore when I clean and de-clutter my house and when I go to the grocery store.
The fact that you were in severe pain and thought about calling your wife.... but didn't...might be a sign that you are pushing yourself too much, probably in other ways too.
To me, it is comforting to know there is a reason for a set back so that's why I like to analyze the possible causes.
You didn't ask for MY advice and hopefully some experts will get on here soon and give theirs. BUT I think you should baby your knee-babies with ice,rest, elevation, anti-inflammatories and/or pain medicine, for a good week and see if you can knock out your inflammation.
Keep us posted Howard and it's Sunday so you and your wife should rest and drink hot cocoa by a nice fire today!
 
Thanks Thom and Marianne for your recent posts, sorry I'm late responding.

I am definitely taking it much more easy now than before. I generally have no knee pain that I can't easily tolerate, however over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend my daughters were visiting from out of state. As we've done before, we all took a walk with our dog, just in our neighborhood. I figured if I started getting pain I would just turn around and walk back home. Anyway we walked quite a bit, maybe 2 miles total, and I felt fine almost all the way. I was literally within site of our house, maybe a block away when the pain kicked in big-time in my left knee -- on the outside, right below joint level. My wife walked/ran home to get the car to drive me home despite my insistence to the contrary, and by the time she got back with the car I had limped within one house of ours. Put ice on them, elevated and took it easy after that. Within a few hours that intense pain had subsided. It's all very frustrating (but I know, I know, I should expect things like this could happen).

As far as my back, I got another set of spinal injections this morning. Still not sure of the effect, they say it could take a couple of days before I feel any real relief (there's definitely some relief already). I see my regular doctor later this week for a checkup and plan to discuss what my options are with the back (i.e., is some kind of surgery in my future? or just treat with PT and getting in better shape and all that?).

Sorry if I seem like a whiner, which is not my usual personality. I just feel so useless these days, and I'm sure my wife feels the same way (I can't help much with things around the house etc. like I usually do).

Howard
 
Howard that was not whining at all! I sure didn't take it that way. That place where your pain was the worst is where mine is on my TKR knee as well and one of our Bonesmarties posted that she was told by MD that it's the last pain that will leave us. So now you know you should only walk a mile, maybe less but take more frequent and less long walks. We did the same when family here but my walk was about 8 houses down so I used crutches. You are doing super that you could go as far as you could especially since it had to be really cold out when you went. I think all of this stuff is connected. I would bet that you have strained your back over the years because of the worn out knees, long before you surgery.
We will all be wishing the best for your injection to bring full relief for you over the next days.
Did you say you are on some type of anti-inflammatory drug/s?
Thanks for posting...I like to know what I can expect. You are helping others by posting because then we are not going to be shocked when it happens to us. And finding out how you helped relieve the pain after it happens, what works/ed for you!
Your wife is such a dear for running back and getting the car! Take it easy and load her up with hugs!
 
I generally have no knee pain that I can't easily tolerate
"Easily tolerate" is not the issue. If you have any pain you should medicate it, even if it's only with Tylenol.
Or try tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail.
I figured if I started getting pain I would just turn around and walk back home.
Seems like a good idea except you need to allow for the fact that you have to walk back again! Therefore only ever plan a walk that is half what you figure you can manage!
I am definitely taking it much more easy now than before.
Anyway we walked quite a bit, maybe 2 miles total, and I felt fine almost all the way. I was literally within site of our house, maybe a block away when the pain kicked in big-time in my left knee -- on the outside, right below joint level.
These two comments would appear to contradict each other! A two mile walk is a pretty big ask.
Put ice on them, elevated and took it easy after that. Within a few hours that intense pain had subsided.
Thereby proving you are doing too much. Agreed? :wink:
 
Thanks Josephine. Your comments are well taken and appreciated.

"Easily tolerate" is not the issue. If you have any pain you should medicate it, even if it's only with Tylenol.
Or try tylenol/ibuprofen cocktail.

You are correct, I will try the cocktail on a regular basis. I still have plenty of Vicodin but they don't seem to help. And some Percocet but they help too much (affects my brain too...).

Therefore only ever plan a walk that is half what you figure you can manage!

You make another excellent point. We spend time with both of our daughters at the same time so rarely, and a walk like this is part of our usual tradition and routine that I wanted to have a go at it. Upon further review, not a good idea.

Thereby proving you are doing too much. Agreed?

Agreed! Thanks for the knock in my head to help me realize it.

Kneeper, thanks to you also for the well-wishes above.

Howard
 
Howard;
Nope, not taken as whining... I went through the same frusrations and when I realized that I will be "rewarded" when I push it too far, I became a bit more sensible about my expectations. After a few meltdowns about "OMG, is this ever gonna end ? " I just react to the results by either not trying it again or keeping the same regimen if it worked. I am fortunate not to have any other issues as your spinal problems but we all will have new pains elsewhere because your body has been so misaligned for so long ( I have issues with foot and ankle pain I never had before) and the ligament and tendon geometry is so different. I would not have done this any other way than BTKR and am thankful my journey continues as the good days far outnumber the bad at this point and it just gets better..........
Best wishes on your improvements.......

Regards;
Thom
 
Hi! Howard! Hope recovery is going well. I see that overdoing is still a bit of an issue. So hard not to push or just do too much when we're feeling good or think we have to show off to others. Four months may seem a lifetime--but in BTKR recovery its a pretty short period of time. Take care and slow down when you need to---
[Bonesmart.org] Howard's BTKR Update
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom