THR Hippie Chick’s Recovery Journey

Skin hurts when bandage tape is removed. Is this common? It feels like my skin is being removed with the tape.
 
Just had my main dressing removed a few weeks ago and it did hurt! My first op five years ago I had a lot of problems with log keg and used a crepe bandage to lift it in and out of bed.

With this hip this time it took me 3 weeks before I could gingerly lift the leg into bed without help. Be patient. It will come!

The next thing will be the lovely sharp Zaps you will get as numbness wears off and your nerves fire up. This is a good thing. Think of a Mission Control in your body with lots of little people throwing switches and firing you up!

I’m just into my fifth week and still have numbness and stiffness around the buttocks and scar. Gentle walking with small steps but with as normal a gait as possible followed by icing helps..,
 
Thanks for sharing- I felt like my skin was being removed. The unexpected things are the worst! The back of my heel surgical side is also a sore spot. I will be on the lookout for zaps. This site is helping me so much!
 
Hi Hippie Chick

How did you find your practice run of going down steps without a handrail ? I must admit I didn't venture out in the garden in the end, so I haven't tried it yet.

I had the same problem with a sore spot on the back of my heel, it has only just began to ease although my husband says it still looks pretty sore.
 
I had heavy rain so stair practice was put on hold. Doctor’s appointment on Tuesday. Thanks for sharing about your heel- my sister has put lotion on it several times but that hasn’t helped overly much.
 
@Hippie Chick With your sore heel, you need to make sure it is elevated off of the bed or any surface it might be resting on. Place a pillow under your lower leg right above your ankle and the top edge of your heel so that your heel "floats" off the surface. I would also avoid the heel slides as well for right now. Be sure you discuss your sore heel at your appointment on Tuesday. Keep us posted.
 
the back of my heel surgical side is also a sore spot.
Many experience this and find relief in using a small sheepskin, placed under their heel while sleeping or reclining. Good luck with your appointment on Tuesday.
 
I had a rolled up and taped towel that I placed under my ankle. It helped keep the back of my leg stretched out but also kept my heel off of the bed/recliner.
 
Hope your follow up appointment goes well today and that the steps aren't a problem.
 
Home from the doctor, everything is as it should be. X-ray and incision look good. Everything else will take time. I managed the stairs- I needed someone to stand near me as I descended the steps. Waiting for your foot to land on the step is traumatic. Going up was easier. A handrail would help a bunch. Thanks to everyone for sending good thoughts!
 
I managed the stairs- I needed someone to stand near me as I descended the steps. Waiting for your foot to land on the step is traumatic.
I remember this days! I recall one day i decided it would be better to descend toddler-style (i.e.; on my butt). I only did that once because getting up and down from a seated position presented a bigger challenge than trying to walk down the steps. :heehee:

Don't worry, it does get better.
 
Thanks for understanding! I am becoming firmly convinced that if you have not been through this storm, you have no idea. You were brave to try it seated. I don’t think I could sit on the step just yet.
 
Today is a beautiful early Autumn day here! I worked up the nerves to go to the back deck - one step each way. Coffee tastes better outside with the sun shining on you. My dogs are also staying at my sisters. My brother in law is working with them on their manners which is much appreciated. The white patio chair with cushion has been wonderful! Just the right height plus easy to move as needed around the house. I hope everyone is having a wonderful restful weekend!
 
Sunshine makes everything better, @Hippie Chick, doesn't it? Glad to hear the patio chair is working well. (Remember to ice when you elevate.)

:flwrysmile:
 
Is swelling still to be expected two weeks after surgery?

Also, skin on surgical leg is supysenstive. Crumb near my ankle, I can sense it.

Any movement that side, all muscles in the leg seem to clinch.

How often should I be elevating and icing?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom