Revision THR hip replacement gone bad<

Thank you, sweet @Layla, and intrepid @clodaghcov for missing me. We are still in New Zealand. If there is no fog, which there often is here early in the morning, tomorrow am, we will be off for Sydney to catch our plan for LA and cross country we go. The timing is so strange being on the other side of the earth; we will arrive LA before we leave Sydney. We leave here Wednesday am and arrive NC in the early evening of the same day. We have just gotten used to the day and night here and now have to transition back to Eastern U.S. time.

Nothing unusual happened here except we have connected in a very touching way with a gem of a 6 year old grand daughter. We have had a week and a an extra weekend out of the two weeks with her and she is a delightful 6. Her dad is my husband's son but I am called grandma. What a treasure. Her own grandma is no longer living so it my honor to serve in her absence.

We spent 2 days at a site about 2 hours drive up into the mountains from here, which is a hot springs area. It was the coldest day of our trip, about 43 degrees up there and though I thoroughly enjoyed going into about 3 of the thermal pools, each hotter than the other, it is not my highest joy to wander around in my bathing suit in 43 degree weather. So we did not venture back in the afternoon but stayed in the warm and cozy cabin while little miss sunshine and her dad stayed until dark. A bundle of energy is she.

I have done a great deal of walking here and about but am still on the cane. . .one of those damnable plateaus I hope comes to an end soon. I can walk on my own for very short periods but it is so hard and takes so much energy that I apparently don't have. I do have to get back to walking for distances when I get home with or without the cane. I can tell my surgery leg is not quite there yet sometimes and sometimes it is there. Time will tell if it will come about but, of course, the trip has taken a great deal out of me. I will be grateful for a weekend on the boat when we get back next to a pool, sunshine and rest.

Enjoy the upcoming holiday weekend to you both. Always appreciate your kind words clodaghcov.

Oh, I can easily be that type, but he hasn't peeled me a grape yet. I'll suggest it!

Love to you both and take care of each other. :roseshwr:
 
But the peels are the best part of the grape!!

Glad you had a good trip.
Six year olds are wonderful and exhausting...my great niece reminds me of that when I spend time with her at my sister's.

Is in the 90s in Georgia this week so you'll back to the warm in your neck of the woods too I'm guessing.
Safe travels!
 
I miss my friend :bawl:
Are you still in New Zealand?
Or just out tearing up the town everyday?
Sending love and hugs :loveshwr: :friends:
@zinnia
 
Are you stateside?
Thinking of you as Florence approaches...didn't know if you are in flood zones or...
Pop by as I shall worry for you.
:friends:
 
Same here - I've been thinking about you and wondering how you were doing but now worry about you with this storm. Stay safe!
 
Stay safe if you're back home. I don't want you floating away.
I Really Miss You!
@zinnia
 
:hi:
Really worried about how things are where you are!
Where you are?

Send a post when able...:unsure:
 
Hope you're safe and well. Miss you!
@zinnia
 
Wondering how things were on the homefront?
Hope all is well with you and yours!:praying:
 
Hello All. . .I am fine. Florence hit us hard. We live in New Bern, the little city you have been seeing on CNN. Lots of trees down, devastating water damage. We have had to take some pines down because they split and another one or two because we don't want to go through that scare again. One of the neighbor's trees fell in our yard but they removed to CT and now can't get back in because we are cut off from the rest of the world, surrounded by water.
There is still no milk and bread in the grocery stores. And precious little gas either. It's still a bit frightening here.
The rivers, the Neuse and the Trent converge here and they will crest Thursday which means we will probably flood again but for a shorter time.
The water from our creek came up the highest I've seen it but stayed about 100 feet away from the house. When the surge came in there was about 5 feet of water downtown and 27 inches of rain on top of that. Now all the rivers in North Carolina are picking up the rain that Florence poured on the inland counties.
We road that sucker out though; I sat up Thursday night, Gerry went to bed and actually slept. I woke him up when it got light because I wanted him to look and see if we had any damage. I was too scared to look. We have power now and wifi but others do not. Many of the stores and shops do not have power yet. It has been rough.
We are lucky but our sailboat did go down. She's on the bottom, completely submerged and we aren't the only ones either. About half of the marinas boats were damaged or sunk due to a fluke with some new fangled device they put on the pilings that failed. So that will be nasty and probably go to court.
But not to worry, Sweet @Layla and Dear @Mojo333 we are well. Thank you all for worrying about me. It is always a blessing to know that there are folks who care enough to worry about you and let you know it. Thank you so much @SaraK and @clodaghcov I think of you both too and wonder how you fare. . .not storm side but just your daily goings and comings. Love all you good people.
 
Oh my stars...I'm glad I didn't know previously you were in New Bern else I would have been more anxious for you then I already was!!!
Thank heavens you are okay although I know with the flooding there is more to come.
I hate that y'all lost your sailboat.
Have been praying for all the folks in your area. Glad you have some outside contact.
I hope that relief is coming in quickly for those who have lost all and thankful you and husband are on higher ground!
What a stress to come home to but I suspect would've been worse had you been away worrying what would be and unable to get back in.
Sending thanks to the Man that you're okay:praying:
Please pop by some when able in next few days as I will be thinking of you as the rivers continue to rise.
Also I will pray for no rain!
You know we care very much for our good friend XOXO:roseshwr:
 
Last edited:
I'm so happy to hear from you, Zinnia. I've been worried knowing you were in the area. Sorry you lost your boat. There has been so much destruction from this hurricane, the stories are unbelievable. Loss of life, heartbreaking. The pictures coming across the tv of all the flooding....devastating. It's difficult to imagine being cut off from the world, it makes you realize how important being prepared is, never knowing how long you may be isolated. Thankfully your power was restored and you are safe. Please know you're in our thoughts and prayers for protection and safety as you slowly ease your way out of Florence's wrath. Big hugs, sweet Zinnia. :console2:
@zinnia
 
So glad to hear from you! We were worried enough - I'm glad I didn't know you were truly in the thick of it or I would have been panicking! I'm so sorry to hear about your sailboat - it sounds like you enjoyed getting out in it. I hope insurance (yours or theirs) takes care of replacing it soon. Getting power and WiFi back relatively quickly is so helpful to getting back to normal (or as normal as can be without access to all of the food and supplies. I saw that some food and water are being airlifted into the area. I hope sufficient quantities reach you quickly. I'll continue to think of you and hope the situation improves rapidly. The good news about the rivers cresting is that they should begin to recede. Hopefully the flood waters didn't do too much damage to the roads and bridges.

:flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Things are beginning slowly to get back to normal here. Some don't have power yet or wifi or all the tech you need to run a business. I don't know how downtown fared with the cresting yesterday. It should not last long as our rivers go into the sound very close to us and then into the Atlantic. South Carolina is getting the flooding now. They were on the right side of the storm when it came ashore just south of us; we were on the wrong end of Florence. But she turned SouthWest then and the rivers are cresting flood stage there now. We are taking a ride today to visit a neighborhood up the road from us that was hit very hard, River Bend. As you can guess it is right on the Neuse. It is a treat to live on the river but not right about now.

The grocery stores are open. The shelves are not completely stocked but there is milk and bread. People have gone crazy and cleared the shelves Wednesday of a bunch of products. We went Thursday and stocked up on our regular weekly list but some folks are preparing for the next hurricane. The neighbors next door have not returned from Connecticut yet. There was a couple of days this week when roads were open to the outside but they are closed again because of the cresting. And the governor is telling all evacuees to stay out until after the cresting.

We haven't been down in the historic home district yet; beautiful old homes in there, some on the river. I wonder how things went for them. I love this town, so pretty. I am not pleased with the damage done to her but people have lost loved ones around us so we are the lucky ones.

So life continues to be good @Layla and @Mojo333; @SaraK and @clodaghcov all things equal. Florence hit us all, young and old, rich and poor, believers and non-believers. Those who don't believe in climate change, or whatever they are calling it now need to take another look. This was not your usual hurricane season. There are a few looking at us from afar. The season doesn't end until Nov. 2 and Sept. and Oct. are the most dangerous months.

Love you all bundles of zinnias. :loveshwr::flwrysmile:Enjoy your weekend. :egypdance:
 
Not sure where it went but local folks including my charity sent trucks with water and cleaning supplies for relief efforts.
Glad to hear you are hanging in there...:flwrysmile:
 
Happy to hear things are slowly returning to normal for you, zinnia.
What a scary destructive event. One you'll never forget. Just so thankful you're safe.
Please take care of yourself and get enough rest as you're digging out.
Sending love and hugs your way. :loveshwr: :console2:
@zinnia
 
Dear ones. . . @Layla and @mojo333. . .I am feeling very sorry for South Carolina now. I lived in Columbia for a few years; went to the University in fact. They are flooded. Never in all my life have I known Columbia to flood. Such a pitiful sight to see those pictures.

We survive here but there still are power outages, and no wifi in spots. Havelock, a small town attached to the Marine air base closer to the coast is suffering still and so many people I am finding have lost homes or first floors and cars. . .so much destruction. Hard to get your mind around even as you see it. The edge of the road fills up with huge piles, 6 or 7 feet high and twice as long. The trucks come and take it away and the same thing the next day.

I, meanwhile, have been walking more unassisted but still have muscles surrounding the appliance in the hip not ready for serious walking yet. I get discouraged from time to time. . .so much time and loss of energy and stamina and muscle strength. If only the first surgery had succeeded. But it didn't and that is that. Time to keep going. The Y is not open since the storm but it will be open next week on a limited basis. I want to check with some classes to see if instructors will let me use a chair to steady myself on if necessary. We shall see and I'll let you know.

Time to make a walk about the yard and see what is still here. I haven't done it yet. Too frightened to see what we have lost. My young dogwood which was covered and down from the neighbor's tree in our yard got taken care of yesterday. And it is happily just fine. Some of the buds at the top are green so I think it will make it back. We do have a crepe myrtle and the dogwood to stake and tie straight. They are a bit weirdly crooked.

Love to you both. I hope your week goes well and happily. :)
 
So much devastation! The world keeps moving as you all are still digging out. It's your reality and I'm sorry for all who were affected. The destruction and loss of life is so sad, zinnia. I'm very thankful you're okay.
People still trapped in their homes without electricity and unable to navigate their flooded roads / streets.
It's so very sad.

I'm happy to hear you're walking more frequently unassisted. It's taking time, dear zinnia, that leg has suffered so much. Slowly but surely it will come. I'm sure the stress and anxiety of your travels to New Zealand and back along with this horrible hurricane nightmare has depleted your energy. Hopefully you can begin to catch up on the rest you need soon.

Sending love, hugs and best wishes. Stay safe and keep in touch when you're able.
@zinnia
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom