Hip pain question

Haha, no question sometimes it is me. Today wasn't too bad. I purposely stayed off my feet more, had lunch with my right hand man who I won't see again for about 8-9 weeks. He's out on vacation next week. So my last week at work for a bit will include an industry audit, without the guy I depend on. Tonight the pain is just annoying, not debilitating. Hopefully I can be smart enough to enjoy what is supposed to be a really nice weekend here in New England. Temps in the 60's and sunny! :)
 
@Chappyd Are you feeling better after your long hours on the shop floor this week? You only have 10 days to go and you'll finally get some relief. Hope you have everything all set with your dogs too.....my husband was funny, he sat down to "discuss" what their Mommy had to go through so they would understand. Actually I think they did! :) :-) (: Have a good and restful weekend!
 
I do hope you enjoy the weekend.:yes:
Spring is springing here...and I had my surgery in May so I was able to spend alot of my down time outdoors..sitting in the porch , soaking up some vitamin D.
I was glad I had it done in the spring as winter always makes me gloomy.
:SUNsmile:
 
I haven't seen anyone mention this as causing referred pain, but my doctor showed me on my x-rays that I have bone spurs on my hip, and the bone spurs press on the nerves. I have had total knee replacements in both legs, and was getting intense pain down the leg with the bad hip. It would radiate down my thigh, and even my knee would hurt. My whole leg would feel weak, and I was afraid that my knee replacement had given way, but it's fine. It is due to the bone spurs pressing on nerves, and also throwing everything out of whack due to trying to compensate for the pain so my walk has changed. THR scheduled for April 22.
 
Over the last couple of years it has become a lost art

My husband is a Aeronautical Engineer and now on the management side. So much is now done on computers and the true art of engineering is indeed lost. There is some scope for teaching the next generations because once our generation retires, it's gone. One of his favourite little sebbaticals was teaching hands on composites at a Technical College. Might give you some ideas...
 
There is nothing more than I would like to do than spend my time teaching young people who have the intuitive mechanical instinct and curiosity what I have learned over the years. I learned much from guys who I thought could do magic with metal and machinery many years ago. I would be humbled to pass on what I learned from them.
 
Thanks SE! I did something dumb over the weekend- I went to put some air in my tractor tire, and without thinking I kneeled down on the driveway on my left knee. Sunday & Monday I spent nursing a swollen left knee. It's better today, but I am still sitting here with ice on it. It should be OK be S-Day. It's happened before, and always settled back down after a few days. For some reason I just do things without thinking, like I am still young or something. The last couple of days I've been doing a lot of hobbling. Getting a little tense now as the day draws near....
 
I just saw your post on another thread about disappearing with your dog for a long walk. Keep that picture in your mind as you wait these last few days. I love packing a lunch and taking off on a (easy) hike and my favourite way to see a new place is to put some runners on and go get lost. It's all the little things that we usually take for granted that will feel like the biggest rewards. Even riding your tractor without pain will seem huge to you I am sure!
 
I totally get that; I'm still doing things without thinking about it until the pain sets in. Since you're a little active, it might be best to take it easy so you'll be in good shape for the surgery. Are you having left or right hip done? It is stressful when the surgery date nears. Everyone told me to just stay busy but that's hard to do when in reality it's hard to do anything when you have hip pain to start with. And I'm so sick of TV that I'm going to throw my walker through it when the recovery is all done! The pre-surgery jitters are normal and may be the worst part of entire process so hang in there. You'll be happy again before you know it!
 
The hip is the right. So with a bit of a bum knee I'm a sight to see getting around the shop. I couldn't agree more with what you are saying. I rarely sat down before this hip kicked into high gear. There really isn't much on TV, that's for sure. I liked to putter around the workshop, but that will be on the back burner for a while. There's always bonesmart!!
 
Fortunately sitting around will be a thing of the past for you soon. I would rather putter around anywhere but on my couch. It might get burned with the TV set. I shouldn't complain though because this 5 weeks has really flown by and I hope for the same in your recovery too!
 
Bonesmart indeed.:tada:
You can get encouragement, admonishments for overzealous behavior, empathy, and true life advice.
Cool out and don't do anything to sabotage this surgery.:no-fin:
First step to getting back to real life.:egypdance:
 
Ready to rock and roll? (might be with walker, at first:heehee:)

Try to have a good weekend...get out and get some Vitamin D:SUNsmile:
 
Ready to rock and roll? (might be with walker, at first:heehee:)

Try to have a good weekend...get out and get some Vitamin D:SUNsmile:
Haha, I have the walker at the ready and decorated nicely with some motorcycle sponsor stickers! It's supposed to be really nice here tomorrow, so I hope to get some deck time in. Having dinner with the kids tomorrow to celebrate my daughter's 30th Birthday early, cause I don't think I'll be ready by the 18th to go out :)

Now as for am I ready? Yes and no. Yes- I know I have to get this done in order to get my quality of life back, so that's a given. But... as a guy who has always had an insatiable desire and curiosity about how things work and go together, I find myself thinking about details a bit too much. (I label it a character flaw in cases like this)
It will be an adventure !
 
Yikes! Oh, and my left knee is back to almost 100%. I talked to my PT, and she said to have someone tug on my leg for about 15 seconds a couple of times. Felt an immediate improvement, and now is feeling good. No more excuses....
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom