Bilateral TKR Hitched A Ride to The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Margaret: I know the high impact aerobics didn't help (neither did the skydiving!!!). But I'm glad it's done and over with.

Leisa: Rats! Sort of blows my theory out the window.
 
Today is my one year BoneSmartieversary! Wow! What a difference a year makes.

I've had lots of numb areas on my legs, from hips to ankle. Inside, top, outside. Last night (no, this is not going to turn into an "in the mood" post!!! :snork: :snork: ), I felt "electricity" on the inside of both legs around the knees, then the "ants crawling" feeling one gets when a limb wakes up from being "asleep". Wow! I'm getting back feeling in parts of my legs in my 47th week post op. I am putting demands on my legs, though, teaching 4 Jazzercise classes a week now and doing a lot of movements that require balance ... which I still haven't mastered. Maybe the nerves are getting the message. Shape up or ship out!

Once again, thanks BoneSmart and Josephine for pointing me in the right direction!
 
PooShay, i've heard that it can take up to two years for nerves to come back as far as they are going to come. You must be proof that at a year there is still time for improvement! The fact that you are teaching all those classes speaks to the success of your recovery. Congratulations!
 
Happy Knee-versary, PooShay!
 
Hey Poo! You're giving them a workout. Congratulations on your recovery survival!!! The surgery is the easy part and here we are a year later! My anniversary is fast approaching. I don't have any numbness. I do find the when it's very cold that they tend to stiffen up. I've babied my knees and I have to tell you for me, it's worked out pretty well.I do think that I'm relearning to walk normally, I feel like my feet aren't planting themselves correctly. I'm hoping now that I'm more active I'll see improvement. I'm still buying and returning shoes, trying to find a good fit. I can't kneel, but was told by my surgeon to never kneel. He made that statement multiple times. It doesn't feel good so I don't need to be reminded! I go into NYC frequently with my daughter and about a month ago did 60 blocks. No pain. Of course we were both wore out after a day of hiking around the city. Now to lose the excess weight I gained over the past 3 years, down 5 lbs, 25 more to go. I'm looking forward to this summer and I hope you are too. It's good to feel in "control" again without pain! :spin:
 
That is one fantastic update! Happy knee anniversary!
 
Congrats on your anniversary and your successful return to jazzin! I started back at jazzercise in January -- so far going twice a week and working to build my stamina back up. The knee is holding up fine, but so far I've done all standing for the strength training part of the classes. I'm afraid to go to the floor because I'm not sure I can get there and if I did I'm not sure I can get back up without making a spectacle of myself!
 
Kathy: go for it! i made a spectacle of myself and eventually got results! Glad you went back to Jazz!

Kathy and Leisa: Tuesday, I actually descended to my mat one knee at a time! Hadn't been able to do that in YEARS!

Also, we had talked on someone's thread a month or so ago about kneeling and how uncomfortable (impossible) it was. Since then, I habituated my knees by using a thick cushion, then I got a little bit of feeling back in my knees so it doesn't feel so "weird", and now I can comfortably kneel on a regular exercise mat. So ... That's my "kneeling" report. On the other hand, a Jazzercise instructor friend who's had one TKR reported that her doc said no kneeling on the artificial knee. I plan to talk with my doc about in two weeks, when I go for my ONE YEAR checkup!

And last Thursday, I stopped by my physical therapy place to give a BIG hug to my PT, Yolanda. She made my 6 weeks of therapy interesting, challenging and successful.
 
Leisa,
[Bonesmart.org] Hitched A Ride to The Other Side
Please give us an update when you have the time. We'd love to hear from you.


Take care. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Hitched A Ride to The Other Side
 
Pooshay, I'm happy to see that you are still experiencing progress as you approach your one year mark! :yay: You have been an inspiration to me right from the start and I want to thank you for that! :friends:
 
Jackie, I'm so glad my experiences helped you. I am SO happy with my results (despite the niggling bits).

I realize that people who have successful operations tend to move away from the site and get back to their lives. But, I want to continue to post my successes (and set backs) to show others that there is light at the end of the tunnel ... And it's NOT from an oncoming train!
 
Well, a year ago TODAY I adopted 2 new knees. Had my one-year an-knee-versary visit with the PA who was with me in the OR and at the hospital. PA said: "I can see you've been enjoying the heck out of your knees!" as she came in the exam room while I was watching my hula hoop dance troupe's halftime performance at the University on Texas Arlington women's basketball game last Saturday.

ROM, muscle strength and stability were all good. You know what they do to the legs to check those. I asked about numbness and nerve pain, and the reply was that as long as there's progress (however small), that's good. I also have arthritic back and SI joints, so some of the pain MAY originate there. She's going to talk to anesthesiologist and back doctor's PA.

I asked about kneeling and mentioned that some were told not to. She said its because kneeling is uncomfortable and the patella may not like it. I mentioned conditioning my knees to the point of being able to remain kneeling 3 to 4 minutes (length of my exercise). No restriction on kneeling or any other activity. She approved of my teaching 4-5 low impact Jazzercise classes a week.

Next visit in two years. To say that I'm happy with my knees is an understatement! I'm so glad te PA had taken the time in 2011 to explain the progress of the disease and the benefits of the BTKR, glad that I had a skilled surgeon, and an excellent Physical Therapist. I don't mind that I clunk when I walk; I no longer hear the noise. Or see the scars. All I know is that I don't think when I sit or stand, or go down/up stairs, or run to the phone or pick up something off the floor. MY knees are working!

I talked to a former Jazzercise instructor who had one knee replaced 5 years ago by my team. She's a lot more active than I am.. She runs and bikes; she goes in for a check up every 6 months.

No matter when you had your OP, I hope that you eventually end up where I am. If you are there already: yay! If you've taken a detour, I hope that it's short.

Hugs! See you on your own thread.
 
Yay, Pooshay! Happy Anniversary! I also have noticed that I can feel more in my kneecap area where it was totally numb before! I am 11 months out and still see progress every day, too.
So glad you are doing great!
 
Pooshay,
Happy An-knee-versary. What a great post, it is sure to instill hope with some of our newknees. I am so happy for you about the great outcome you have had.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hitched A Ride to The Other Side
to you PooShay and to your two fabulous knees! Your update just underscores what a wonderful thing total knee replacement is and how life changing it is. You're another success story that will inspire and encourage other members of the forum. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Take care and don't be a stranger---we want to hear from you. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Hitched A Ride to The Other Side
 
@PooShay, Happy Birthday, I am so glad to hear that you are doing so good. It is great to have it done, doesn't it. Both of my knees are now done and I am so glad. I too have trouble with kneeling also but I will work more of it after my hip is done. Then all joints done I can like you really get serious on recovery. Thanks for coming by and saying Hi and telling us of the good news. Don't be a stranger. Take care. Tashia
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom