Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Hitched A Ride to The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nine months today! Starting my 39th week in recuperation. Wow.

The Good Bits:

I can go from sitting to standing without thinking. Same for: going up or down curbs, going up or down stairs IN FRONT of anyone (I always used to go last).

I now teach a regular Jazzercise class (with low impact aerobics, my choice) 2 times a week in addition to the strength training class.

I became certified to teach hoop dance.

I no longer have major leg pain when I walk my brisk 2-milers.

I can sit on the floor and play with the grandsons!

I miss summer and the opportunity to show off my knee tats!

I no longer need pain meds for the knees (still need for back and neck, though).

I fall asleep as soon as I get to bed and I sleep thru the night!

I'm SO glad I got this done ... both at the same time. Now, my knees are no longer the center of my universe, and it feels so good to be healthy again. As usual, I give thanks to my doc, my PTs, my massage therapist, the hubby ... and most of all to my BoneSmart family. I learned SO much here.

The Not So Good Bits (but I can live with it):

I go to sleep early and sleep thru the night, so I miss out on reading BoneSmart postings regularly. But I'm sure I'll get into a new routine soon and catch up. There are so many posts.

I still have nerve pain ... and sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off without the nerve blocks. Actually, not so much pain as annoyance!!!! That doesn't keep me from doing anything, though.

Although I don't think much about the knees, there's still something in the back of my brain about them pre-op. I had a mis-step the other day and yelled "Ouch!" even though it didn't hurt. "That would have hurt!"

R flexion still at 125-129 and there's some pain when I flex too much. Patience still needed.

-----

So, that's my progress report. Nothing major, just little improvements over the course of the months. Wishing continued good recovery to all ... and if you encounter some bumps in the road, wishing you patience and a strong heart (Nat, thinking about you!).
 
Congrats, PooShay! Am at 5 months as of tomorrow, and am really heartened to know what awaits four more months down the line. Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Another milestone met! I was able to "go" in the bushes! Take THAT, knee flexion! (We were rehearsing outside for a HoopDance routine for an audition and there were no facilities around.) :whistle:
Gosh, that is a time when "Poo" Really fit you! :rotfl:
 
PooShay, glad you made it to the other side. I too thought that what I expected was worse than the surgery. Hope you are doing well! :)
 
Fabulous report PooShay!!!:dancy: I know what you mean about not even thinking about sitting, stairs, etc. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and enjoy life.

Margie
 
I just searched for 'nerve pain' and saw your post. I'm so happy to see your progression. I want to be you in a year :)
I am almost 4 mons. out and have started having some really wicked nerve pain on the outside of my leg. I hope to get back to class soon, on the back, low impact. I miss it so much. Your post is encouraging, thanks for posting girl! (this is the first time in 25 yrs. I haven't known the latest new music):heehee:
 
Leisa. My pain is in the right leg (starting right where I had the injection for the block) and happens when I lay down, especially on my right side.

Taught class this morning. I KNOW I was jumping a lot and I hadn't been able to do that in years! Will have to reign myself in, though.
We're doing all the popular stuff. "Gangnam Style" is in the next set! Don't know what the choreo is going to look like.

I FEEL GREAT (still enjoying the effect of the endorphins, I s'pose)!
 
Way to go Mrs. Spunky! Keep up the good work! Oh by the way I will be in Dallas on the 5th and 6th of December. Thought maybe we could find time to see each other! :happydance:
 
Great report PooShay!
And what a fantastic list, teaching Jazzercise wow!! I'm not sure what hoop dance is but I'm sure it's impressive!
 
PooShay,
Great update. Thanks for the encouragement. I have been "contemplating" the possibility of beginning to think about the whole "getting on the floor", kneeling, "getting back off of the floor" thing -- with yoga classes, etc. I've "sampled" putting my weight on Magrat (new right knee) at home on our well-cushioned recliner. That's about as far as I've gotten so far. We'll see.

It helps to see how far you've come. Have a fabulous week.
 
Happy Christmas to all!

What a difference a year made for me, thanks in no small part to the BoneSmart family. Wishing you the best in healthy knees (and other parts)!
 
Merry Christmas to you too, PooShay -- and the rest of our BoneSmart family.
:xmascandle::xmaswindow:
 
Hi Nanners, mine has eased up a bit with my husband massaging my leg w/heavy pressure every day, but wow! that's some wicked pain when it hits. (mine is usually at night when I quiet down)
I hope this time next year it's all a distant memory!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hitched A Ride to The Other Side
PooShay--always good to hear from you. This time a year ago neither of us could imagine being where we are now. And of course, a year seemed an eternity at that time. But we've made it along with so many other BoneSmarties with help and encouragement from one another. Hope this Christmas was the best ever.
[Bonesmart.org] Hitched A Ride to The Other Side
 
Hi Pooshay, good to hear from you and you're doing so well. I saw a TV news article last night on 80's style aerobics in Sydney. All in their 80's style leotards and doing high impact aerobics. Ahhh, took me back in time. I did high impact aerobics four times a week for years along with competitive badminton, so my thought is all that pounding after having meniscus removed didn't help my knee and caused the replacement to be needed earlier. I could be wrong of course!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom