THR Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Sorry you have to ride the roller coaster at work. But at least now you know you will be staying. Hard choice on the health club. If you think you will use it enough I go for it.
 
I say join the Swanky Spa if it's within the budget, you enjoy your time there and know you'll spend enough time there to make it worthwhile financially. Great exercise for your new hip.
Watching the fit blokes swimming from the comfort of the hot tub can't hurt, right? :wink: Especially if they look like this > :swim: :heehee:
Hope you're having a sweet Sunday!
@SurreyGirl
 
Well, I am personally motivated to use something if I spend an unconscionable amount of money on it, so I'm all for go with swank IF that means you'll use it. Swimming sounds like it is great exercise for you and will continue to be beneficial as your hip recovers. I understand that the finances need to be thought through carefully, but I agree with @Layla that if it's within budget, go for it! You only have one life, live it the way YOU want.
 
@SurreyGirl I say join and do the things you enjoy. If you get two to three times a week out of it doing something you are finding fun and soical, as well as admiring the view, and most of all getting fitter, why not! I have found the exercises, and walking and hiking (just can't seem to get to the gym to do the elliptical...PT says I'll get more bang for my buck to hike...as long as I keep my heart rate up) have only helped my recovery :dancy:!
 
Thanks everyone.

Btw progress re the itching scar. I took the advice here and put a big soft woolly hat between my hip and the seatbelt. I also switched to the Avedo oil cream which is much thicker than E45. I also do some standing on top toe, squeezing glutes and stretching immediately after getting out of the car before walking the 5 mins to the office. And I think things are improving.


Running another course this week which involves climbing up and down a steep hill plus steps 2-3 x a day so getting plenty of exercise.

“Hermione” moaned at me when I got home last night so I applied an icepack for 40 mins and put my feet up. It worked... now into my 9th month post op so am really wanting to improve greatly and be less stiff. Using the Leki less and less too and I just take smaller steps and slow down if I get tired... all good!
 
I think you're doing amazingly well! All the driving, a high powered job, social activities, physical stuff, foreign holidays! I'm breathless thinking about it! I'm sure light is at the end of the tunnel for you! :yahoo:
 
Thanks! I have started negotiating re the Swanky Spa Club... because of job uncertainly and the possibility of a move I have managed to negotiate a year's membership which can be terminated at one month's notice if the worse happens... normally one has to give three month's notice. Also the £50 membership fee on top of the monthly direct debit is refundable against spa treatments, the restaurant etc.. I really need to start losing weight so think I will go for it! My job is protected for the next six months at least - realistically nine given the notice period... Have a good weekend everyone..
 
Waiting to hear you've joined....Suspect its the seat belt and a couple of hours in the car a day... I was told internal stitches would last a year.
Nice :angel:to get all that positive feedback from colleagues. You must be one of the human ones.
 
Interesting about healing in stitches lasting a year!

The good news - getting out of chairs using my legs only - haven’t done this for years, right knee much better, the stretching is working, walking better and less tired. Demonstrated a very brief tap dance yesterday (don’t ask)!

The Not so good. after behaving itself for a while the scar is red and burning today. Am taking some paracetamol and have cleaned the area with isopropyl alcohol and then applied a thick layer of Avedo oil cream so hope this will do the trick. It does seem better than e45. I will keep an eye on this and get the scar checked out by a nurse if it gets worse. Fingers crossed.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.
 
Oh my stars...that scar is still causing you trouble?
I think you should let someone look at it.
I was hoping it was just some outside interference but maybe there's something acting up in there?
Do get it checked out my friend...if nothing else, for peace of mind.
I've had elderly parent crises this week so haven't been around much.
I do hope your weekend is sunny and warm.
 
Getting up from a chair!!! How good is that.. without yelling in pain... it’s a great feeling @SurreyGirl.
Shame about your scar... I didn’t realise internal stitches took a year to heal... crikes... wondering whether it could be scar tissue.
Oh and when you lose weight... could you take some of mine please! Not much to ask a fellow hippie [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].
Directly I am fit enough & allowed I’m going back to our Country Club... just water walking & a gentle swim & sauna... no nice young bods to look at... just oldies doing their exercises.

My Granddaughter left yesterday... I now know the whole Patti LePone score from ‘Company’ plus every dance step to Mamma Mia [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I am sure the dance steps will come in useful! I remember doing small steps back and forth across the kitchen to music as I was recovering!

I am joining the Swanky Health Spa after Easter to walk and swim off the Easter eggs and food in France.

@mojo Re the scar, it has now calmed down a bit since this morning so giving it time. I don’t think it is scar tissue as have been massaging it for a long time and the physio said a month ago the whole area was soft and the scar healing well. She specialises in hips and knees and knows what to look for. However if my temperature goes up it will be straight to the GP. No messing about. Off to France soon so will have to write down some basic words in French such as “left hip, pain”, “swelling”, “scar” etc just in case. Would rather be saying “Viande, Vin, or gin et tonique et les huitres”!

touts les Droights crossed!

Another great mark of progress is being able to go downstairs with alternate steps. Again something I haven’t been able to do for a long time. So apart from “Her Itchiness” things are going well. Off to an Italian evening tonight with friends at the local Social club (very different to the ShS) and there will be a band playing.... should be fun!
 
Last edited:
Enjoy your Italian evening... sounds like it will be a relaxed fun evening... just what’s needed!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom