• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

THR Hipster64's Recovery Thread

mainegirl1

graduate
Country
United States United States
@Elf1 I found your grocery store comment funny and so true!
I visited my market four tines the first week with hubby chauffeur and me in the mobility cart
@Hipster64
Consider a movie
New theaters have recliners and you can get out and still ice
Downton Abbey which we saw today was excellent!
Got a disabled placard? Drive all the way up Mt Washington
The handicap lot has no stairs between that and the Sherman observatory

OP
OP
Hipster64

Hipster64

Country
@mainegirl1 : Good idea about the movie. A new movie theater with those beautiful reclining seats was built in my city a couple of years ago and I have not been yet, so this would be the perfect excuse to go! Mount Washington is still a bit of a drive for me now but it's definitely something to think about for the future!

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Hope you woke up this morning, @Hipster64, after a fairly decent night's sleep and feeling a bit more human and ready to tackle your day. It's a sunny afternoon in my neighborhood and it's such a mood booster for me. I trust you'll maybe get out somewhere if cabin fever is overwhelming you, otherwise a quiet spot by a window might be nice. Happy Saturday!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Hipster64
Those newer movie theaters are amazing! I hadn't been in years. While babysitting my granddaughter over the Summer we went several times. Carpeted floors, no sticky painted cement. Oversized soft squishy recliners with cup holders. Ample space in front of seats means no bobbing from side to side because someone's head is in the way. Remember that? You hoped no one tall with a big head, or big hair, sat in front of you. Best yet, no standing up because the kid in the middle of the row has to go to the bathroom 3x. It's the perfect early THR Recovery activity. You're going to love it...enjoy!

OP
OP
Hipster64

Hipster64

Country
@Barbaraj : Beautiful day here in New England for the first day of fall-79 degrees and sunny! I did go outside for a walk since Home PT advised I do 2 laps a day on my street with the cane and it felt wonderful to be out with the sun on my face. I definitely have seasonal affective disorder to a degree because I know I am much happier when the sun is out.

@Layla: Since I am home there really is no excuse for me not to go to the movies, especially if the seats are that comfy and there is ample space. Now that it's back to school time it would be a lot quieter in the afternoon plus cheaper prices!

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I ditto the movie idea! We did that in my early weeks and it was heaven,, I took my beloved ice packs with me, tucked into that comfy recliner and ate a huge amount of popcorn, because we all know that popcorn has healing powers. :snork:
It was so much fun that we ended up going to 3 different movies in the span of about 2 weeks.
I hope the lovely weather that we are having has made it's way to north to you?
Today was so nice,, hot but not humid so bearable.
Take care @Hipster64 -- thank you for the great laugh about you in your dress crawling up the stairs. Boy doesn't that ever put your recoveries into perspective!!
I remember a couple such incidents with my first mangy hip, like trying to get out of a low beach chair in front of many people, in a swim suit.. t'wasn't pretty.. or easy.
You are almost through your second week, the hardest 2 weeks are almost over.. hugs!

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Well, @Hipster64, glad to hear that you've been advised to get out there and walk in the sunshine--sounds like a perfect mood booster as well as some gentle physical activity. It rained like crazy all day here in the PNW, a truly gloomy day which in my case was made worse by a nasty head cold so really feeling sorry for myself. But, tomorrow is another day so just keeping moving along, it's all we can do. Hope you had a good Sunday.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Now that it's back to school time it would be a lot quieter in the afternoon plus cheaper prices!
Lots of theaters it seems have deals like $5 Tuesdays etc. I like CricketHips idea of bringing ice packs.
My granddaughter even made me stash a blanket in my purse in case she got cold. I actually enjoyed going to the movies again after all these years.
Hope you have a great Monday!
@Hipster64

OP
OP
Hipster64

Hipster64

Country
@Barbaraj : I'm sorry to hear about your head cold. That is just about the worst feeling in the world...when your head gets so stuffed up and you can't do anything about it. Rainy weather only adds to the misery. I hope you feel better soon and the rain lets up!

@Layla: Good idea to bring a blanket...sometimes those theatres can get cold if they blast the AC. Right now we are still having a warm fall- it was in the high 70's today (another great walk today) and it's supposed to be 80 tomorrow-so if we choose to go to the movies in the very near future, a blanket may be in order!

Right now I am looking forward to getting my sutures out on Tuesday at the OS visit, and to begin outpatient PT again on Thursday. (Yes, I was one of the nerds that actually liked PT). I have been using the cane exclusively per Home PT. However, this time around Home PT said the Outpatient PT goals will be different for me. Since both legs are now technically fixed, one of the main objectives this time will be gait training as well as strengthening and endurance. I still have knee pain on the recently operated left one but I have to remind myself that I am only two weeks out; that my leg was lengthened this time, so naturally I would be in more pain; and that Rome wasn't built in a day. Like Barbaraj said, I have to "just keep moving along, it's all we can do!"

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave: Hello and a Happy Monday to you! @Hipster64
I'll bet you are looking forward to stitches out. One of those milestones along the way. I wish you well with your office visit tomorrow and your PT on Thursday. Many do like PT and if it works well for you...it's all good! At only a little over two months since your first surgery, you're doing really well. Just think how much better you'll be going into the holidays and new year. Your future looks bright! :SUNsmile:

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Well, I am not sure I'd say "good stuff" is happening this week, @Hipster64, but there will be some specific forward locomotion going on as you get those stitches removed (thankful that I must have had dissolving stitches) and the restart of PT. Like you, I am a PT fan, understanding it can be awful sometimes if it's too early or an insensitive therapist, but I found it very helpful both before and after surgery. I hope your therapist will work with you well, so that you'll slowly but surely work to improve your gait and regain strength and endurance. That is one of the reasons I went back to PT when I was released to do so. I feel as if my gait is completely thrown off with two new hips and my therapist confirmed that for many folks this is a problem--your mind is still focused on how you used to move before surgery, and your body isn't having any of this, causing a bit of a disconnect. I think the sensation (sort of like how you feel when you get off a boat and still have a touch of "sea legs") will fade with time, but I, too, want to make sure my actual gait is in good shape going forward. Happy Monday!

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Hipster64 that is awesome that you're getting the sutures out tomorrow, that always makes you feel better! Hope you have a great visit with your OS and get a good therapist at PT, makes all the difference in the world.

Going to my OS tomorrow as well, right at 11 weeks so I'm guessing he'll probably release me until next year unless I have issues. We shall see.

OP
OP
Hipster64

Hipster64

Country
@Elf1 : Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. I know my OS gave me 12 weeks disability on the left leg so I am assuming I will get at least 12 weeks on the right, especially since the leg was lengthened. I go back again on 10/29 for what I believe is the 6 week appointment for Surgery #2 and possibly the 12 week appointment for Surgery #1.

I have the same folks for PT that I had for Surgery #1. I specifically requested them when the hospital called to set up Outpatient PT for me this time around. They are very nice and always supply me with a nice 10 minute relaxation period with ice at the end of each session. It will be great to see them again!

OP
OP
Hipster64

Hipster64

Country
Hello: So far everything seems to be moving along swimmingly. The nurse at the OS removed my sutures on Tuesday and he, the PA and the NP that saw me were pleased with my progress.

I started PT today and they too were happy with how I am doing. They told me that based on their evaluation, I will likely no longer need the cane after next Tuesday. I will be in PT for at least 8 weeks for gait training, strengthening and endurance. Come to find out, I was supposed to be in PT for 8 weeks for Surgery #1, but was discharged early at 5 weeks due to Surgery #2 being scheduled so closely. So if they want me to do additional PT to make up the difference, fine by me. PT also cleared me to go out socially (nothing too strenuous) and said I should be able to drive next week. I already called the OS to see if that recommendation was okay, per their instructions, so I am waiting to hear back from them on that one.

All in all, good stuff!

Last edited:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Super good update! I bet you are feeling pretty darn pleased with your progress. Just think, if you were still in school, you could write a heck of a report on What I Did During the Summer. :loll:

You are doing so well and you deserve to feel on Cloud Nine.
Hopefully you enjoying the same weather as we are. Sunshine helps everything.

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Wow, this is excellent news, @Hipster64! What a great way to kick off your weekend--opportunities for socializing and driving starting up shortly, which means recovery is well on its way! Glad to read you'll be getting a little extra PT, particularly since it seems like you found a good practice with folks that work well with you and will help nudge recovery along the way with a better gait and an increase in strength and endurance. What a wonderful report!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Wonderful report! Thanks for updating.
Good to hear PT is pleased with your progress. Losing the cane will be such a milestone and step in the right direction, as is being released to drive. Freedom! :driver: It all good, keep it up and have a fab weekend!
@Hipster64

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GlassHarmonica
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom