BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Hipster64's Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Hipster64, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    :happyfeet:Glad to see your post.
    DOUBLE hippy Hipster64!
    Right!
    Healing mojo coming your way :loveshwr:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Yay, @Hipster64, great report post-surgery! Happy that so far you're enjoying (?!!) a less uncomfortable recovery and you've been up and walking, and able to eat. Do take it easy and here's hoping you'll get released today and home to start the real recovery process. Cheers, and welcome to the other side--again.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Woohoo! Another double Hippie in the house, doing well. :happydance:Hope today is as good as yesterday.
    It seems you're off to a great start. Will look forward to following as your THR / 2019 journey continues.
    What a great 2020 you'll have. Have a peaceful day.:)
    @Hipster64

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. Hipster64

Hipster64 member

Hello everyone! My OS said I can be discharged tonight. Good-that means I can have Panko Crusted Cod for both lunch and dinner! It's my favorite hospital meal!

Although I went through this surgery with flying colors, no nausea and less pain, I think I will have to work harder on this leg. PT noticed that I am still turning it outward as opposed to keeping it straight. There is no need for me to limp on it anymore and my brain and leg muscles need to realize that. So for that reason alone, I am looking forward to home and outpatient PT.

However, once again I look six months pregnant, most likely due to fluids, and between the two preadmission tests for both surgeries, I lost a grand total of two pounds. Since I have been diagnosed with body dysmorphic disorder, I am very conscious over that, especially after moving around more and exercising daily by walking, and trying very hard to keep caloric intake between 1500-2000. All the staff I talked to, from nurses to therapists, assured me that once both legs are done and I am moving around more, that the number will slowly go down. Since I was a slug for so long, I can't expect miracles. (Last sentence my words, not theirs).

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 5:24 PM
  5. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Well, that's kind of hard..:umm:

I say expect miracles.
    Just not instantaneous ones.
    Getting happy new hips will be inspiring....I'm on your side.
    Now is not the time to do anything but heal so chill until all can settle...strengthening, toning, working on gait...all can happen after you heal.
    Healing hugs, my friend.
    You've got this!:tada:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hipster64

Hipster64 member

I was shaking in my home this afternoon and the temperature inside was 76 degrees. Took my temperature and it was 102.2. I called the OS and I am going there tomorrow morning to be seen and to have them take a look at the dressing.

I just took Tylenol right before my temperature spiked and I feel a little better, temperature has dropped to 100.8. However, I am not cancelling my appointment-better to be safe than sorry.

For some good news, Home PT visited me this AM and told me I was a Rockstar; that I was doing fantastic and anticipates that I will excel at recovery. I feel opposite because more was done to my left side and therefore, it will take longer to get back to normal. We'll see how things develop.

7. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Glad to hear you're not canceling your doctor's appointment, @Hipster64 . Even with a lowered temperature after Tylenol, I'd be concerned. Hope it's nothing serious. And congrats, Ms. Rockstar! How nice to get a compliment from your home PT. So often we're hypercritical of ourselves and how slowly we feel we're progressing that we forget we actually ARE doing well--so savor that compliment, enjoy! It will take some work to get you up and moving slowly (I just started PT and know I've got some exercises ahead of me) but you WILL get there. Chin up, girl!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Layla

Good Afternoon @Hipster64
    Wondering how your office visit went today? I know a low grade fever can be common in the early days following surgery but I guess 102.2 warranted a call into the surgeon's office. With any luck it's returned to normal today and you're resting comfortably. Please let us know how you're doing. Kudos on the positive words from PT. :thumb:
    A peaceful evening to you!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. Hipster64

Hipster64 member

Hi everybody: I went to the OS this morning at 10:30 AM. Fever dropped to 98.5, but the OS noticed my dressing was already saturated and that Home PT would have to change it for me this afternoon, which they did. Home PT also told me to keep in mind that I was discharged from the hospital after one night this time around as opposed to two nights the last time, so things will be different.

I felt like a fool going in there because the fever dropped and I was wasting people's time, but my OS told me better to be safe than sorry. And of course when I got home, the fever immediately spiked back up to over 101. When Home PT came this afternoon it was back down to 100 and change, where it is now. But the OS told me this is common in the early stages of healing and to continue my Tylenol/Tramadol regimen as prescribed. He also told me that he saw me walking in the hospital and says I am doing great, so there's that.

Also, the OS office apparently got into it with my PCP. For some bizarre reason, my PCP wanted to see me today at 11:30 AM, two days post discharge which is an unusually close timeframe and quite frankly, ridiculous. I am in worse pain this time around because the OS has also straightened my pelvis and lengthened my leg-the left leg pain radiates right down to the ankle-and I would have to walk with my walker through a rat maze of a ramp to get to my PCP's office. It was tough enough going to the OS this early out and I only did it because I had to, but to make it to the PCP would be hell. The OS obviously cancelled the PCP appointment for me, and the PCP's office was not happy and demanded that I be responsible to reschedule. The OS advised them that it was the PCP's responsibility to reschedule, not mine. The OS also agreed the PCP's visit timeframe was ridiculous. So if I don't hear from the PCP within a week, I will call them per instructions of the OS.

As I said before, I truly believe this is going to be a tougher recovery. It already seems different. I now have some groin pain in the right hip area which I haven't had in weeks-per the OS, it's because I am walking differently now. Even my home PT said I have been put through way too much, too soon today such as walking and car transfers, and that walking with the walker today with them was out of the question. The only thing they want me to concentrate on is resting, ice, elevation and hydration.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 8:10 PM
  10. FayeL

FayeL new member

Canada Canada
    Congrats to you and sorry to hear of your side effects! Feeling nauseous on top of everything else just plain sucks. I am day 6 post right THR and almost had my hospital discharge postponed for dizziness, nausea and a plummeting blood pressure overtime I sat up (hence the dizziness and nausea) from the pain meds. I agree with Jaycey- ask for anti-nausea medication (I was given one and within 2 hours, was able to be OK'ed for discharge.) There is no place like home- hope you make it home tonight! Best wishes!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  11. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Absolutely NO REASON to feel embarrassed for going to see your surgeon, @Hipster64! You absolutely did the right thing, and just be grateful that it wasn't anything serious and it put your mind at ease going forward. I am finding recovery #2 harder as well. I don't have the pain you're experiencing, thankfully, but my therapist yesterday explained that with two new hips, it is going to take time to "train" myself to walk properly and for that not to feel weird. Even though I'm walking well (except for uneven surfaces where I feel horribly drunk almost) it just doesn't feel natural and I definitely need work to address my gait. So, you need to relax and follow doctor's orders: rest, hydrate, ice and elevate. You are going to get through this recovery, no matter if it's tougher than last time. And remember you ARE a Rockstar!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Layla

Aww, don't feel foolish for going into the OS. You weren't wasting people's time. That's what they're there for. You're providing them with job security :heehee: Good way to look at it.

We do often read of members dealing with low grade fevers early on. I'm sure it will regulate very soon. I'm sorry this recovery feels rougher. Really though..your body is still in healing mode from the first and now not even two months later, Lefty wants in on the action of ice, rest, meds, healing energy.
    I hope you have a peaceful weekend on tap and you're able to get LOTS of rest :)
    Wishing you comfort and healing. :friends:
    @Hipster64

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Hipster64 :hi: hello and congrats on your second shiny new hip! You've been through a lot already and I sure would have called my OS office too, with a 102.2 temperature. This is the time to be safer than sorrier. Getting there sounded rugged though. bummer. But now you can rest, cozy up in your resting place of choice, slap on heaps of ice and rest.
    You did it! :happydance:
    Hopefully your weekend will be calmer.

• Friendly Friendly x 2