Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

So sorry you didn't get some comments earlier! But it sounds like you've made it through the MUA just fine.

It is very normal for swelling and pain to occur several days after the procedure. And, as sistersinhim said, your approach to anything like this should be rest, ice, elevation and pain medication. I know your surgeon told you to ice only 3 times a day, but actually you can do this as much as is comfortable for you as long as you keep a towel between you and the ice source so as not to damage your skin. As long as you have pain and swelling, I wouldn't suggest walking for 20 minutes at a time. That could further aggravate your angry knee. Just gentle bends and stretches and some walking about the house is fine until this is under control.
 
@eaglemom ... I've written you a personal message here on the forum and also an email. I would appreciate a response, please.
 
I thought I'd drop in and fill everyone in, and of course ask for some advice. My MUA was nothing like I'd feared it would be, phew. Having said that, the knee, now 12 weeks from revision, is still pretty swollen. Not huge, not like it was, but swollen none the less.

I'm not 'taking walks but rather living life, where I walk!! My exercise routine, if you want to call it that, is the recumbent bike 12-15 minutes. Any longer and I start swelling immediately. I do some gentle stretches, seated bends, very small leg lifts. I do a couple more but nothing rigorous. I try to ice afterwards, but will admit I don't do it 100% of the time.

Pain level isn't too bad, but certainly there. Rarely do I need a prescription pain pill during the day. At night, I do. If I don't take one I'm miserable trying to get the leg relaxed and comfortable. I have noticed with a baramatric pressure change my knee really starts to scream. Will that get better? Gad, I hope so, because I'm pretty miserable when that happens.

I notice that just standing isn't comfortable at all, I just can't do it for long. If I'm moving around its better, but to simply stand in one spot, really can't do that for long. Will that get better? The awful habit I've noticed me doing is when I'm on uneven ground I start to peg leg walk - I hate that I do that. I just happens.

One of the main things is that I've noticed the last week and a half I'm up & about more, doing more, etc. And guess what, I'm sore & swollen. It's hard to sit but I think I'm probably doing too much. I'm my own worst enemy, that I know. Hubby's been great, but I've equally noticed he's not helping out as much because he sees me up and doing things. Recovery is such a balancing act..........

Off to elevate and ice & possibly take a pain pill, knee just isn't happy today.
 
Time to update and look for answers from everyone.

I am now 17 weeks post revision and 7 weeks post MUA. I believe I must have the most difficult hamstrings/IT band ever known. No matter what I do or don't do my leg isn't happy. Meaning getting out of a chair etc I find if I've sat (or been in bed) for more than 30 minutes its like my hammys have withered, or shriveled up. There is a tightness on the outside right at the knee joint - and upon standing I have to stand for a bit for the entire leg to relax so I can walk. When I do walk, initially I kind of waddle side to side for several steps then walk properly.

This had gotten better before the MUA, but I feel as though I'm where I was before the MUA again. I will say my entire quad is tight now though and that wasn't the case before.

Every stretch / exercise to help this simply doesn't have long lasting results. Can you tell that I'm frustrated by this situation? Now since I'm not walking properly my lower back has been sore. Surely I can't be the only one whom has hamstrings that are refusing to cooperate.

Before anyone asks, yes its still swollen, I do ice some, my level of activity certainly is being impacted by this. I realize at 17 weeks my revision is a baby knee still - but this limited abilities of the knee concern me greatly. Any idea's?
 
Hi Eaglemom: good to hear from you and sorry to hear you are having hamstring troubles. Hopefully one of the advisors will be able to assist. I'm a couple of weeks ahead of your surgery and I'm still having lots of swelling and while the hamstrings seem to be cooperating my quads are a bit lazy still. My walking is ok if I am really intentional but I do not have good extension yet. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm less than halfway through this year-long recovery.
 
@eaglemom I just had my own MUA just about a week and half ago, and it's going very slow trying to get that quad muscle to settle down. I think I get what you're saying. After the sleepy juice wore off I realized my quad must've gotten the heck stretched out of it in ways that it hadn't moved in months. Every PT session, which now thankfully incorporates massage, the assistants keep remarking how "tight" everything is. Quad, hamstring, IT band, calf, you name it. But I'm not overly worried about it. I am moving and bending so much better than before that I figure, just like after a really tough workout, that the muscles will eventually adjust and become more supple. I just, for my part, keep moving. Not necessarily in the PT sense, but the everyday activities, walking, playing with the dog, etc. I'm no expert, not even for my own situation, but I'd say keep moving, stretching and walking. Good luck, I'll follow here to see how you do.
 
But yet another update. Color me frustrated for sure. I contacted the surgeons office per PT's request. They were talking with the doctor about an "extendator" and call me back. I've not heard from them - which to me isn't acceptable. I've contacted them again, still waiting.

I'm not one to complain & a very easy patient - but I'd certainly appreciate the office calling me back. I'm about ready to make an appointment to discuss this. That's not a big deal, but a half of a day of my time. The knee is still swollen - on the pictures where you see normal knee, moderate knee and huge knee in regards to the knee, my knee more swollen than moderate, slightly less than huge. I've not been icing, should I?

How I"m walking has my lower back hurting and my left knee!! I just don't know what to do. Idea's or suggestions? I realize my healing is ongoing, but goodness me, this isn't how my other knee surgeries have gone.

Thanks guys, I look forward to some suggestions.
 
Just to refresh I had a revision the end of May 2017. So I'm 6 months out. I had the revision because the 3 yr old knee was loose. The pain I was having from that is gone, I'm happy about that. However, my hamstring / tendon are so tight I could scream. I'm walking with a never noticeable giddie-up type of limp!! (Not attractive at all.)

I did PT for awhile, until I realized it was causing more issues that it was helping. I ride the recumbent bike - not daily because of swelling. I do some little stretches - because that seems to help slightly. I try to have my knee straight and let it hang several times a day, and during the evening. Just trying to stretch it out.

The surgeon keeps calling it a baby knee and its not happy, to give it time and stretch stretch stretch. I'm doing that to no avail. I know I'm not walking - as in walking for exercise - as much as I should. Part of that is mental - I'm scared it will hurt / swell more than it already is. If I'm out & about I've gone back to the cane - I walk so much better with it. I never thought I'd be back to using a cane - too young for this nonsense!!

Any words of encouragement? Idea's? Yes it is swollen, its never goes down. Yes I still use pain meds occasionally.

Thanks guys.
 
However, my hamstring / tendon are so tight I could scream.
That will be due to swelling. I suggest you be more intensive with the icing and elevating and also don't forget to ice behind your knee!
 
@eaglemom
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original revision recovery thread.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Part of that is mental - I'm scared it will hurt / swell more than it already is. If I'm out & about I've gone back to the cane - I walk so much better with it.
I'm sorry you're still having problems.

Do try to walk a bit more, because that will help, especially if you try to lengthen your stride a bit.

Don't worry about using a cane again. It's just a tool and using it will be a temporary measure. If it helps you to walk better, keep on using it.

This article may help with stretching the back of your leg - but don't forget to keep up the icing, especially at the back of your knees, as Josephine said.
Hamstring stretches
 
I used a cane for quite a while because I limped after a while, so don’t worry about using it. The cane will help with your gait and take some pressure off the new knee. The dr is right, it’s a baby knee and it calls the shots.
 
I thought I'd touch base and get encouragement or a sympathetic ear on which to complain!! I've tried very hard to have a positive attitude throughout this journey, but I feel as though I'm stuck. And not stuck in a good place.

Revision was the end of May 2017, MUA end of July 2017. I do know the MUA helped to some extend, not as much as I would have liked it to though. I know numbers help you - my extension is above 50 but not too much. No where near where it needs to be IMO. I have swelling and discoloration around the knee. Its swollen less than 'huge' but a lot more than 'moderate.' No I've not been icing.

I still have pain and an ever so tight knee. On the lateral side right at the knee bend there is a very sore spot. I'm not sure what that is about. I've been hanging my knee multiple times a day trying to stretch it out. That works well until I stand to walk and I'm immediately tight again. I've been trying the recumbent bike but I'm not sure that is doing a thing, except point out how awfully out of shape I've gotten. (Just being honest here.) Standing still is uncomfortable and my hip then isn't happy! I can walk but not distances. Occasionally I've used my cane - its more to force me to stand upright and extend my gait. I look at it as my security blanket, I don't always need it, but when I do I need it immediately.

You all have been so supportive. I see the surgeon in a couple of weeks - I know he won't be happy - guess what, neither am I!!!!
 
I was so excited to post I forgot how terrible tight / sore my calf muscles are. Its all muscular soreness.
 
Of course you're not happy. I wouldn't be happy, either, with what you describe. I hope your OS wastes no time attempting to find out why you are having this pain and swelling. May I ask why you don't ice? Ice is a good pain reliever and can also help with swelling.

