THR Home with my new hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is great when one feels strong enough to transition from one walking aide to another... these are big milestones :)

I have written several times about the uses I know have for my walker.. it is just so handy, saves me carrying the washing basket, I can sit at the kitchen island and zoom along when preparing meals, I use it as an extra tray space alongside my chair.. but then it was attached to me for 18 months pre surgery... it was my constant friend, can't leave it feeling unloved.. I just tell it 'you have a new job now' lol
 
Congratulations Wildsong :yay:
I have been practicing in the house with a cane.
I hope I graduate soon. I come off of Coumadin Saturday. Yippee. I had a venous Doppler today and it was
Was clear. I hope to be cleared to drive next week. :egypdance:
 
Sounds like you are progressing very well Wildsong :)

Did I read that you are going back to work? That seems rather early at just four weeks.

What type of work do you do?

Be watchful of the energy drain and if you can take some ice packs with you, I found they were a great help during those first few weeks back.

Good work with your PT :)
Yes, Going back this Wed 2/27. (at 5 weeks) I work in an office so I should be able to sit, adjust my chair as needed and take breaks.
I just went to a retreat with my chorus this weekend (I sing with the Sweet Adelines) and it was a good trial run to see what I can tolerate. I did pretty good, stood for short stretches, had to take regular breaks, WAS pretty sore at the end of the day, but overall, I think it was a good thing. y arm & shoulders seem to be achy today though. I alternated between the walker and cane, but as the weekend went on, I got more & more comfortable with the cane. The walker does make a good luggage rack, just put a bag handle over each side of the walker and roll along, perfect way to carry my bags without help! LOL
 
Back to work, Day one was long and I was ready to go home about 6 hours in, but had no way to get home, can't drive yet, LOL! Day two, I really was fatigued and my thigh was just achy all morning, so I went home after a half day, got a ride this time!
 
Hi wildsong.. Going back to work is a major milestone and the 'energy drain' kicks in big time for a few weeks.

Any chance you can have ice packs on hand at work? Also a good idea to stay ahead with pain breakthrough before you get the sense of fatigue :)

Well done, rest now :)
 
Those of you that had a pronounced limp before surgery, Did your limp TOTALLY go away after THR ? If so, how long before you noticed that you were limp-free?
I'm six weeks out and still have the cane, but even with the cane, I still see that I have the same limp (definate hitch from the hip joint) as before. I know I have been unable to start working on the abductor muscles yet and can't for six more weeks and that should help. But I just want this limp to be GONE! At least it doesn't hurt
 
Hi wildsong

I have merged your recovery threads into this one, this is your primary thread.

We prefer to keep your recovery journey in the one thread for context.

[Bonesmart.org] Home with my new hip!
​


​
​
 
When do you see your OS next?
 
When I went to my OS Monday he said that at first most people have limp that they are a ware of. Then the limp will probably be something other people will be aware eventually it will calm down to something that he will only be able to notice until it's gone completely. So that being said, I think it could take a while before it's completely gone. You didn't say if you're doing and PT. If you are they should be able to help you with the proper exercises. This coming Tuesday will be 3 weeks from surgery for me, today I'm still on a cane but I'm practicing in the house as much as I can to walk without it. You are doing good by being able to go back to work at 4 weeks. When I start back I am going to do half days. I work in an office too so it should be a good plan for me.
 
Hi wildsong

I have merged your recovery threads into this one, this is your primary thread.

We prefer to keep your recovery journey in the one thread for context.

[Bonesmart.org] Home with my new hip!
​


​
​
I guess I saw this as more of a question rather than part of my recovery. I didn't think anyone would see it in the recovery thread. How or where am I supposed to ask a question?
 
The best way to attact attention for a specific question is to tag an admin (Josephine or Jamie) or a mod (Jaycey, Poppet or bottomshollow) or other members.

To tag a forum member, all you have to do is to type @ directly in front of their user name with no space between the @ and the user name. Be sure that you correctly type the user name or it will not work. To be sure that the member is tagged, look at your post after you have clicked "Post Reply"; if the tag worked, the user name will now be blue and underlined.

Do not follow the user name with a hyphen (-). The computer recognizes this as part of the user name, which it is not, and the tag fails. Also on occasion if the @ is the first thing on the line, it may be necessary to indent a couple of time to get it to work. This is why it is necessary to check your post after you have clicked "Post Rely" to be sure the tag has worked.

When the tag works, the member will get an alert at the top of his/her page, and by clicking the alert will be taken directly to your post.

Hope this helps.
 
wildsong, I have a limp if I don't concentrate, and I've been off the cane for about 4 weeks. I went back to work this week and asked everyone to let me know if I'm limping. When I walk on the treadmill at PT, she stands behind me and moves my hips so they move fluidly and I don't limp. (I think we start limping partly because the arthritis limits hip mobility so much.). When I'm walking I think, heel toe, swing your hips and I think that helps, too.
 
wildsong I had my surgery the day before you. I still have a limp. I had a limp before also. I walk (limping) around the house and short distances without a cane, but for longer walks, I use the cane. My OS said to not be afraid of using the cane, because it takes stress of of the hip and my (bone on bone) knees. I have a little problem with stairs, but I think it is mostly because of my knees. I try to analyze my walk to see what, exactly, bothers me when I walk. although my knees hurt, I do not think they are the total culprit. I think my hip is not strong enough yet to carry my weight. PT has me doing balancing exercises and one really kills me...brings me to tears. I have to stand on the operated leg, balancing near a bar, for 30 seconds. I can somewhat do it, grabbing the bar every few seconds....BUT when I put the non surgical leg down....OH BOY , the pain radiates on the surgical side! How are you doing this week?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom