Guest viewing is limited

THR Home and Feeling Great!

Hope all is well with you friend!
Keep the faith!:friends:
 
Almost an ODIC member at 9 weeks! I've done pretty well pacing myself and avoiding my tendency to go full force with activities. This past week, I got a bit cocky. I started thinking about all the things I'll do once restrictions are lifted and I'm done with rehab. I researched dance lessons with hubs, Silver Sneaker classes and gyms, new places to hike with Togo, etc. I stopped icing am and pm, reduced to just 1/2 tramadol at bedtime, did all my land exercises, walked 8-10,000 steps per day, and enjoyed my pool PT. I was out and about with family, dining and shopping. I put on my own socks and shoes and accomplished new mobility with the op leg! All went well....

Then, on Thursday eve, I began to feel stiff when getting off a chair, tired, scar tissue are swelling and sore, and some muscle strain (good muscle strain but a warning!). I went to PT pool Friday am and told my PT I really needed a gentle session (I was to start pool with weights etc. but knew to delay it). I got nice stretches and of course, the "pace yourself and ice and rest" lecture. So, yesterday, I laid low and back on the couch reading and watching movies and ICING am/pm. I did not go for a walk or do any exercises beyond my pool PT. I feel better today and will walk but limit myself and pace myself! I guess I'm not quite ready for prime time activity yet!

The body does let you know what it needs if we just listen and obey! I guess 9 weeks is still subject to ODIC when our minds are going faster than the body wants!
 
Oh no! I'm so sorry. It looks like you were feeling better already yesterday after some rest and icing.
I hope you're even better today. Those episodes can definitly show us our limitations. I trust you'll respect that because you've done recovery so well.
Wishing you a great day. Big hugs!
@luvsibes
 
The body does let you know what it needs if we just listen and obey! I guess 9 weeks is still subject to ODIC when our minds are going faster than the body wants!

Yes and as I posted on my thread... even after one year with new or overly rigorous activity.
That is the way I found my boundaries though - the hard way!:whistle:
You are getting it back together though by giving yourself some extra down time.
Frustrating I know!:sigh:
Just remember..
Just because you can
Doesn't mean you should.
I had to remind myself of that regularly!
Hope all eases soon @luvsibes !:friends:
 
Thanks all for the encouragement. I rested, iced, and limited myself and am back to feeling good and more awred of my limits! I'm enjoying the warm salt water PT. I've learned some new stretches in the pool with floaties on my ankles...just enough resistance to get an easy gentle stretch!

Sunday, we planned to go to a husky/malamute dog park mingle. I haven't ventured in to a dog park in months and was so excited. I woke up Sunday thinking "What am I thinking?" I hadn't even considered the impact of a couple of dozen crazed huskies running amok! I realized we needed to arrive early, I should take the cane, park my butt on a bench and not move! I told hubs that I'd be of no help monitoring and corralling Togo and he right away knew we'd forgot to think about those things! Once you start feeling good it's easy to just file away the "caution" messages! I did go and sit on the benches. When I left the park, I carefully negotiated my exit and all was well. We went to brunch and Togo had a great morning and we had a nice and safe time. Unfortunately, I didn't get to take photos or meet a lot of folks. Better safe than sorry!
 
Hi @luvsibes
Glad to hear you're feeling better. Happy you were cautious at the dog mingle.
As you mentioned, lots of tripping hazards or opportunity to get mowed down. I'm glad you made it through safely. Keep doing Recovery as you are, it's working well.
Hope you have a great week!
 
Yay for outside.
Glad all went well at the dog park.
Hope the rest of your week goes well!
 
:egypdance:Hope you are doing well and that your weekend is peaceful!:roseshwr:
 
I'll bet it's a great feeling to realize how far you've come since June 8th, as opposed to only being 2 days post op right now. Lucky you! And you've done so well. Keep it up.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
@luvsibes
 
Hello @Layla - and @Mojo333 - I think you are the only ones following me at this point and I thank you for the encouragement! I haven't been on Bsmart too much lately.

I'm doing well and still having to remind myself to pace myself. I finally got my PT to let me try to get on to the floor. She demonstrated, I did it with no level of grace, and got back up ok. My goal was to do this daily to pet Togo. Well, that session also had re-assessment testing (all exercises for balance, strength, and ROM have improved) and then I did my pool therapy. I went home and went for a 1 1/2 walk and iced. The next day I was sore behind the "good" knee that lowered me to the ground! I was able to ice it and it has worked it's way out of stiffness with my general walking which is up to about 9,000 steps/day. So, I haven't given this another try this week! Once on the floor, the op leg really didn't know where to go and just stuck up in the air. That's where it was a year ago when I left my yoga mat practice and went on to the chair for yoga. I guess I still have work to do (gently and slowly) to accomplish this goal!

I did decided to resume some volunteer work with AARP on health advocacy and am getting ready to teach my chair yoga students again in October. I'm feeling ready to go walking with my girlfriends at the beach again and think I can keep up (I used to be the fastest walker in the group until the hip issue started 4 yrs. ago!) I have to remind myself constantly to take it easy!

Post-op coming again 9/11 and hope all restrictions are lifted. I have lots of questions for Dr. Klapper and that visit such as airline security, getting on the floor, walking my husky again, the scar tenderness and a slight dent in my op hip. I'm puzzled by the 5 lb. weight gain that I can't shake although I'm walking more than pre-op. Perhaps, since I had no bone left and the titanium hip might weigh more and I'm rebuilding muscle, I will weigh more?

Thanks for the support and encouragement along the way!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Still really days @luvsibes .
I am once again the fastest walker around! My six ft three BIL tells me to slow down when we are watching as he can't keep up.
It will come!!!
Keep reminding yourself to slow down as you graciously remind others on the forum...slow and steady wins the race!
Your experience does help others and I'm hoping today will be a Good Day for you!
 
You'd be surprised at how many are reading your thread, any given thread, really.
Yours has been a great example of how to do recovery right in my opinion.
I've told you that before, so it's not news. You listen to your body which is so very important.
We're thankful you continue to share your progress. Often those doing well move on and the ones who remain are those who are dealing with issues to varying degrees. It's good for us all to balance the positive with the negative. Especially because the great majority of THR's are success stories.
Naturally our hearts go out to those who struggle.
Wishing you a great rest of the week!
@luvsibes
 
Layla - and Mojo333
I so appreciate your kudos and kind words. I am so pleased at my recovery and ability to walk without serious pain. I really waited about a year longer than I should have to get this done. I'm glad my experience and constant challenge to pace myself and do so does help others.
 
@luvsibes Great to read your posts and catch up. You are doing so well, and your measured approach is such a super guide for those of us about to have our surgeries! Thank you :) . Wishing you the very best as you continue on your healing journey and re-join your normal life, while constantly pacing yourself!! Do keep posting when you have time, as folks are still reading!! :SUNsmile:
Hope you are having a wonderful holiday weekend :flwrysmile:
 
Dear Alitm - Thank you for your kind words. I'm grateful that my experience can be helpful as you approach your upcoming THR. I see you are doing both hips! It took me 3 years to come to the point where I was ready to brave surgery! It was about a year too long. You are preparing well by seeing the experience of others. I believe my yoga practice which I adapted to on a chair, pool workouts, and energy medicine techniques prepared me for a good recovery. I have become an advocate for adaptive yoga and begin teaching chair based yoga in Oct. with a second class! I hope to get on the floor again but when I did it with PT it was not easy and the op leg just had no where to go. That's where I was pre-op, not going to mat classes and learning the chair yoga and getting certified was a gift! All asanas can go on the chair and of course pranayama goes everywhere! It sounds like you are preparing well for this journey!
 
Hi @luvsibes
Never really have any advice for you. You're doing recovery so well.
Just thought I'd say Hi :hi:
Hope you've had a nice holiday weekend so far.
A great week to you!
 
Layla - What a cute little avatar! Thanks. I hope your weekend is joyful!
 
Milestone - I woke up this morning with only minor aches and pains! The arm/shoulder and the low back and the new hip all felt good and not so stiff! I slept 6 hours straight! I removed the pillow bolster from under my knees (kept it handy for a roll to the non-op side if needed which I don't like and haven't rolled onto that side since permission to sleep again on the op side which has relieved the year of arm pain!). Yea!

I did my morning yoga and energy routine and feel better than I have in years! Wow!
 
Back
Top Bottom