Hello: I know I haven't been on here in a long time but I wanted to update everyone on my progress.
My hips are still doing great. I am thankful every day that I was given the opportunity to get my life back and am so thankful that I got both surgeries pre-pandemic, as hip replacements were considered "elective surgeries" and were postponed. I don't classify hip replacements in the same category as voluntary breast enlargement, but that's just me.
Because I stopped going to the gym once the pandemic hit, I walk 1.5 miles every day now, or 16 laps, on my little street. Rain or shine. I still do my bed exercises prescribed by my home PT. Not scheduled to see the OS again until September 2025, 5 years post joint replacement. Unfortunately, my OS who performed my surgeries has left the area and transferred to another facility but the OS who took over a lot of his work said he would be happy to take me on as a patient.
The rotten, crummy tooth crown that had fallen out at least 50 times is gone as well as the tooth which had to be pulled, and I just got my implant in February.
The best news is that the pandemic made me reconsider some life choices. So, in March 2022-one month after my son turned 26 and I no longer had to insure him-I retired from my full-time position with a pension. And I haven't stopped since. I was able to make my bucket-list dream of an Alaska cruise come true last year. I have also since retirement traveled to Ohio to visit friends as well as gone to Myrtle Beach, Atlantic City, Ottawa, Quebec City, Montreal and the Pennsylvania Dutch area twice. We do a lot of day trips and I have met new people and have made wonderful new friends.
Oh, and the Omaha trip I was so sad about having to cancel? We took it four weeks ago and I accomplished my goal to walk that Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge and place one foot in Nebraska and the other in Iowa! Three miles round trip!
I have also joined a lifetime learning group for people 55 and over and have been asked to consider joining the group's Board Of Directors. I have met some really cool people there too and have taken classes in birdwatching, classical music appreciation, history, psychology, literature and film. I am the youngest person in the group and am known as "Baby Retiree" but that's fine.
In between all of this, I work part-time and remotely in an insurance-related position as an independent contractor, plus I assist my 83-year-old dad with bill paying, household projects and whatever else he needs me to do. We also go out for breakfast together occasionally and we always take him along if we take the bus to the casino!
And my son moved out, bought a house with his girlfriend who is now his fiancee! He proposed right before Christmas! Looking at a fall 2026 wedding.
Life is good! And if it hadn't been for my surgeries, and the encouragement I received on this board, I wouldn't be where I am today.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!