BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Hopefully Hippy Recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by SurreyGirl, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi @SurreyGirl
    I hope you're having a nice day so far.
    I do believe most often the body does absorb the stitches but I have read that in some cases a stitch has come to the surface months later. Not saying that's what it is, only mentioning it as a possibility.
    I'm also wondering if you should set the E45 aside for several weeks on the rare chance it's a reaction from the creme?

I do believe Jo will still stop by, she's probably playing catch up. If a few more days pass and she hasn't weighed in, I'll tag her again.
    Enjoy the afternoon and evening!

2. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks @Layla
    A small victory yesterday. I soaked in the bath so my nails were nice and soft, propped my foot up on a stool, bent over and was able to reach my toes. Toenails cut. Not the most elegant of results but enough... Today I am having some zaps around the scar so wonder if I am stretching something particularly after "toegate"! But a sense of achievement nonetheless. :)
    :swim:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Izabel

Izabel senior

Portugal Portugal
    Well done @SurreyGirl. I can't wait to have a soak in the bath (both hubby and I dislike showers). And the bliss of being able to reach my left toenails again ... but no one will be more pleased than my hubby. It is amazing the little things we miss. I like "toegate" :heehee:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Layla

Awesome! That's how I first did a pedi...using a footstool. Initially I even stacked a pile of magazines on top of the footstool.

I know you mentioned you're keeping track of when you notice the warmth or discomfort in the area of your incision. I think that's wise. See if there is a pattern of aggravation after certain movements or activity.
    We'll still get Jo on the case, she'll drop by at some point.

I hope you're having a lovely day across the pond. We're sunny here today so that's a great start! :SUNsmile:
    Enjoy the afternoon and evening!
    @SurreyGirl

5. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Isn't it amazing, @SurreyGirl, how these little victories (here's to self pedicures!) loom so large in recovery? Being able to do that sort of thing is a major achievement, so don't forget that. To many folks reading that, it would be "yeah--so what?" but recovering hipsters know that any time we're able to take back a chore/task that we were unable to do for so long it's a really big deal! So, hurray for you! Sorry to read about scar "zaps" but I get occasional burning, itching, zaps at the top of my scar, too, lasting only a second or two so I've ignored them when it's occurred. Sounds like yours might last longer and be more uncomfortable, though. But that's what your doctor is for--speak to him/her to put your mind at ease, I hope.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Klassy

Klassy senior

I like “Toegate”! Little things mark huge progress. It sounds like your hip is really coming good now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Layla

TGIF! Right, SurreyGirl?
    Hopefully you have something fun, or relaxing, planned for the weekend.
    We're going to be sunny and warm in my area this weekend, last traces of snow melting away finally.
    It's going to be warm enough to vacuum my car out in the sunshine on my driveway tomorrow.
    I'm excited, lol. I don't like the way those car wash employees (kids) carelessly zip through them.
    I think the weather will call for a nice walk in the fresh air. Hope your weekend is a good one!
    @SurreyGirl

8. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

Have a lovely weekend @Layla ! My car badly needs a wash too!

Had a great night out with friends whom I see rarely but who are good fun. Lots of laughs and curry.... one of them is retiring g next week, at 55 and is very happy about it. He lost a lot of weight by cycling but is now facing up to a knee op. After my description of the recovery home I went into I think he may book himself in there.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:Good for you for getting those toes tidied up on your own.
    Now you need that cute little car shined up.
    May do that today myself (mine, not yours):)
    Need to work on my father's truck also...he let's us use it for Food Bank pickups.
    Hope your weekend is sweet @SurreyGirl

10. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

You too! My car’s wheels are black with dirt. Because the car has a soft top I don’t trust the cleaning guys, let alone a car wash! I might treat her to a valeting to start the spring off. So happy to be back in her and getting in and out is easier now..

I had to do an emergency break at 50 mph the other day and the hip was fine...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Layla

Hi SurreyGirl!
    I hope you're having a nice weekend.
    I know how busy @Josephine gets here and I'm sure she'd get around to the earlier tag, but on the rare chance it's been accidentally overlooked, I've tagged her again for you.

Jo I'm wondering if you could comment on the info in Posts # 1169 and 1170.
    Any ideas / suggestions, or should SG just keep an eye on it?
    Thanks!

12. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

Motto of the Moment!

AC9B2FA0-6E81-4451-BAEE-F9D0C0CEEF68.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

Thanks @Layla . I know Jo is busy and my issue is minor compared to others she answers! Have a good weekend. Spring is here with a soundscape of blackbirds and lawnmowers - the latter making an appearance for the first time this season...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Hi, @SurreyGirl, glad to read you had a fun evening out with friends, always a mood booster, isn't it? And love the motto you posted, SO appropriate given the job stress you're experiencing. Have a great day!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

Thanks! Pushed a heavy shopping trolley around today and felt it a bit afterwards but not too bad. Fairly relaxed weekend and lovely weather.

Will find out later this week about work as will the other 300 people who also applied!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

@SurreyGirl
    Hoping you get the answer you want about work later this week

17. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Sorry, I did look in but the last tag I could see was two weeks ago. So what should I be looking for?

18. Layla

Certainly understandable, Jo.

Surrey Girl experiences an itching, burning and redness at the upper portion of her incision scar.
    It's not warm to the touch, but simply a burning sensation. It happens sporadically, without any provocation she's aware of, doesn't last for long and is relieved through icing.

She mentioned she massages it gently, twice daily, with E45 Cream. She also mentioned in Post # 1168 that she finds it worrying, therefore the tag. Should she be concerned? Could the body spit a stitch at 8 months post op?

Based on this info wondering what your thoughts are?
    @Josephine

19. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @SurreyGirl
    Did I miss something? Are you applying for another position?
    I thought you were considering retirement?
    I haven't kept up as much due to my father and stepmother taking turns with trips to the ER:oyvey:
    Hope all turns out the way you are hoping!
    Have a great day.:SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  20. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

Hi, just an update. The place I work for wants to make redundancies and applications for voluntary severance have been welcomed. We have only had a very short time to apply so there has been a lot of decision making to do.... there is no guarantee an applicant will get it. But compulsory redundancies are not ruled out. It is a very stressful environment to be working in right now. My job, however, is very busy still!
    But a lovely day as I look out of the window at lunchtime to a crow on the roof opposite and blue skies.

The zapps on the scar continue and I am narrowing it down to what is sparking it off. Certainly at its worst after driving for 45 mins- 1 hour to get to work... Any bending or stretching if I do too much sets it off.. Ice and paracetamol seems to stop it... nearly 8 months out so would have thought it stopped by now. The scar at the top is a bit redder than at the bottom.. I am keeping an eye on it..I still do glute clenches when sitting down and knee exercises and walking downstairs is coming - albeit slowly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1