Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

That’s great that all is as well as can be expected and you got a refill. Hugs and prayers that your leg will settle down soon. :console2:
 
@eaglemom My heart breaks for you. At least it gives you some comfort that your surgeon's office is responsive. Sometimes that is the worst. You are in pain, scared and miserable and no one calls you back.

I will keep you in my prayers.
 
I'm sorry that I'm just now seeing your response. It does help if you tag me so that I get an alert that you have information for me.

But I'm glad you contacted your surgeon's office and that they were so good at immediately looking into what was going on. I hope they have reassured you that you most likely are going to have pain and swelling that needs medication, ice and elevation as much as possible for longer than you might have expected.

Please continue to take things easy for a while and let us know how you're progressing.
 
You can't make this stuff up. I am 4 weeks post surgery and have had home health PT. She really has been very accepting that I'm just doing walking and heal slides. And some gentle stretches. When I started I was -10 and 78. Today is my last day of home health PT and I'm -5 and 100. (She'd prefer 110, but was happy with 100.) Frankly I'm thrilled with those numbers at this point of healing.

So along with home health PT I have home health nurse. The nurse doesn't want to 'release' me. She feels my knee needs much more healing and that since I'm taking pain meds I'm not a good candidate to be released. I have no desire to drive the car and no desire to start an outpatient PT program.

The two of them can work it out as far as I'm concerned. This poor knee is still swollen huge and it's not ready to do anymore than I already am doing. That is the nurses concern. I just smiled and told both of them I'm not changing anything for now, period. I see the surgeon next week, only then will I begin to think about changing anything. A very swollen knee isn't going to get better by rehabing it more. As far as outpatient PT I am not in favor of it. Of course I'll discuss this all with the surgeon, then make up my mind to not do outpatient PT!!

Goodness, such drama for a very sore swollen knee that just wants medication, elevation and ice!
 
I agree with you 100%. Maybe if their knee has been through what yours has, they’d be more understanding.

It’s your knee, you make the final decision.
 
Phew - rough night last night and day today. No cold fronts coming in and I've done nothing unusual. Its all part of it, but goodness its wearing me down.

I will say I'm having a lot of trouble icing right now. Getting the knee elevated to where it should be and comfortable is challenging. Then when we put the ice on the knee I just can't stand the feeling / weight of the ice cuff. Maybe tomorrow will be better - no, tomorrow will be better.

It's telling when you look in the mirror and think "you look awful" only to hear your loving husband say "you ok, you don't look so good!" He means well. Again, tomorrow will be a better day - for each one of us.
 
The rollercoaster recovery is such a pain. Waking up feeling worse probably means you did some kind of movement in your sleep that your knee didn't like. Tomorrow WILL be a better day!
 
Today has been a better day. I've found going to bed earlier, 8:30ish and reading to be a huge benefit to me & my recovery. The knee always wakes me around 3:00 and I've started taking a pain pill instead of a Tylenol. I think that just gets me through the night so much better.

Its just the little things to figure out and usually they are very helpful. I know sitting with both feet on the ground 'feels' okay. Until I try to stand, so I always try to lift my right leg on a chair,etc. That helps some. Its all trial and error for what works. Nothing better than elevation and ice - which is how I spent my afternoon. All in all a good day, and it feels good to have a good day.
 
I've had more 'odd' zips, zaps, bolts, zingers and the like with this knee than ever before. No two knees are the same - of that I can vouch. It is VERY temperamental with a mind of its own!!!

Today is my 5 week post surgery mark. I have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow for a check-up. I've got several things I need to discuss with him. From below my knee to just above my ankle it flat out hurts. (New long stem? Probably.) Its difficult to describe other than it feels like my skin is stretching. A burning, ripping, tearing and stinging feeling. My entire leg feels heavy also. Yes the knee is still very swollen - I'm guessing this all goes along with the swelling?

Anyway I'm curious what he says about my ROM. Somehow I just know he's going to "recommend" outpatient PT. I'm not planning on doing that. These first 5 weeks have been difficult enough, I can't imagine what adding out patient PT would do to the knee & me.

That's the 5 week report. I've pleased with the knee over all. I'm not pleased I'm still in so much pain. I have a very high threshold for pain & this sometimes is kicking my butt! My friends think somethings wrong with me because I'm not wanting out of the house. I'm very content being here - no desire to be out and about at this point of time.

Anything I need to specifically ask the surgeon?

You guys are great - seriously. Its nice to know your 'talking' with someone whom totally understands what your going through.
 
That's the 5 week report. I've pleased with the knee over all.
I think this is the most important part of all. While it’s extra nice when our surgeon is happy with our situation, I think it’s how we feel that matters most. I’ve read of other members who have gone to their check ups in good spirits only to have them dashed due to their surgeon’s opinion and impatience for their recovery to be faster.

Hold fast to what you know your body is doing. You know it’s been through a lot.

I agree with you about the formal out patient PT. You know you have the final say, so do what is best for you.
 
Home from my 5 week post op appointment. The surgeon was very pleased with my ROM - called me "a freakin rock star" at 100. He said - does this sound familiar? - that will continue to improve over the next year. Its fantastic now so it will only get better.

He used the word contracture several times when looking at my extension. It needs improvement - but is okay for a 4 week recovery.

He said I "could probably benefit from some out patient PT." He wrote out the prescription and didn't say how many times a week or for what length of time. All he wrote was "work on extension and gait." I said I wasn't in favor of PT and he said ok - but still handed me the paperwork. I'm not doing anything for the next week - see how I'm doing on my own. I told the surgeon I was walking 3 houses away each day - he said "great, but don't over do. This knee is still very swollen and angry. Walking is the best thing-but in this case carefully."

As far as pain meds he said take them - that's what they are for, pain. He didn't 'release' me - which is fine. I'm not doing much of anything for several more weeks while this knee heals. I'm to see him in a month. When I walk I'm to concentrate on heal first - so that's what I'll do. I'm good with this report. Now, off to elevate and ice, knee's tender.
 
What a great report from your doctor! That extension will come. Walking heel to toe will help it. Mine was slower coming in, but all I did was lengthen my stride and walk heel to toe.
 
I said I wasn't in favor of PT and he said ok - but still handed me the paperwork.
He probably followed his protocol of “recommending” PT by handing you that paper, but it sounds to me like he’s ok with it if you don’t go. He left the decision to you.

I’d say it was an excellent appointment!
 
My OS handed me the prescription, but I never used it. I did my own PT. I was alone, so I always had things to do that included using my knee to do them!
 
Checking it and on everyone. These knees -they are certainly temperamental so we've all got to be careful. That's the voice of experience speaking!!! And needing to read that myself.

Today's question for the group might seem odd, but I am totally struggling with it. When I go to bed I don't know what to do with my leg. (Now doesn't that sound funny?:rotfl::rotfl: If I straighten it out its not comfortable and frankly I can't keep it in that position. So I roll my hip and let my leg flop to the side - not totally comfortable but I can do it for awhile. Then I find I'm wiggling my entire leg trying to ind any position its comfortable in. Eventually I go to my side and sort of bend my knee, but I know that's not a good position to have the knee/leg in. It also feels like I'm getting a cramp in my calf, but I never do - so I wiggle my leg more!!! Surely I'm not the only one with this as a problem, or am I? None of the other surgeries have I had this be an issue.

Yesterday my outside walk (with the walker, but just for security, I'm not relying on it) I wasn't paying attention and went 5 houses down! When I realized how far I'd gone I was immediately proud then scared!!! It was fine and when I came home I did ice and all was fine. Several friends think I need to be getting out of the house or at least wanting to get out. I have NO desire, none, zip, zilch, nada. Yes I know I'll be getting out, but frankly I don't have the energy or desire. I'm happy doing around the house and that is that. (Right knee and taking pain medication - so I'm not driving either)

We're to have an artic blast come through tomorrow so I plan on my walk this afternoon & sitting in the yard at least for a bit. Once the front comes through I'll not be walking outside. Happy Sunday everyone.
 
I don’t know what to tell you about your leg and sleeping. Once I was past 2 weeks I was able to sleep with my leg on my elevating wedge comfortably. My wedge has a trough cut into it for my leg, so that kept me still and prevented all the tossing and turning. I hope you find something that works for you.

People who like to go, go, go, don’t understand us homebodies! I’m with you on this one.
 
Until six weeks I slept in my recliner, on my back. At six weeks I went back to sleeping in my bed.

In bed, I sleep on my side, usually the non-surgical side. I keep the leg on the bottom fairly straight, and bend the surgical leg (the one on top) at the knee. At first, I laid my surgical leg, bent, on a pillow, but found it more comfortable without the pillow for some reason.

Sometimes, probably 1/4 of the time, I sleep on the other side, my surgical side with my surgical leg fairly straight and my non-surgical leg bent.

That gets me to sleep, and then after I fall asleep I flop around into different positions anyway so all in all, it doesn't matter what position I start out in.

I did not have leg cramps but everything else in the world kept me from sleeping after I quit taking opiates, until I finally started taking acetaminophen an hour before bedtime.

Congratulations on walking so far!! That's huge!!! :yay: Don't worry about what your friends say about getting out of the house. They probably just want the best for you but it is hard for someone else to understand what you are going through.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom