PKR How much do you tell to someone considering surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be honest and upfront with a TKR candidate, and tell them exactly how difficult the recovery could be, and how long it could possibly take for the short term and long term recoveries. I would also tell them about the risks, such as infections and MUA. Moreover, I would be sure to include the benefits of the surgery, which I am now beginning to realize at 15 weeks. The old arthritic pain is gone; I can walk better, and am able to do activities that I had trouble doing before, etc. I would also urge them to do as much research as they can.

I would rate my recovery to be somewhere in the middle of the bell curve. Not spectacular, but not a slow painful one, by any means. In other words, average. At this point, I am very happy with the results, and I know that things should get even better.

My older cousin in So Calif is going to need both knees replaced soon. I've already talked to him, and he's been following my updates on FB. I also clued him into this website.

Infections are terrible, but they happen. I think it's normal for someone who's had an infection to be reluctant to recommend the surgery. It's kind of like when you are employed, the economy may seem good to you. But if you are unemployed, then it's a damned depression!
 
Great topic! Although I've had a straight forward & uneventful TKR recovery & returned to full-time work at the end of week 5, I soooo wish someone had worded me up on the following: the sleep issues aka roaming the house for months at 11pm trying to find somewhere comfortable to settle, taking the analgesia more frequently & tossing off the Superwoman cape for a couple of months!

If someone pre-TKR asks me for advice I'll be brutally honest with them, knowledge is power, so the more information you are armed with, the more informed your decision making process can be. I would also reassure them that little by little it does get easier, just take it day by day & celebrate the small milestones.

BTW My first baby was 10lb.4oz & the delivery was a nightmare, however it was a breeze compared to the TKR!
Love Millie xx
 
Very interesting subject!

Let's see! I KNEW I had a 50/50 chance of getting MRSA in my knees. I had six previous MRSA infections due to a careless co-worker!
I knew I wasn't living anymore! braces on both knees, walking with a walker, and weighing 435 pounds.
The OS asked me "Do you want to live a life of quality or merely quantity?"
So I had the left one done and "only" came up with MRSA pneumonia! :wink:
6 weeks later I was ready for the second, so after he got it on the schedule it was 8 weeks.
My right knee became infected with MRSA.
The pain was horrendous, nothing like the pain of a knee replacement.
I went went through the washout, spacer, and debridement.
I went through, anger, crying, why?, and poor me! I laid in bed wishing it would all come to an end! I didn't care anymore!
Well, after a couple of days, I thought about the reason I chose to have knee replacements in the first place, and decided to get going!
My OS referred me to Dr. Maale, and he told me that the infection in the tissues would need to be completely gone before he did the replacement. So different from what I hear from other OS's.
He has a one step procedure though, and he eradicates the MRSA w follow up low dose antibiotics for a while depending on each person. In my case, he thinks possibly for life.

I can tell you, after all I have endured, that if I knew the odds were 50/50 today and my knees were as shot as they were back then:
I would have made the EXACT same decision! We are never "guaranteed" anything in life, and most people never (only about 1% of the population) have infection set in! I am choosing to live my life to the fullest every day I am on this earth, because none of us are "guaranteed" a tomorrow!

I choose to be happy,
I choose to be thankful,
And I choose to thank God for giving me another day!
[Bonesmart.org] How much do you tell to someone considering surgery?
[Bonesmart.org] How much do you tell to someone considering surgery?
 
Wow..RestAssured...you have been through a lot. I admire you. I would hope that if I were in a similar place, I could have your attitude. But my guess is I probably wouldn't.
 
Well, it is all about attitude. You are correct! :) I could choose to be bitter and miserable the rest of my life, or choose to get out and start living and that's what I am doing! I graduate in December w my Master's that I started after my knee replacements, and I have maintained an "A" average, I have lost 153 pounds, I workout harder than anyone else at the gym and I love it! :happydance:

So yes you are right! It is about attitude! :happydance:
 
Congratulations on the degree AND on your weight loss and recovery!! You're amazing.
 
I didn't say there are not ups and downs along the way. LOL. This is the second extension I have had, the first was for a painful burst of MRSA, this one for my pesky kneecap that is playing games. I have had nights that pain pills were necessary only to read gobbledygook on my thesis paper the next morning! I erased a 10,000 word thesis because I didn't want to wade through what made sense vs what did! :heehee: I have down days, but I realize there are people that are always in worse shape than I am and I get back to the business of living!

The days of my life are passing... How I use them is up to me! :happydance:
 
when i'm asked about my TKR, I try to be honest. I usually say that its painful, that it takes alot from you snd takes a long time to recover, but that I am now pain free, that i no longer limp and thst i am very glad I did it..twice. I . also no longer wear the pain on my face.

I am honestly glad i did it and got my life back.
 
The one thing I wish I had known about was sleep deprivation. Honestly, I don't know how I made it through those first weeks. Benadryl saved me!
Having said that, everyone's experience differs. With hundreds of thousands of knee replacements performed annually, most go pretty predictably: Six weeks of hell, six weeks of getting so much better. I took my first real trip (including changing planes, on my own) at 8 weeks; not recommended, but not fatal.
The other big thing is "pre-hab." Whatever you can do, do it. Swim. Do an exercise bike. Row. Walk. Whatever. Get your stamina & both your lower & upper body strength up. Practice the rehab exercises, too, so you'll have some "muscle memory" and confidence. (I wish I had exercised more!) And try to get your weight as close to normal (or BMI below 30) as you can -- reduces the risk of infection and will help your recovery overall.
 
Echoing pdx:
I've also learned by experience that doing some basic strengthening of your quads will help a bit with your knee pain pre-surgery. My left knee is still shot and will need to be replaced, but as I strengthened my muscles post RTKR, the left knee seemed to be slightly less painful. I think it helps stabilize the joint a bit. So even isometrics I think can help you before the replacement.
Because I've been able to be more active since the RTKR, I feel I'll be in much better shape physically when I have the LTKR than I was last time.
 
pdx, I certainly understand that losing weight before surgery would be the best the best option! But truthfully, at that point, I was in so much pain that I hated myself and did not care! I wasn't going to do gastric bypass or anything either, because I hadn't dealt with the trauma that brought the weight on in the first place. So while I understand that it might be a good idea in theory, there are people out there who are in the situation I was in. If you can lose weight great! If not, yes, recovery is harder, but doable. My risk of nfection was already high, so I knew the odds. Now, I love exercising and eating healthy most of the time! :happydance:
 
pdx, I certainly understand that losing weight before surgery would be the best the best option! But truthfully, at that point, I was in so much pain that I hated myself and did not care! ...
Oh my goodness -- my comment was NOT a criticism, of you or anyone else. I've followed your journey and just the fact that today you wouldn't type "I hate myself" (present tense) is reason enough to pursue the surgery. My point is that I wish I'd done more to pre-hab and lose a few pounds -- I had a long wait to get in for the surgery so there were things I could have done. Like so many others, I said "Oh it will be so great to exercise ... after."
Hope late summer in Texas treats you right.
 
pdx, I knew what you meant, but we have so many who come on to this site looking for help and inspiration to get going. It seems that a lot of OS docs make the heavy people suffer as if this will be enough to push them towards getting that weight off. If I had a surgeon that had told me that at that point in my life, I would not be where I am today! Surgeons underestimate the will of the person. If they are willing to go through the grueling work of having knees replaced and in my case risking infection, then they are ready to make changes. I know you did not mean any offense towards me. I just know that some people buy into the myth that they have to lose so and so amount of pounds before surgery can be done. 435 was hard, but I did it anyway, I wanted a quality of life again!:happydance:
 
I would say honestly that it depends on how bad one's OA pain is and how much it interferes with one's life; and on the knowledge that OA pain only gets worse but TKR recovery pain gets better. I wouldn't mince words--of all the surgeries I've had, it's been the one that hurt the most and took the longest from which to recover. But except for the joy of producing a wonderful son after a C-section, it's also the one with the best results I've ever had.

I had been told in "knee class" before my RTKR that the pain would be much worse and recovery much longer than for a hip replacement, but nobody gave me any other benchmarks by which to measure the pain. And that's as it should be: not only is everyone different, but every knee is different. I have a notoriously low pain threshhold--in all honesty, had I been willing to use braces, canes, and NSAIDs (which tore up my guts) I could have gone a few years longer before my TKRs. But I was not willing to put up with the uncertainty of being fine one hour and suddenly swollen and limping (or either collapsing or locking up) the next, much less from day to day.

My "aha!" moment came during the Bar Show 2011. The director knew I was a klutz, obese and had knee pain (heck, she does too but has lousy insurance)--what kept me in the cast was my comedic & singing ability. She worked with the choreographer to ensure I would not have to kneel, jump or anything high-impact. (A veteran of two arthroscopies, I was already wearing a neoprene sleeve on my right and an off-loader brace on my left knee). But there was one number in which I was in the small backup quartet, in which we had to stand on a small platform and lean toward the leads by bending one knee and then gently bouncing up & down on our knees in time to the music (and I do mean gently as well as slowly). I was practically in tears after only one or two stanzas, and had to be helped off the platform by one of my castmates. It was then that I knew it'd be my last year with only the knees with which God brought me into this world. At the last after-party of the run, another castmate saw me with icebags on each knee, legs resting on a coffee table in the cast suite. I learned from her that her husband was an OS specializing in joint replacement; and from online research that he was one of Chicago's best. He advised doing the right first due to more bone complications.

People at knee class who'd had one TKR advised me to expect "two weeks of hell." My post-RTKR experience was more like 3 days of hell plus 11 days of heck. I did not do pre-hab--I dropped the ball and failed to register for it in time. I was also nearly 40 lbs. heavier than I am now. I did all the prescribed post-op rehab (inpatient, home, outpatient) and most of the home exercises. At 6 weeks I was driving 125 mi. nonstop; at just under 12 weeks I was on a plane to a European river cruise. The on-shore walks were tougher on my hips, feet and stamina than on my knees. The 2012 Bar Show was much easier on my right knee (probably because by then its quad was extremely strong) though the left was beginning to collapse and lock more often (due to having relied on it more during recovery). That offloader brace was not an option, as it clashed with my costumes; and by Jan. I had torn my left lateral meniscus climbing into a truck so there was nothing painless to which to "offload" my L medial knee pain. Same OS, but had to use a different hospital lest I face a 3-6-mo. longer wait for the LTKR. And I learned I had a chemically-induced ulcer caused by oral NSAIDs.

This time, lost 30 lbs. on a high-protein/low-carb diet, and did the full pre-hab. Also got a stash of Norco 5s from my FP just in case. I was sure that the LTKR would be easier. It wasn't--though the new hospital's pain control dept. was amazing, the rehab center's wasn't (and it was on doctors' orders due to new U.S. opioid and acetaminophen guidelines). This rehab center was better than last year's: more joint-oriented, great food, and companionship from fellow patients with whom I could socialize in a real dining room and over movies and ice cream. Twice the inpatient PT and OT as last year. But the PT was tougher.

Comparing the two? At 2 months out, each knee is equal to where the other one was at the same point in time. Biggest difference is that both my legs are now the same length and straight--so I can walk without hip pain and less foot pain as well compared to this time last year. (Had I the time & $ to repeat last yr's cruise, I'd doubtless do better now--especially since I learned a lot more about proper footwear for my anatomy and am now 40 lbs. lighter). Although I started off my LTKR rehab in more pain, I was able to wean off the opiods 2 weeks faster this time. I am convinced that it's not just the weight loss and prehab that made the ultimate difference but also the fact that I'd been eating much more protein--which aids healing and muscle-building. So why was my early LTKR recovery more painful? Turns out there was a lot of varus correction to do--and I had some exceedingly arduous PT in rehab before I was switched to a more understanding therapist.

But here's a dirty little secret: I have had a 3-week kneecation from PT (due to first a backache and then travel). Yet my flexion is drastically improved and I can use an exercise bike again to its full extent.

Let me also say that I was lucky painwise when a car shattered my leg in '96--the shock and worry kept the pain at bay and then the hospital hooked me up to the PCA-morphine pump pre-and-post-op. When it came to the pain of childbirth--my labor did not progress fast enough (though it began prematurely) so I had a C-section with an epidural. BUT the TKR pain at its worst (both times) was not as bad as the dysmenorrhea I suffered well into my 20s and 30s before NSAIDs came on to the market (and when doctors didn't prescribe codeine & the like for "mere menstrual cramps"). Gentlemen, sorry I can't offer you a comparison. In your defense, I have never had a kidney stone, shingles, or been kicked in my genitalia (which we ladies keep in our interiors for just that reason :rofsign:). IMHO, the doctors who discovered NSAIDs and birth control pills could reduce menstrual cramps from agony to annoyance should have been granted the Nobel Prize long ago.

Do I regret having my TKRs a year apart rather than a BTKR? Well, despite the latter not being an option acc. to my OS due to both age and obesity, no. All in all, despite having gone through this twice I'm glad I had a comparatively "good leg to stand on" each time. I salute all of you who've had to rehab and recover from two knee replacements at once--I know I couldn't have done it.

But here's another maxim that should be a Bonesmart Mantra: your mileage may vary. I'd say only YOU know your capacities, strengths, weaknesses and fears. But I will say that my experiences have made me realize I'm stronger (physically and emotionally) than I ever thought I could be.
 
Good for you Sonja, I was so afraid my OS would refuse my surgery because of my weight issue, but he said I was not " that overweight"!
I do carry around some feelings of guilt that some members of my family and others think that somehow I contributed to my knee issue because if my weight. If they do, so be it! I know many people who are not overweight also have worn out and damaged knees! I am glad you stood up for yourself and advocated for what you need! You are a real inspiration to all of us.
 
I do carry around some feelings of guilt that some members of my family and others think that somehow I contributed to my knee issue because if my weight.
Oh so do I!! My mother put on some weight in her 60's led and inactive life, due to arthritis, and both my husband and my daughters think that I am going the same way! I would say I was about 3 stone overweight (42lbs) and I have lost one of those! (16 lbs altogether), so I still have a way to go but I do feel better for it, and my family are very pleased.My husband works for social services working out care plans for disabled people, so he sees first hand how obesity can hasten disability, so I know where he is coming from! So I too feel guilty, but part of me thinks...I have inherited this tendency from my mother...it would have come anyway! (but maybe not as fast????) :tada:


I am glad you stood up for yourself and advocated for what you need! You are a real inspiration to all of us.
:goodpost:
Hear Hear!!
 
Yes, you hear so much that blames people for their own disability. Sure some people are couch potatoes before the arthritis and make their own situation worse. But I think for a lot of people the arthritis leads to less activity which helps lead to more weight gain. It becomes a vicious circle. I think also read scientists are finding out that there's more to osteoarthritis than just "wear and tear."
 
arthritis leads to less activity which helps lead to more weight gain. It becomes a vicious circle
Yes that's me alright!! and my mother before me! Hope a year from now I will be doing all the activities I can't do now, like going for walks for instance!! even just a few hours shopping!! :wink:
 
carolinagirl,
ditzy dinah
Thank you o much for the kind words! Heavy people are so used to hearing lose weight and it will fix the problem! Well, I threw shot put and discus in college and they had us running up and down the stadium bleachers w 50 lb weight vests on! :headbang: I could hear and feel crunching, but back then you didn't dare complain to the coach, or they would replace you!

Bottom line is, it doesn't matter what you weigh, it's how YOU (not Anyone ELSE) feels about you! I went through the family disapproval stage w my sister, and all I did was eat more! Well, now I am in control, I love myself and I don't care about the opinions of others. Sure it is nice to hear compliments, but I don't have to get them to feel like I am successful! :happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom