Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

Yes, I was exceptionally emotional and cried if someone just asked what was happening with my knee in the hospital or rehab. My mother would call me house, I'd end up crying, she'd say I needed to stop. However, may dad who had 2 TKRs said, "let her cry". Guess who I listened to...
 
Daddy had it right! I couldn't count the number of times I cried.
 
Well, I've cried several times. I have an appointment to remove the staples today - I am so ready to be done with the staples, the packing, the cotton wrapping and the ACE wrap. Its so hot and burdensome. I know that will help my situation.

I've tried to count the staples - hubby and I have a wager who is closest to the correct number. I see 39 staples, his count is higher. I'll report what the correct number is when we get back.

happy healing everyone
 
I was so happy for Silverlon dressing that never came off until the staples came out. I didn't want to see it. It is a relief to have the pulling of the staples over once they're out.
 
It will feel so much better when those staples are out!
 
The difference in having 39 staples removed has been good!! That constant tug is gone. Today was very odd - but this evening I feel like a fog has lifted. Make sense? I was up today just before 7:00, had some tea, walked around the house & went back to bed, woke up at 11:00, did the same thing, had some tea, walked around the house and was back in bed by 1:00. Just before 5:00 I woke up. I felt better!!! Hubby & I co-cooked dinner, he picked up the dishes and we watched a movie. I've never slept like that before. I am tired now, just not that overwhelming exhaustion that I'd had before.

Tomorrow is our anniversary - 40 yrs. Not how I'd planned on spending it, that's for sure. Hubs doesn't know it, but I've contacted a very upscale restaurant and ordered it to be delivered, champagne and flowers also. If we can't go out, I decided this would be fun. I'm certain he'll be surprised. Now, let's hope I don't sleep the entire day away like I did today!!

Happy healing everyone.
 
Sleeping to me is healing.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
What a lovely idea you have to spend this special day of yours.:loveshwr::wink:

Can't wait to read how surprised he was.
 
Great news@eaglemom! Like you, we celebrated our wedding anniversary shortly after my surgery. Unlike you, I didn't think to have dinner catered, but hubby is a great cook and he didn't mind making a special meal.:SUNsmile: To say this was the most unusual anniversary we've had is a classic understatement, but what matters is the love is still evident, even more evident than when young 43 years ago, lol! Best wishes for a special day and continued relief now that those blasted staples are gone!:yay:
 
When you're asleep, you're actually healing more. So, sleep all you can!
 
Catching up and questions. I would say over all things have been going well. Home PT 3x's a week. She is very laid back and easy going. She just wants the muscles to 'wake up' but not start strength training. I think next week will be my last week with her, then I have to go to PT somewhere. Which of course concerns me - no scares me. I don't want anything aggressive.

My deal is still some odd pain. My shin is oh so very sore - not really bruised but some. Then IT/hamstring - on the outer part of the knee are so tight. I just can't get it to relax. My leg feels like it wants to have a shin splint & charlie horse all at the same time. I end up just wiggling my leg constantly.

My hubby laughed at me when I told him "my exhaustion is exhausted." That is so out of character for me. I realize I'm 3 1/2 weeks post surgery but I need a morning and afternoon nap. And I'll admit to snoozing before going to bed!! I feel like at night I am sleeping ok though. I guess one can't 'rest' too much, but phew, I'm tired. Before anyone asks, I'm taking it very easy around the house - lots of sitting & doing nothing.

Am I where I should be? PT gal says this is all normal - sit or lie down whenever possible. I'll admit to not icing as much as I should - my reasoning is because it makes me so stiff. I'm going to try to ice more today and see. Any idea's?
 
Yes, it is totally normal to need naps well into 3 months or longer post op. I went back to teaching part time at 3 months and still needed a nap most afternoons.

Keep the knee elevated as much as possible, especially this early in recovery. Elevate, ice, rest is about all I did the first 4 weeks.

I'm glad your home PT hasn't begun strength training, but an FYI, don't let anyone do that until 3-4 months post op. No weights, resistance bands, squats, lunges until then.
 
I am also finding the more I ice the stiffer my leg gets. I believe Celle suggested moving the leg while icing. I've started moving it more...still stiff but I don't think as much.
 
Icing helps a lot and it's a good way of relieving pain, but elevating is more important for helping to reduce swelling.

It's normal to have pain in your shin, but sometimes the surgeons use a longer stem in the tibial component of your hardware when they do a revision. That may be why you're feeling more pain there.
 
I have a question. The exhaustion is wearing me out!!! LOL, that sounds funny but its the truth. Is the exhaustion because my body is trying to heal? Or is it because for 4 weeks I've done very little and I simply have no energy? Not that it matters - just curious. I'm leaning towards its my bodies way of healing itself.

I'm taking it easy and certainly having a nap or two daily. Its difficult to get comfortable at night, so I guess maybe I'm not resting then as well as I thought I was.

Extension - let's have a discussion. I'm not there, it feels like I'll never get there. I just can't get my leg straight, for long. Of course its still swollen, and I take that into consideration, but I'm a little concerned about it. Once I do get my leg relaxed enough for good extension, it doesn't last long at all. Its like my hamstring & IT bands are making fun of me!! Any tips to help me out?
 
Is that like being 'so tired or being so tired'? You aren't even a month out yet? Most of your body's energy is going into healing that knee of yours. And yes, it is your body's way of healing. When you sleep your body heals better.

Extension is slow to come in for many of us. It was for me. Swelling has a whole let to do with it. The best way I achieved better extension was to grab my walker and then lengthen my stride as much as I good. Try this:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/extension-how-to-estimate-it-and-ways-to-improve-it.9529/
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom