Guest viewing is limited

TKR How long till I feel better and normal after TKR?

Oh, I forgot to add, I never went back to the pool. I cancelled those remaining pool sessions for the next 4 weeks, and only kept the Friday appointments that were in the office, but then I cancelled 2 of those, so that my second month, I only went to PT twice, and learned to say no, and controlled the sessions. I was discharged at 8 weeks and was so relieved!
 
Has anyone had luck with aquatic PT therapy as opposed to regular PT?
Be very careful if you decide this is for you. Water workouts are deceiving. You are weightless in water so tend to move more. It's only after the session that you realise you did more than your knee could tolerate.
So true. I found this to be the case when I tried doing some things in the pool at 12 weeks.
 
Hate to say this but no matter what you do you will not get immediate results, it takes time. Odds are this is your first TKR based on your questions, this is my 7th total replacement on the same knee and the 20th surgery I have had on my knee. I have been to PT countless times. What I suggest does work over time. You have to have patience, it may take 3 months before you start to feel better. Since it's your first TKR if all goes extremely well, by the 6th month it can be pretty much back to normal, though some may take up to a year. This is all from first-hand experience.
It is my first knee replacement and only the 2nd ever surgery in my 54 yrs of living , it is a process and I am not very patient, but I will get through this one way or another, I ask alot if questions because it is very new to me, I am trying to Navigate this as best as I can
@Bosoxjc3 ... don't despair! We all kind of learn as we go with recovery from joint replacement surgery. Each person's body is unique and actually each surgery a person has is also unique. It's never a good idea to try and compare recoveries.

A better approach is to start slow with any exercise or activity, do it and then take a day or two to see what the effect is on your knee. If there is no increased pain or swelling, then you can gradually up the activity or exercise. Then repeat. If you experience pain during an exercise or activity - stop immediately as your body is not ready for that just yet. And if you experience pain or swelling in the 24-48 hours following an activity or exercise, that's your body saying to slow down a bit before working at that level. This is called "listening to your body" and it is absolutely the BEST way to have a successful recovery.

You're just slightly over a month out from your surgery. Please go back and read the basic recovery articles left for you in post #2 of your thread. Recovery takes time and you must learn to be patient. One thing to especially be patient about is regaining extension. It's usually the last thing to return. Walking helps as long as you're not limping. The motion of a normal gait where you place your heel down first and roll through to push off from the ball of your foot is one of the best ways to gently stretch out your muscles for better extension. A caution, though....use a walker or whatever aid you need to support you so that you have a good, strong gait with no limp.

As long as you have swelling, you're not going to have your full range of motion. Your main goal right now is to keep pain and swelling minimized. While you should be moving around for 5-10 minutes every hour or two during the day, the rest of your time should be spent icing, elevating and taking something for any pain you're having (Tylenol is fine) until that swelling reduces.
 
Last edited:
It really amazes me how some are so paranoid about their ROM. I have been thru this ordeal way too many times. Your ROM will come back just by doing everyday normal activities. If you want to allow therapists to cause you lots of pain with increased swelling just so they can say you improved by a few degrees it's your knee go for it. If you hate pain, (I know I do), do not worry about it, ROM will come back it just takes time could be months, could be longer and for those that think the harder I try the faster I will heal. Good luck with that line of thinking.

Bottom Line no one heals the same we are all different. Just because a Dr., a nurse, or a therapist claims that at a certain period after surgery you should be at a certain degree, sorry to inform you that is false. If the therapist you currently have is causing you too much pain get a different one. He/she is not paying you, you are paying them. Not trying to upset anyone but really, as much info and suggestions on how to proceed after surgery are on this site and then the advice is not followed, go figure on your progress.
I totally agree with you!! People do PT and then exercises like crazy, then complain that they still have swelling and pain!!! Kind of a no brainer....less pain..more gain!!! Listen to what the Bonesmart philosophy is telling you! Yes, forget about the numbers.....the ROM will come..not overnight, mind you!! As stated a hundred times...this is a marathon...not a sprint! That ain't no lie!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pool and returned to it as soon as my scar healed. I did not do active "PT exercise" in the pool, just gentle movements and gradually added some exercises. If I had pain, I just walked around in the pool for a few days. Loved the pool, just use it, just don't abuse it!
 
Your so lucky to have a pool. If I had a pool I truly think it would help so much! Good for you for using that to help pain!!
 
I am going to try aquatic therapy Tuesday, my Dr said Aquatic PT, is a wonderful idea. My ROM is to 120 and extension is 0. I will let you know how it goes.
 
You definitely don't need to worry about ROM @Bosoxjc3. I was 120 and +4 at one year, at just after 2 years I'm at about 140 and -1-2. Just listen to your body after the aquatic therapy. If can be easy to do too much in that semi weightless environment. You have great ROM for so early, no need to hurt yourself looking for more, it's coming, you just have to be patient (I know, the hardest thing to do!).
 
You definitely don't need to worry about ROM @Bosoxjc3. I was 120 and +4 at one year, at just after 2 years I'm at about 140 and -1-2. Just listen to your body after the aquatic therapy. If can be easy to do too much in that semi weightless environment. You have great ROM for so early, no need to hurt yourself looking for more, it's coming, you just have to be patient (I know, the hardest thing to do!).
Do you limp with -1,-2 for your extension?
 
Not in the slightest, and I believe my extension will continue to improve. I walked with no noticeable limp at +4, people were amazed at how well I walked after watching me limp for years.
 
Going on 9 weeks, swelling getting better but I find I can't stand more than 15 to 20 minutes without having back and foot pain, anyone else having this issue? I am still working on my extension, not sure if that is the problem
 
Most likely your foot and back pain from your body having to adjust to your new knee. It should resolve with time. If you are being seen by PT they should be able to help you with your foot and back pain.
You may want to purchase new shoes, our old wear pattern can impact our gait and may be contributing to your foot/back pain.
 
Back
Top Bottom