It could be your knee simply needs more time. You've had a few surgeries and that could have something to do with it. See what your OS thinks. I just wish you could be feeling better at this point. Also, though it may not seem like the recumbent bike is doing any good, at least it is a way of working on your cardio and stamina.
 
@eaglemom I had read your thread and it is similar to my journey. I’m just curious that you have a lot of swelling and pain but rarely take pain relief and don’t ice. Wouldn’t it be much more comfortable and way less painful if you just sat around icing while you’re sitting? Do you think it would be better to take regular pain relief on a schedule so you can get the pain under control and regular icing to get the swelling down heaps? I have found that because my knee has had multiple ‘invasions’ that I have needed ice and regular pain relief for much longer each time. I just go with it as I know that I won’t become dependent on the pain relief as I use it because I’m in pain. The icing is my saviour. Without that I would have checked myself in to the mental health ward because the pain was that bad after the most recent arthroscopy.

I know if that pain returned I definitely wouldn’t be able to cope. My knee has been battered with many ops so it isn’t going to recover as easily as it did the first time. I accept that and use ice and pain relief to control the pain and swelling. Once I had a handle on these (pain hasn’t gone but is bearable with meds and swelling still sits on the low side of moderate) then I found my flexion improved (I think flexion would be 90-100 and extension is good). If I don’t take the meds I can’t move and I get very depressed. And I’m about to do it all again lol oh dear!! Mind you I’m not doing anything exercise wise. No bike, no PT no nothing. The most exercise I have done is walk the dogs around the block. I was advised by my surgeon to do nothing, don’t weigh bear, no PT, no gym and don’t even walk unless you have to.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Another update. I saw the surgeon for my 9 month revision check up. I'm certain I still have questions. (Why do I always think of 50 questions when I'm in the car heading home?)

He didn't officially measure me - he was impressed with my bend and kept saying my extension will come. That leg just feels odd - he thinks its from cut nerves that may or may not heal. He didn't seem overly concerned about the bruising or swelling. He suggested 3 things: #1 walk 20 minutes outdoors. No more or less, do that for a month then increase to 30 minutes for a month, etc. #2 walk backwards several times a day #3 do tippytoes 20x's a day. And to sit where my heal is supported but the leg isn't to allow gravity to help.

I said I'd been walking more than that, and he said to cut back. At 9 months the knee is a baby and its not healed & the more I aggravate it trying to rehab it the longer the leg will be aggravated. The thing is my hip on that side is really bothering / hurting me. I couldn't walk more than the 20 minutes because of it. Its hurt more since my appointment so I didn't ask about it. Use my cane - or at least carry the cane - to use because it forces me to walk better. I totally get that - I don't like it - but I get it!!

The surgeons overall assessment was I'm doing exactly what he wants, except for the extension. Naturally I'm frustrated with the entire process!! I think that's just par for the course. Since I've cut my walking back I've really noticed how horrid-ably I am out of shape. The vicious circle - walking hurts my knee but sitting more does zip for my cardiovascular system - so I walk, then the hip hurts, blah blah blah.

Thoughts? I've noticed hubby starts clearing his throat when I'm walking and limping - his way to reminding me to walk correctly. I will say big weather changes are not my friend at all. So stiff.
 
He didn't officially measure me - he was impressed with my bend and kept saying my extension will come.
Good surgeons don't have to! They can eyeball an angle and see what it is. I can too, mostly!
walking hurts my knee but sitting more does zip for my cardiovascular system
A few weeks ignoring your cardiovascular system isn't going to be the end of the world!
That leg just feels odd
In what way? Tell me more


At 9 months the knee is a baby and its not healed & the more I aggravate it trying to rehab it the longer the leg will be aggravated.
Oh he's a closet BoneSmartie!!
 
My saying the leg feels odd doesn't describe anything, sorry. Specifically on the lateral side just below knee cap it feels numb. Its along the outside about 3 inches then goes to the middle of my shin. Its not tingly just doesn't feel like the rest of my leg. Numb is the only way I know to describe.

There is one spot directly on the knee bend that is downright a sort spot. There is bruising there also, has been since the surgery. Even putting lotion on my legs I have to be careful there because it hurts.

Today I needed a big grocery trip - I used my cane and using it I just "walk" better. My hip don't hurt immediately either. I just thought I'd be past the cane - guess not.

Thanks for all the good support.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom