Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Howard's BTKR Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you doing Howard?

Are you taking walks still? I read your post about limping to within one house distance when you overdid it. I was thinking that you have a pretty fantastic spouse to go get a car and drive you back home. Wow!

Enjoy and have a Merry Christmas!
 
Hi Eliesa, thanks for asking. I'm doing much better, back up to walks up to 1.5 miles without any problems. I'd like to get back to what I was doing, just over 2 miles, and that will be a good place to be at for a while. I know I will be there soon. I'm able to squat a bit and kneel too, so am feeling pretty good about everything. My back could be better, but it's a lot better than it was so I don't want to sound like a whiner about that!

Merry Christmas to you and everyone else here on Bonesmart too!

Howard

p.s. (my wife just told me she thinks I should get an iPad for myself for Christmas.... whom am I to argue??!! :yay:)
 
Hi everyone. It's been a while since I posted here. I've been doing well, continuing long walks 2.5 - 3.5 miles almost daily.

This past week my wife got the painting bug, as we're having a bunch of people over here next month. Doing my part to help, I've done a lot more kneeling and getting up and down than I was used to. And I'm pretty sore as a result. Nothing that I need to worry about, I'm sure that will go away eventually.

But at 8 months post my BTKR, I was wondering how others were, in terms of kneeling etc? And are there specific exercises I could/should be doing to improve my ability to do that?

Thanks.

Howard
 
Hey Howard-

I'm a year into my recovery and though I've tried to kneel I have not been successful. It's really an uncomfortable feeling, enough to keep me from actually doing it. It's a pain to not be able to kneel. I've posted previously that my OS has told me no kneeling. He said it isn't natural for a normal knee and even less so for an implant. He has told me only if necessary but he would prefer I avoid kneeling at all costs. The feeling is so odd, not painful, but very uncomfortable so I avoid doing it. I have lots of low stools, with and without wheels (like you would use in the garage to work on your car) around the house so I can get low without having to get on the floor. Makes it easier to get up and down if I can push off of a low stool.
 
Hi Howard it sounds like you're doing great! I have been kneeling more and more lately because I've been trying to toughening my knees, however I do it on my bed where it's softer for now and some day I hope I'll be able to do it on the bare floor! Good luck kiddo, nice to hear from you again! :thumb:
 
But at 8 months post my BTKR, I was wondering how others were, in terms of kneeling etc?
My OS gave me the go-ahead to kneel at six months. I tried it---it felt really, really weird, so I try to avoid it now. It is not that it bothers the knee cap or anything---it just bothers me...
 
[Bonesmart.org] Howard's BTKR Update
update, Howard. Good to hear from you again. Kneeling--when you can do it (if you every want to) is pretty much up the each of us kneesies. I can do it---but I want a foam pillow to do it on---and I agree the getting up is not an attractive thing and is awkward. I always plan just exactly how I'm going to get down and then up again. So since it's a lot of trouble, I just avoid it as much as possible.

Take care and update us when you can. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Howard's BTKR Update
 
Howard,
Yesterday was my 10 month anniversary of my BTKR. Most days I feel so good I can hardly stand it...
Still some days of foot and ankle discomfort and a little knee soreness. After I changed my gym workouts to 4 daily 1 hour sessions weekly instead of 2 monster 2-3 hour workouts every other day, my recovery between workouts was much more effective. I am kneeling good and actually have been able to crawl around on both knees with very little discomfort though it is a little challenging. I couldn't have even thought about it 2 months ago. Progress is good.
[Bonesmart.org] Howard's BTKR Update
[Bonesmart.org] Howard's BTKR Update

My 2.5 mile walks are painless and very inspiring. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
In case you haven't seen my pictures I posted earlier, here is my before and after.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Howard's BTKR Update
Great update, thethom, and those before and after pics say it all. It's good to have those to remind you of how far you've come. Keep up the good work.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Howard's BTKR Update
 
I'm still wondering why you said things went downhill! Your recovery sounds amazing to me! I guess it's all relative! :)
 
OMG...did I post this in the wrong spot or something? I can't find it either in this thread. lol! Sorry about that!!
 
Themom oh my gosh your knees are beautiful! Your doctor deserves an Oscar! Tell him I said that too! Holy cow. You must have been in so much pain before your surgery. Kudos for going bilateral too.
Howard the kneeling thing is so weird. I have one TKR and one that is waiting for TKR. The other day I wanted to get something out of ground level cupboard at work. First I got on my left knee but could tell it was going to get ugly so got back up. I can certainly kneel on my bed and sofa for various reasons but I cringe thinking about kneeling on a hard surface. Kind of glad you said no kneeling. I think I will take Bev's doc's advice rather than Tim's doc! I have no idea what my doctor would say. All the docs are so different on their advice about returning to activities. Some will just come out and say you will never do this this and that again!
 
Hi all. So it's been 3 weeks or so since the kneeling and painting fun I described a few posts above here. I've been doing nothing else out of the ordinary -- still walking about 2 1/2 miles almost daily with my dog, that's all good.

But both knees have a swollen feeling, and painful along the sides especially when I lift them like to walk up a step, or up hill, etc. it's kind of frustrating since I felt better a month ago than I do now.

Any suggestions, or thoughts as to why this is happening? I've been taking ibuprofen regularly but nothing else. I read about people having "tight band" feeling, I'm not sure if this could be that?

Thanks

Howard
 
Hi Howard...hmm...not that I'm an expert since I just had my TKR in December, but both my physical therapist and my surgeon told me that kneeling would be hard. Perhaps it's something that takes a toll on the knees more than anything else? It does seem to be tied to it, at least from what I've read in your thread. Have you called your doc? Also, have you elevated and iced? (Yes, I know this is such a typical question.) Sometimes when we think we're feeling better, we don't take the time to ice and all that. I hope you feel better soon, though, because I know it must be frustrating!
 
I thought I was way past the icing stage, but that certainly can't hurt. I'll dig out those ice bags and give it a try.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom