Guest viewing is limited

TKR How long till I feel better and normal after TKR?

Another update: had another great night sleep, WOW sleeping is the best thing ever!!! One thing I am concerned about is how weak my leg feels still, is this normal?? I am sure it is but want to be 100% sure, also still trying to get some more extension, before surgery it was not terrific but it was good enough to lock my knee for stability.
I am still doing PT, I go 2x a week, with the holidays its been stretched out not consistent enough.
 
Last edited:
One thing I am concerned about is how weak my leg feels still, is this normal??
All normal. You will gain strength gradually. No need to push.
I am still doing PT, I go 2x a week, with the holidays its been stretched out not consistent enough.
May of our members don't go to PT at all and recover just fine. Please don't let anyone force your knee.
 
So glad you are feeling better. I also had terrible nausea the first couple of weeks. Zofran really helped but also make sure you are doing things to keep things moving or that can contribute to nausea. It really makes a difference when pain meds are working. Each week gets a little better I really started seeing the difference at 4 weeks. I know everyone is different but it helps to hear it does get better!
 
Hello, I am going into my fourth week post op, I am having calf pain in one spot on the operated leg. I try stretching and massage but nothing seems to help.

Is this normal? Pt this its muscular but I just can't work it out, any suggestions?
 
How long have you had it? Is it hot and red? Have you tried ice or heat? If it continues you should call your doctor.
 
Going into 4th week post TKR, I am having difficulty sleeping,at night my whole leg hurts, my ROM is not progressing as much as it should.
I just need some encouragement and need to know this does get better .
 
Hello @Bosoxjc3
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.
 
Going into 4th week post TKR, I am having difficulty sleeping,at night my whole leg hurts, my ROM is not progressing as much as it should.
I just need some encouragement and need to know this does get better .
Yes, it does get better, but not overnight. By 6 months you should start to feel really close to normal. Each knee is different and your knee is right where it's supposed to be right now. Your ROM can change from day to day and go up and down. This is also normal. Please try not to worry. Working too much, trying to improve your ROM will cause your knee to swell, which lessens the ROM. Continue to elevate and ice for 45 to 60 minutes at a time. That should bring your swelling back down.
 
Thank you, some days its really hard!! I have to keep reminding myself its a marathon not a Sprint
 
4 weeks post op and I tried going back to work Part time, to say it was difficult is an understatement. Icing and elevating while at work is almost impossible, by the end of the second part time day I could barely walk.
Has anyone gone back to work after 4 weeks? And how did you make it work?
 
@Bosoxjc3 Four weeks out from major surgery is way to early to go back to work. The recommended time off work for joint replacement is 10-12 weeks and then a phased return. You run the risk of developing chronic pain. Can you get more time off? Have you even had your post op followup?
 
I can get more time off. I was thinking I need at least 2 more full weeks.
I did have my 1st post op appointment, the OS said whatever Pt decides about my return to work is ok as long as I dont regress in PT.
I do feel like it was to soon and to hard to manage with ice and elevation
 
I would strongly urge you to take more time off. Even 6 weeks is too early. This is major surgery and your poor knee needs time to heal. And if you are going to work I wouldn't also go to PT. You are getting plenty of PT at work.
 
Help!! Going into 6th week post op and my ROM is stuck at 110 bend, no matter how much stretching i do I cant get it past 110 and my extension is -2, my knee won't lock still, which makes standing for more than 15 minutes tough.
How can I get my range of motion moving??
 
Are you icing and elevating. At only 6 weeks there is still plenty of internal and external swelling. It is this inflammation that is limiting your ROM progression. Ice for 45-60 minutes several times per day.

In any case there is no rush to increase ROM. Your numbers look pretty good for just 6 weeks!
 
A bend of 110 at 6 weeks is actually very good, My ROM continued to improve throughout my second year post op, and my third. There is no “window of opportunity.”

no matter how much stretching i do I cant get it past 110
Too much effort will cause additional swelling, which will block your ROM.

You are 6 weeks into a recovery that takes an average of 52 weeks, so try to be patient, your knee is doing it’s best to heal from this surgery that causes a lot of trauma. It will improve, just not as fast as you want it to.
 
Are you icing and elevating. At only 6 weeks there is still plenty of internal and external swelling. It is this inflammation that is limiting your ROM progression. Ice for 45-60 minutes several times per day.

In any case there is no rush to increase ROM. Your numbers look pretty good for just 6 weeks!
I am icing and elevating, it is still swollen but has gone down quit a bit. I just don't want that window to close on me:(
 
Going into 6th week post op and my ROM is stuck at 110 bend, no matter how much stretching i do I cant get it past 110 and my extension is -2,
You would not believe how many of us would want these numbers at 6 weeks! Your numbers are great! I can't imagine how good they'll be in a year. As your swelling goes down those numbers will improve even more. Don't be discouraged you are doing quite well.
 
Having been thru multiple replacement all on left knee healing time varies your ROM may stay at 110 for weeks so what the average time it takes for someone to heal from this surgery is a year. That to varies could be 6 months could be longer in my case probably 12 months plus. Personally I could careless if someone says you should be a x by certain date. If you take 10 who have had a TKR I would bet money no one out of the ten is going to heal the same. Your ROM of motion is have patience do not over do exercises all that does is increase swelling and more pain end result moving backwards not forwards. Stop worry yeah pain stinks boy do I know you will be fine.
 
Back
Top Bottom