THR Hot Chocolate's Recovery Thread

I'm so glad your trip went well! I suspect you are a favorite Aunt and he will remember these times fondly. I find i can actually be on my feet a fare bit - more than i thought. I suspect your swimming is probably helping build stamina and strength allowing you to do more. Yea not looking forward to the getting dressed after swimming. It was a pain before surgery! Trying to tug on clothes while still damp. Urgh ...but i imagine swimming feels so so good....lol
 
Sounds like a fun day with your sister & nephew. Those are "forever" memories.
You will find when kids get older the crazy things they remember that you didn't even think impacted them at the time. My sons are 53 & 47 but when they were early teens I had rented this house where we ended up living for 13 years before we went & bought a home. The house was comfortable but not luxurious by any means. Well to this day they talk about how much they loved living there. And both my sons are very successful with gorgeous homes and families of their own now.
So you just never know!
 
It sounds like fun. The only thing that stops me is I can be a bit claustrophobic if I feel trapped, which I'm guessing I may feel locked in a room. Obviously they must monitor the rooms with cameras and if someone sent out a distress signal they'd come to your rescue, right?

I am one of those that prefers the seat next to the aisle and don't care to be in the middle of crowd. I prefer to be near exits also, lol. I was stuck in a large venue once where someone opened a canister of tear gas and it was rather frightening as people began fleeing and running into one another because you couldn't keep your eyes open, but only for seconds, to hopefully see what direction you were heading in. People could have been trampled, but thankfully no one was.

Its good the standing didn't bother you! Those long drives though, ugh...they can be a bear for sure. Nine weeks already! I say "already" but to likely doesn't feel like that to you. I hope you enjoyed the pool on Thursday and I wish you a very Merry Christmas as you create new memories with family to take with you when you relocate.
@Hotchocolate

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
@Layla they do have a call button if you need any kind of help, so yeah you could bail if it was too much.

There's also games called EXIT that are one-time use board games that are very much like escape rooms. They're hard :loll:but they also have clue cards. Maybe bringing the game to your living room would be better!

Have a great Christmas as well
 
Overall, this week has been good. I'm starting to be able to lay on my side for short amounts of time, and in the mornings I can get around the house without the cane.

But out of all the stupid, little things to completely exhaust me, standing and trying to unwind the lights of the Christmas Tree. I had to go lay down because it felt worse than burpees used to lol I'm avoiding ODIC by saving the rest tomorrow
 
Baby's first walk without a cane. For comparison, BEFORE surgery not only did I have to use a cane, but my pace would be over 36min for a mile (1.6 km)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Hot Chocolate's Recovery Thread
    Screenshot_2024-01-07-11-48-01-264.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 73
Great news! That is such a good feeling and nice milestone to hit.
Enjoy those walks! :walking:
@Hotchocolate
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, HC!
I hope you have a fantastic weekend!
@Hotchocolate
 
Not quite 4 months, but yesterday I had X-rays done. The cracked bone has healed, and now my surgeon wants me working on the treadmill and elliptical to regain some of the muscle I lost before surgery. After a month a this, I can try a Zumba class :spin::loveshwr::catdance:

I'm also going to start strength training 2x a week (with the TRX straps for safety, especially with squats).

For me, the is a big step to feeling "normal" again, so I'm very excited.

Hope the rest of you are walking and icing and staying out of ODIC
 
Yay! That's so exciting! You must be so thrilled.

I'd love to hear how your Zumba sessions go- that's something I am hoping to do in the future.
 
Is it possible to change this to "Hot Chocolate's Recover Thread?" I probably will only pop in here monthly just for a personal recovery journal, and it'd be easier to find my thread if my name was at the beginning of the title.

5 month (tomorrow) update:

Things that are still healing
  1. Lying on Op side is still uncomfortable. I can for a few mins, but not long enough to sleep on that side.
  2. Plenty of little aches and twinges.
  3. Low back is still trying to compensate for some of the leg/lower core weakness, so I have to be *careful* in the gym, and more so doing chores.
  4. My quad and outer thigh are still mostly numb (have been since surgery). Lately I've been getting 'zapped' I'm not sure if that's because the Femoral nerve is trying to heal, or if it's just permanently fried. It's still better than the nerve pain I was dealing with before surgery, so I'm not complaining. It is bonkers to feel like TV snow and static lives in your leg sometimes though.
  5. I can walk 3 miles, but boy do I feel it along my entire lower posterior chain, abductor, and adductor muscles. I usual do 1-2 miles and supplement the rest of my steps with walking videos because they're easier than outside walking alone.
Things that are a lot better now

  1. No more cane, yay!
  2. For the first time in a year, I was able to hit the bench press (although I'm only pressing the bar right now). Long before surgery, I couldn't bear the position because it felt like my leg was getting wrenched out of my hip socket.
  3. Same with planks and other exercises. I can only hold plank for 45 seconds instead of 2-3 minuets now, but I can practice again and build it up.
  4. Get 10k-13k steps most days (before I had to get on a cane pre-surgery, 15k or more was normal, and even after the cane, I was still getting 10k steps or more, so @ anyone looking at this and thinking they're not doing well b/c they're not walking this much, you probably didn't think a 5 miles jog was a fun break from the rest of your day either, so please don't compare apples to oranges. It's not a fair comparison).
  5. More normal things like chores and shopping are reasonable to do.

I'm really good at waking up every morning and running (briskly walking?) right up to brink of ODIC, and then chilling for the rest of the day so I never get too sore or achy. The "training readiness" feature in my Garmin watch app is a huge help because if it starts to drop too low, I know it's time to stop even if I'm feeling like a super hero that day lol
 
@Hotchocolate It is wonderful to hear from you and to see you are doing well! Yes sleeping on a new hip does take time .... more than you would expect! I can't recall exactly how long it took me to be able to do that ( and having 2 new hips at once boy did I hate sleeping on my back!) but I think it was at least 6 months. At first it felt like I was trying to sleep on a brick. I found even after being able to sleep on my side that putting a pillow between my legs helped a lot. I particularly needed that -- and used a long rectangular pillow - as I was getting cramps in my feet but supporting those with the pillow did help.

And the aches and twinges did continue for quite a while too.

Often times those "zaps" or "zingers" herald the regeneration of nerve tissue ... so hopefully this is a sign for you that those numb areas are coming back to life!
 
@Hotchocolate pretty good update, you're steadily progressing. I tell you, that sleeping on the replacement side seemed like it took forever before I could do it and comfortably. It does come though.

Congrats on no more cane, that's a heck of a milestone considering you were needing to use one prior to surgery. I had started using one pre-op as well, think I finally gave it up about 6 months post op. But everyone is different.

Happy to hear that you know not to push the limit into the ODIC. Definitely don't want to go there is you can avoid it.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom