How do you cope with......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Should I cancel a skiing trip then??? Lol. Very expensive in oz. not much snow!!!!! Lol

Haven't been in over 20 yrs
 
It's your choice, of course, but I think you should go. You deserve a treat and it will be a nice memory to reflect on while you are recovering from THR.
 
I wish I'd read this thread first before responding to your other thread, Vetgirl. This answers a lot of questions. I'm tagging Poppet....another Aussie. She'll want to know you're here.

If you are already limping, don't put surgery off. That limp affects your gait, which will only cause other structural problems for you to overcome. You are fortunate to have this diagnosis at a time when many surgeons have come out of the dark ages and recognize that a person doesn't need to wait till their sixties to reclaim their life.

Sharon
 
That was my next question.....what is all this talk about gait???? It seems hard to justify THR for a little pain but only a limp if you get me????

I already love this site!!!!!
 
I have two fake knees---one is four and one is three!! I have been skiing since 6 mo after the first surgery. I am a ski instructor and have lots of business teaching people with artificiall joints.

Mostly, I ski an easy style---but I ski bumps, steeps and mostly black runs. I don't always ski all day like I used to--but then, I am 69 now and four hours of good skiing is nothing to sniff at!!!

Mostly I ski better now because aI don't have wonky joints throwing me out of balance. I have had lots of falls---but, just get up and move on.

Gait--is the normal walk of your body. If you are limping, then one side is taking all of the weight from the other side. That side is getting worn out faster than if you had a normal---balanced gait. If one hip is constantly going up to accomadate the pain, limp--- then, that side is taking a beating and probably affecting your spine which is thus rubbing in all the wrong places.

A limp is serious---your spine, hips and knees are no longer in alignment and are wearing on parts that should not be touching. I understand about fear of surgery---I waited so long for my left replacement and it is okay, but my right, which was replaced earlier in the process of degeneration feels wonderful, I forget all about it. My left is better, but not like my right--frankly I think that I was wrong to wait so long. I told my doc I thought I could last another year--and he simply said, "Why". Why wait for the inevitable and damage your joint even more?
 
Thanks so much or that great advice. You are all so knowledgable.

I suppose it's just hard to justify when my pain is bearable.....my surgeon said could I justify the surgery for the pain I have now. I couldn't But the more I read here the more I can see the benefits of doing it whilst I'm still able bodied etc

Food for thought!!!!

Thank u :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
 
Vetgirl....obviously we cannot possibly know what your pain level is and at a young age (haha best thing about needing a hip replacement is everyone telling you how young you are!), there definitely is a case to wait as long as possible. Obviously the chance of revision surgery is very very high (yes I know there are some that have lasted 30-40 yrs but I hope to live past 70!). You will know when you have had enough. I am not sure if you have to go on the public waiting list or can go private. I went private and literally could book my operation in two weeks time so I did not need to make a quick decision. Hope this is helping not confusing you lol.
 
Any other Aussies here?

Wahoo... Another Aussie girl.. So sorry Vetgirl, that I missed welcoming you aboard.. I will read through your entire threads today however, I just wanted to touch base with you and welcome you to the forum.. hugs from another Aussie :)
 
Any other Aussies here?

Vetgirl, daykat here from Western Australia. I'm 3 weeks post surgery and like you (and I suspect most of us) I was terrified of the surgery, but it wasn't anywhere near as horrendous as I expected. (though I am glad I didn't watch videos of hip surgery BEFORE the op!) I am recovering ok, slower than I anticipated - no tap-dancing on the operating table for me! - but generally in the right direction. I am surprised at how easily I get exhausted but again I am hearing that this is "normal". Patience is not my strong point, I am thinking I have lessons to learn here. Lots of support and great advice here on the forums.

One step at a time.
 
Thanks Poppet and daykat....I have started reading poppets story but will hunt down your Daykat....
 
Back again Vetgirl, I read you are having a cortisone injection next week, and planning a skiing holiday..

When is your holiday ?

I experienced the click in the hip about six years before I had my THR.. Wish I had listened a bit harder and gone and had the surgery. I am a cross country skier, but haven't had the opportunity to get back into it.. A little activity called work gets in the way :)

So I took up Nordic Walking which is very similar to CC but without the snow :rotfl:
 
Poppet, can you believe it, I've done cross country skiing a couple of times, and it was in Australia. I loved it.
 
Hi Poppett I am talking to my hubby about a ski holiday before I deteriorate more. Maybe August September?

I've had much less pain this week but haven't worked much as been to drs and had my daughter in a musical so it does seem to be worse the more I'm on it. So nice to only wake once a night and sleep pretty well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom