Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* Hip revision

Hi there, I was just reading you history and we have some things in common. Just wondering how you were going...
 
Lucky to be alive, just an update…

I am not out of the woods, almost died due to infection/surgery anesthesia that essentially put my liver into failure that the docs were not sure If I would make it. I did survive, but I had to go back in again for another revision since infection did not go away. I am on antibiotics for a year and hopefully will see what happens from there. I didn’t bother coming back to post since I felt I could not get the support I needed here so no point of asking for help anyway.

You would be surprised what you are able to live through. I had my first replacement and got heterotopic ossification (HO) which was removed. An infection followed and I had to go back in for a debriment only to suffer a deeper infection, get blown off, almost die, and wind up with a new doctor during covid lockdowns as my original surgeon does not do revisions. I got lucky with the new surgeon. He took my case even though it was a difficult one. I spent 6 months in and out of the hospital. Three surgeries, two picc lines, and a year of antibiotics and I still could be on antibiotics for life, based on the disease docs assessment. I'll know more about that soon.

After all I've been through, I would hesitate to recommend a hip replacement to a young person like myself. My complications were numerous in included infection, the heterotopic ossification, leg length discrepancy of almost an inch from the first surgery, and more. Since I had difficulty getting any of the doctors I saw to listen to my concerns about my leg, it impacted not only my hip but my entire body. Unfortunately, ego played a role here on the doctors side.

I am now battling a second brain tumor which I received radiation and have a tumor in my tibia and several in my thyroid to still follow up on. Its been a struggle so I have not posted.

As I was going through all this, I took 1500mg of Naproxin daily and it caused the cataracts that I now have. Not everyone will advise you of this risk ahead of time. When you get HO, you have to wait one year to get it removed. The procedure also removes soft tissue that does not regrow. I ended up with dents in my leg that can fill with fluid that hopefully does not get infected. I became weaker from constant surgeries and all that cutting some of my muscles atrophied. I've had difficulty regaining the muscle activity and strength.

All this and I paid $5000 up front for a Mako robotics surgery as I was afraid and full of fear and wanted accuracy. I went to one of the best docs with huge numbers under his belt and high reviews. I say now that I prefer humble doctors who do revisions. If you need a revision, make sure your doctor is experienced in doing them. If they aren't and you have problems, no other doctor will help you as most will not take up the work for someone else's mistakes. They don't tell you this and I almost lost my life over it due to seeking help and being rejected over and over.

I do not know what else to say, but I know that I am a living medical Chimera with implants, transplants, plates and screws and it all started early. I do not think I will see 50. My body feels that way. I know this sounds terrible, but I feel people need to see the truth of the reality of what can go wrong and what can happen when it does. Do not think its all puppy kisses and butterflies and happy rainbows. There is a down side to any of these operations and hopefully it will not happen to you. I am a fighter and try to think positive, but a realist as well. I am doing the best I can on my own. I now know what to expect with a joint replacement. and you should be aware too.
 
I’m sorry for the misfortune you continue to face. Your history is not typical.
While Heterotopic Ossification can be a result of surgery we don’t read of it often here and understand it can be successfully treated. There are many stories on our site of post op infections that were effectively treated also. I do think most go into surgery aware of the possibility of complications, but not expecting them. We take a chance with the hope of a brighter future. Joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. It’s truly sad you’ve suffered so much adversity. I wish you comfort, peace and healing.
 
@Windy City.....I am so very sorry to hear all you've been through. I know you realize what you're going through are rare complications, but understandably that means nothing when it's YOU that's having to deal with it all. Statistics are unimportant when you are on the bad end of the numbers. But I'm heartened that you are better now and hopeful that improvements will continue. You obviously are a fighter and a strong spirit and that's extremely important.

Although your situations are not exactly the same, your challenges are similar enough that I think you would benefit reading about the recovery of one of our members who also has had a long series of mistakes and misfortunes that are now life threatening for her. She had a knee done and not a hip, but many of the challenges have been as serious as yours. Her username is @Mamie and you can read her story in the knee recovery forum. Feel free to post to her there if you like.

I'm sorry you felt you couldn't get the support you needed here. Granted there are times when a situation is beyond the expertise of an online forum, but we also serve as a sounding board where you can at least share your frustrations and feelings and know there are people here who care and will do their best to try and lift your spirits. We want to do that for you. So please never hesitate to post when you need that human connection with people who will understand the things you're feeling and going through even if they cannot offer specific help to make things better medically. I wish you even more strength to deal with all this and hope you choose to update us now and then. :console2:
 
Last edited:
Hello Windy City. It’s so nice to see you appear a bit less stressed. You have every reason and right to be so, but believe me that anger hurts your very self. So, it’s good to see you chatting so much with everyone. Josephine and Jamie are great supporters and helped me get through my anger and frustrations. Plus so many others.

I wish I could come through the computer and help you tell a few doctors off. You know, I do have some very helpful advice and I still do it myself. I taught my daughter this simple way to relieve pent up frustrations. I call it “Scream therapy” and it works like a charm! But, be sure you close your windows and turn up your television if you live close to neighbors. Are you ready? Sit in a comfortable chair of your choosing and sit tall. Now open your mouth wide, take in a huge breathe and scream as loud and long as you can. Still frustrated? Do it again.

Now that you feel better let me welcome you to Bone Smart where everyone has your back, cares about your pain, progress or the weather if that’s your topic. What I’m trying to tell you is that you need to be good to yourself and come back every day if you can and visit others too. Support is a major role for healing.

When I first joined up I went through many similar stories as you have shared. I thought I would go crazy as it was frustrating to put your trust in a surgeon or anyone else to be so disappointed. I thought my surgeon was going to be great as it took so long to find him. I, too needed a revision, but on my knee not hip.

I too, believe everyone should be told the possible bad outcomes as then you have power. Knowledge is power. My surgeon promised me a new wonderful life with a working leg and little pain, I had found him by reading hundreds of reviews and then made the call that started my journey into the same hell you are in yourself.

My surgeon took the credit of another surgeons review who had held his patients hand comforting him as he was alone his wife had passed away. I was moved by that surgeons kindness. Imagine my rage when I discovered he was not a kind soul but one who lied the first time meeting him?

That went on to follow everything else. Waking from surgery I screamed from pain. The PA came and removed my compression wrap to see my wounds and forgot to rewrap my leg. No one remembered and my leg went into Charlie horses for days. That error cost me 20 plus fluid pounds in a few days which almost two years later I still am trying to rid of but the fluid has become trapped and things are too risky to surgically drain it. It also left me wide open to develop blood clots he would not treat.

I was on injectable Warfarin for over a year. I had to reach out to my internist for help because he would not order an ultrasound. He refused my pain meds making up another lie stating it was against the law after three months. The home health care called him when pain was so bad it drove up my blood pressure to 208/155 for days.That was a few days after surgery but he would not take the call.

My story goes on but this is your story. If anyone wants to know the negative sides of the hip or knee revisions, you and I can certainly share what we know! I only wanted you to know I am here for you as everyone else and understand your terror about what’s happening to you and how you feel. My leg will never be the same or be able to walk without pain. It’s non repairable from notching my tibia and femur most of my leg length. Attorneys here in Seattle let me down too by telling me it’s a great case but I’m 74 and my life is not worth as much as someone younger!!

So, yes we have all know your pain from our own grief or from someone we know. Thank Please don’t give up. We are here for you and won’t abandon you. I need to step away for 48 hours to tend to more medical but will watch out for any messages from you.

I’m happy to share the journey with you any time. I’m on the west coast so there’s a time difference.

One more piece of advice. I read somewhere you are thinking on using a walker. Be careful. I used mine so much because my surgeon was never pleased with my progress but PT was too difficult with my leg swollen so badly it would not bend nor could a finger get between my calf and thigh. I put so much pressure on the walker for support that I tore all of my biceps off my shoulder leaving me with a right arm out of use and left leg/ knee messed up from surgery. BTW…my leg/ knee going on two years are still not healed.

Take care of you. “Isten up to no PT and remember to ice. It’s your new best friend! Your surgery is still so very new and has been put through the wringer.

It’s after 4 now and my appointment is at 9 so I had better sleep. Have a better day each and every new day!

Mamie
 
I am sorry and thank you all for support. It is surreal, everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Everything I was afraid might happen did happen. All my fears came true even when I went to 4 specialists trying to see if anything but hip replacement could be done. I spent a year on research and found out about Mako robotics and researched that too. I went and found a doctor who had a "good rep" and is famous too in this area and is on the news a ton for this specialty. How could it possibly become a dumpster fire? Well he was so famous you are nothing but an assembly line patient which I found out the hard way. Getting him to see me was impossible once the surgery was done and I was passed off onto assistants and blown off over and over and over again. Its hard to imagine this can happen but it does.

I went from a 30/40 something year old who did kick boxing and weight lifting to help me care for my sick father who was 6ft 6 inches and over 300 pounds that I carried myself. Now I am disabled but I got to keep my leg. I am grateful for that.

I had what was to be a simple anterior robotics method for the most perfect accuracy on the face of the planet and wound up with HO grade 3 and told to stand for the rest of my life and buy a standing desk (doc told me this) , and leg length issues. A tendon was ultimately cut in the front that caused pain due to the leg length issues and I got an infection that was blown off the first time and put me in hospital. My leg swelled up and became an emergency that required immediate surgery. I went to another doctor for help and that doctor called my first surgeon. I suspect he made him own up to his responsibility to remove the HO and I think that's what caused the rest of my issues...I feel he didn't want to and was made to fix his mistake. I feel that this affected the final outcome when a doctor is reprimanded by another doctor, they take it out on you. This other doctor was not even part of the team but was the only one to help me and ultimately help me find someone to save my life.

So there are two other doctors involved in saving my life..one didn't have to get involved, but he knew I was going to die if someone didn't stick up for me. From this point on I was bouncing from office to office desperate for help once I found out I had a really nasty infection My original doctor does not do revisions and it was difficult to find another surgeon.

I actually did give up and accepted my fate after being turned down 3 times from doctors seeing the reports and looking at my leg. One doctor even said "What a mess" and wished me luck and he would not take my case. I actually had the doctor who had nothing to do with the surgeries calling me and I told him all the doctors I went to see and told him that they all rejected me. He went and found one and told me to try him because my life was at stake. Thank god, because I had given up and was prepared to suffer a horrible death.

With all the covid lock downs getting anyone to commit was like pulling teeth. All the while during all this I was coming here in a panic as nothing was going right from the start. Amputation did come up a lot during this time. I would honestly rather die than suffer that. It's not fair for anyone to be put through that. It was a horrible road and the final doctor did agree to help me. I was in tears crying in the office due to expecting yet another rejection. I was scheduled as soon as they could get me in due to covid overcrowding and I was put in a computer room (which is another story). That's how bad the covid crowding was.

You know when your allowed in with infected covid patients to a packed hospital your life is on the line. By the time I saw the final doctor my infected leg was opening up and draining on a regular basis.

This great doctor took on something he didn't have to and he's a hero in my book. I wrote massive reviews for the two doctors who saved my life and that doctor was offered a job in Maui. He leaves in May. I am scared as I am not out of the woods yet and hope this is fixed for good. I am still on medication and do worry for when I come off the antibiotics. If it comes back....who will save me now?

I did come here in a panic as you're right...its not normal to have everything bad that could go wrong in a surgery steam roll you all at once. I am living proof it can happen and hope it does not happen to anyone else. It's terrifying and I was alone for all of it having to go through a crash course to figure it out on my own. I hoped to God someone had the answers I needed to avoid or reduce the amount of suffering I had to go through. I wish this on nobody and my future is still uncertain. Even if all this is rare, it can happen.

So if you want to know about the tendon cutting, leg length issues, HO, infections, Seromas, double two stage revisions, pick lines, anterior and posterior surgeries, and what it felt like, I can tell you. Hopefully this information helps somewhat. It's not an easy road if something goes wrong. It's a fight. Hopefully, if some of these things happen to you, you will have someone in your corner if it comes down to it and you will get through. I am still in progress and terrified to have more surgeries down the road. I now trust the guy who is leaving for Maui..so in Homer Simpson's words..DOH!
 
@Windy City .... I am glad for the doctors who did step up to help you. It's not a perfect world and it's true that when a patient has serious problems after a joint replacement, that a great many of the surgeons out there are ill equipped to deal with it. While they certainly could have been more sympathetic to your situation and even helped you find both an orthopedic specialist and an infectious disease specialist who would have taken your case, I know not everyone will do that. That actually is part of what BoneSmart does for our members who are having serious issues, so I'm sorry you weren't here during it all so we maybe could have provided some assistance.

You are fortunate to have kept both life and limb and it sounds like things are improving for you now. Please try to focus on that and not let the bad things that are in the past rule your thoughts. As Mamie mentioned in her post, keeping a positive, forward-looking attitude makes a huge difference in your ability to deal with whatever future challenges may come up.

I do hope you decide to continue to chronicle your journey here as you make your way to a better place with your hip. People on the forum want to support those who are having problems and they will do that for you. If you believe in prayer, that can help. Try to focus on the good things in your life each day. They are there if you look for them. You have taken an active role in your care. That's a really good thing that you need to continue as you find a replacement for your departing doctor and work on your recovery.

We do need to update your signature, so could you please list out the procedures you've had since your revision in December 2020? One of the staff will update your signature so people can see what you've been through.
 
Oh, Windy City, I am so sorry to hear about the issues of leaky legs. I faced this seemingly exact problem and finally saw someone to help me. In my case, the surgeon damaged my lymph nodes, and it caused fluid back up with terrible swelling. As a result, blisters were all over the leg, and then they opened, causing weeping sores. Maybe you should see a dermatologist. It may sound nuts, but what do you have to lose? I did, and he prescribed a steroid ointment, and for the first time in nearly two years, the wounds from the weeping fluid are healing. I also see an epidemiologist who has me in 40% compression by using two stockings on each leg (compression 15-20) to make up to 40 but easier to put on. After a few weeks of daily wearing these thigh highs for 12 to 13 hours, fluid is moving enough that my leg is getting slightly better, and time will help push the fluid out.

It has pushed fluid to my chest, so a body wrap is next. I am not suggesting that you do what I have done, but at least it is worth considering. The blisters you are describing may lead to pushing the skin apart, as it did to me. If I can help you, I am happy to do so. If you want to chat privately, let me know, and we can write using the Personal Messages on BoneSmart. We all need help, and this group will give you what you need. It had helped me become more of a positive thinker again, able to write again, all when I thought it was impossible! With an open mind and heart, listen to your friends in this group who have been in or are close to your situation

Good Luck, Mamie
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom