Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

Mine is still numb in the same place. Yours might go away sooner than this. The spot should become less numb as time goes on. It is a common thing to have numb areas. During your tkr many nerves were cut. These are the numb areas. As these nerves try and reconnect, you'll get quick sharp pains in the areas, that we call zingers. That is normal also, so when you feel them, they are normal, too!
 
Specifically on the lateral side just below knee cap it feels numb. Its along the outside about 3 inches then goes to the middle of my shin. Its not tingly just doesn't feel like the rest of my leg. Numb is the only way I know to describe.

I am 11 months post revision and I have the exact same numb spot! And even today I had nerve zingers across the top of my knee. Just goes to show that healing still goes on for a long time.
 
I'm numb there too. No zingers just no feeling there but it's not a problem.
 
Specifically on the lateral side just below knee cap it feels numb. Its along the outside about 3 inches then goes to the middle of my shin. Its not tingly just doesn't feel like the rest of my leg. Numb is the only way I know to describe.

Numb is a good word. Almost every TKR ends up with a numb area on the leg in the area you describe. My OS told me ahead of time this would happen and even traced the spot with his finger to show me where it would be. It is caused by a surface nerve being cut to do the surgery. There is no way to not cut it and still do the incision that way.

Interestingly, my left leg has that exact numb area, about the size of my palm. I've learned to ignore it mostly, and am most aware of it when washing and shaving my leg, though of course I feel it when wearing long pants. My right leg, though, has no numb area. It had one for a while, but about three months ago the numbness went away and now it feels completely normal. I guess that nerve reconnected really fast.

Your numb area (and the one on my left leg) may someday go away too. The nerve may reconnect (they do try) and the sensation return. Many people will tell you how their numbness went away after many months or even years. So be patient and take comfort in knowing your numb area is just that, and not a sign of anything amiss.
 
I have had 4 surgeries on the old left knee, the last one about 10 years ago. I still have numb areas on it, but it doesn't bother me at all. I know why they are there.
 
Numb is a good word. Almost every TKR ends up with a numb area on the leg in the area you describe. My OS told me ahead of time this would happen and even traced the spot with his finger to show me where it would be. It is caused by a surface nerve being cut to do the surgery. There is no way to not cut it and still do the incision that way.
And here is an article about the numb area:
Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?
 
Thanks everyone for the good information. I enjoy knowing the "why" of things and you totally explained it where I get it.

I have been experimenting with stretching my hips out at least once if not twice a day. When I do that I notice I walk somewhat better and I have a little less knee soreness. Where I really noticed it was my walk to the end of the block & back, my back / leg weren't screaming at me. I'll take any forward progress I can get!!
 
If stretching your hip works, that’s great! See, you are making progress even if it took a long time. A lot of trial and error to figure out what works and what doesn’t. My back bothers me too, if I’m doing too much. I then sit and rest with my leg elevated.
 
Can I ask what exercises you use to stretch your hips out? I find I seem to have much more hip pain these days and that worries me.
 
I'd be glad to share what I've been doing. Of course this is just what I've made up to do from various sources.

Standing with a counter near me 20 tippy toes. Just standing straight and go up on my tippy toes.

While at the counter standing sidekicks. Just out ever gently and back - not a huge motion. I try to hold for a few seconds and control back to the ground.

When seated in the evenings I do leg raises. Maybe 15 on each side and repeat.

This one is a yoga stretch - I don't know the proper name. Laying on the bed on your back, bring your bent leg over your other leg as far as possible. You'll feel the stretch in your back side. I've even had my back pop in several places making it feel better. Keep the stretch 30-40 seconds then do on the other side. I usually do 2 or 3 sets. I will say this is the one that I believe has helped the most because with each stretch I feel my leg going further.

Hope some or all of these will work for you.
 
Thanks. I'll try those. I'm a bit wary of the last one as I don't want to upset my knee by twisting but I'll have a (cautious) go!
 
I didn't quite explain the last exercise / stretch too well. Your knee is bent, but not too much. You get the rotation from your hip.

Hope that they help you.
 
Time to touch base and looking for guidance. I'm at the 10 month mark for my revision. I think I'm going along fine - then I realize I'm uncomfortable and have done too much. I'm guessing at this point that is normal?

What I'm concerned with is still being so darned tired. My tired seems to be tired!! When I'm tired then I don't walk properly and my lower back hurts. My IT band screams a lot of the time - I don't think it will ever be happy and calm down. I'm still swollen but if I ice then I'm more stiff. So should I be icing anyway?

What the surgeon has suggested is: #1 a 20 minute walk (no more or no less), #2 tippy toes 20x's once daily, #3 sit with leg extended to help extension, and #4 walking backwards with cane for balance. I've been pretty good with all of them except walking backwards. That just feels so unnatural - but I'm doing it some. Surgeon says where I'm at is good, and to baby the knee. In my head I should be healed and ready to tackle the world, in reality that just isn't happening.

Our weather has been so ugly my outdoor walks haven't been happening. Instead I've been riding the recumbent bike for 20 minutes. Should I have any resistance on the bike?

There it is guys. Thoughts?

Right MUA July 28, 2017
Right Revision TKR May 23, 2017
Right March 30,2016 Synovectomy
Right TKR Oct 13, 2013
Left TKR April 28, 2013
Medial & Lateral meniscus (Left) scope July 9, 2010
Ganglionectomy, Medial & Lateral meniscus (Left) Oct. 24, 2007
Chondromalicia, medial meniscus (Right) April 8, 2004
 
@eaglemom you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.
 
Have you tried increasing (a little only, at first) the tension on your bike? A little more work might be good for your knee at this point. It's worth trying.

I'd say continue icing if you get benefit from it. You say you get stiffer, but does the swelling go down? Do you elevate? I'm eleven months out and still elevate and ice after long walks or a day spent largely on my feet. Massage is another nice way to address tight muscles or minor swelling.

My lower back also acted up at first when I started walking for longer distances (more than a half mile). I had to start paying attention to better walking posture --do you have a tendency to look at the ground and shuffle? I did-- and gait, making sure I walked with proper hip motion, for a few weeks before my back and hips got used to actually walking normally again. It's made a big difference. As the muscles involved got stronger and started doing their jobs again, my back pain on walking went away.

Have you looked into reasons for being so tired? Maybe a trip to your GP is in order. Not everything is to do with our knees.
 
Eaglemom,
I'm guessing at this point that is normal?
Yes, it is normal for your knee to let you know you have done too much.
Try walking at the grocery store/warehouse stores until the weather is better.
Instead of using a cane to walk backwards, try it along your kitchen counter, you may feel more secure. If you think about it, when you are in the kitchen, you step backwards all the time to reach for this and that. It should feel more normal.
Our bodies always let us know when we do too much, I played catch (football) with a kid yesterday, my arm is a little sore, and my legs are a little sore. I was happy I could still throw and catch the football.
 
Yes, I've tried a little tension increase on the recumbent bike. I warm up a few minutes then increase the tension for a few minutes. I do that several x's in a 20 minute session.

As for being tired I have seen my PCP. Lots of blood work, etc and everything is fine. Without coming right out and saying it she implied how out of shape I was. (Like I didn't know that!) And that slowly when I walk more that should help my endurance then I'd feel better. The old saying if I exercise my knee hurts and if I don't exercise my body hurts.
 
Sadly, being out of shape can take some time to correct... more so when we aren't yet fully recovered and have to curtail our activities somewhat. :bored: If your knees prevented you from being active for a long time before surgery, your muscles could be quite weak and need a longer time to get back up to speed. Hang in there! As long as you know you are not having other problems, you can be patient about building stamina. :console2:
 
For the last 3 days I've gotten out the post surgery ice machine and had it on my leg 2 x's daily. I've also tried a small amount of tension on the recumbent bike, but have ridden for only 12 - 15 minutes. Prior to doing these things my calf muscle has decided its time to really start hurting and cramping. I have no idea why - its muscular pain. Whenever I get the ice on the knee I certainly relax. So I'm putting it on at bedtime. I read a bit and drop off immediately. I take it off when I move in the bed or am heading to the restroom. The thing is when its on the knee and me are relaxed. With it off I literally feel the swelling coming back.

I'm trying to listen to my body more and ice more. I will say we've had a strong weather front come through tonight and that always increases the pain.
 
I’m finding it is taking a very long time to build my stamina back up. I’m at 11 months. I also do the retro, or backward walking - it is good for balance and I think extension. Sounds like you are doing well - more patience needed as always.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom