PKR How much do you tell to someone considering surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She has zero pain when walking. The only pain she has is when getting up and down from sitting. She can walk for a few hours.
Is this lady even sure she has arthritis?? If I had zero pain when walking, and could walk for a few hours why on earth would I be even considering this major and painful surgery? when this lady is already living just the outcomes I want to achieve? Stiffness and mild discomfort from getting up from sitting is what we all experience first in the very early stages right? Although she is in her 70's I can't see the point of going through this with so little to improve. Whatever the age I would say wait until you have something real to gain from this!!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: ljm
The doctor had given me no information about recovery. They did give me a walker at the pre-op visit. The hospital told me even less! I really feel for people who go into this unprepared. Knowing I had a resource to go at my fingertips was just a comfort
So true so true!! :iagree: I do not know how folk can go into this unprepared.....but I guess they have to if they haven't found Bonesmart! Thank goodness I have. I am now prepared for a really tough time. I am nervous about that naturally. :scare: If I have anything less than that, it will be a happy bonus..at least I know, so I won't be caught off guard, be shocked or disappointed when it comes up rough. The knowledge I have gained from Bonesmart will get me through too, when I start getting threats about my ROM...I have already got the drift that this will happen if I am anything less than "good ".( the physio actually used this prejorative term when I met him briefly on a look round the unit...he really did! ) so I am expecting the worst! :sorry:

I guess I have always been a "straight shooter" and "call 'em like I see them."​
I am too! I just hope that I will be clear headed enough to remain so post op, when the physio is at me!!! :groan:

So many people who haven't even had the surgery are telling me, "You'll do fine." I know they trying to reassure me, but they don't know
Absolutely Jane! My husband for one ....he means well, he just wants me to keep positive, and he will do all he can to ease me I know. and Jane Good luck for tomorrow! I will be thinking of you! :friends:
 
I do not go around ready to talk about my BTKR---but, when somebody asks me about them, and they are considering a TKR or a BTKR, I feel that I am obligated to be truthful---but the one thing that I do stress is that recovery most likely will be longer than somebody will expect it to be.

I stress patience and resolve---and the idea that you have to be it in for the long haul--and that there will be challewnges and ups and downs, but when it is all over, that they will be amazed at how great they feel.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom