BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Hip pain question

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Chappyd, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Chappyd

Chappyd junior member

United States United States
    I have a question about the hip pain. So today was pretty intense, probably my worst day to date. I'm sure many of you have it worse than me, I'm still working 40 hours a week, and getting through the day, and mostly the pain will set in after a busy period of time where I've been on my feet for a period of time, say 20-30 min. After I sit for another 20-30 min, I'm usually ok for a short bit once again. That's kinda how my days at work go. So today I was off, and I'm trying to get some things done around here now that spring is here and I only have a 3 weekends left to get some chores done. I guess I overdid it today.
    Anyway, I seem to get the pain in the hip first, then the thigh and knee join in, and sometimes my ankle is painful as well. When I mentioned it to my Dr., he said a bad hip joint shouldn't be the cause of any ankle pain.
    The Dr. had asked how my back was doing when I mentioned the ankle, and I think its fine. I had a laminectomy done in 2016. I was experiencing radiated pain down both legs when I arched my back. I have nothing like that, and really have had a pretty decent time of it since that op.
    I was wondering if any of you here have experienced pain in your ankle at the same time? It always starts in the hip and after walking with just the hip bothering me then the other joints chime in.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hoppy Nanny

Hoppy Nanny Sr Bonesmartie

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yes, had pain in the hip, thigh knee and down into the ankle & foot.... my osteo says it’s all referred pain from trying to walk comfortably so you change your gait to suit. I also had back pain & a bi lateral discectomy ... thst was a completely different pain...Since my THR’s these pains have gone. Wish you luck xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. SE Florida

SE Florida member

@Chappyd
    From my experience, I don't find this to be unusual. I had a horrible limp from my hip so I had to somehow adjust my gait so I could manage walking. The bad thing is that everything gets out of wack from that; the lower back, thigh, groin, knee and yes sometimes the ankle. I had times especially in bed at night where my toes would even go numb. And all of that was from my hip. That was before I had my surgery and everything now is trying to get back to normal or "re-setting" so to speak. You might want to try using ice on the painful areas for about 45 minutes a few times a day, using a towel or something as a barrier against your skin. You have about 2 weeks to go and hopefully it will go by quickly for you!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. skigirl

skigirl SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I think it is completely normal that as your gait deteriorates, the other joints have new stresses and they join in the protest as well. Hopefully they will settle down once your hip is replaced.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. SarahBee

SarahBee senior

@Chappyd Sometimes the pain is so ontense, I can't really tell where it begins and ends. I have had it radiate down my leg into my shins, so I don't think ankle is out of the question. Hang in there. It will all be but a memory soon.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Chappyd

Chappyd junior member

Thanks all for the replies. I definitely feel like I am out of whack for sure. A guy I work with, we'd walk every day at lunchtime about a mile and a half. I had to stop back in January, just couldn't do it anymore. I told him last week when I looked in the mirror I look like I've aged some in a short time, and he told me he agreed (thanks buddy!) , but what he really noticed was I don't walk the same, I'm a little more hunched over now. We'll be walking at lunch before too long I suspect! Well, by mid summer I hope. Hopefully the extra joint discomfort is just me compensating....

• Like Like x 1
  7. SE Florida

SE Florida member

Oh yes, the wonderful limp hunchback thing, how could I have forgotten that one! It makes you wonder how we manage to walk at all with that kind of pain. After my first THR, my boss thought I looked years younger. It's amazing what all of that pain and lack of sleep can do to the face; talk about stress lines, dark circles.......argh. After surgery when that pain is gone, the face relaxes again. :) :-) (:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Ariel

Ariel junior member

That sounds very familiar from my experience, I could not believe the pain in my shin could have anything to do with a wonky hip but after THR it disappeared.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I hadn't realized how hunched over I had become until people remarked on how straight and tall I walked after hip replacement. I also worked until my surgery date and had every manner of pain, including one of my feet. So I'd say there is a good possibility this hip fix may address lots of issues you are having.
    Will also be an important reason to take recovery slow and do short sessions of deliberate heel/toe walking once we are able to straighten up as retraining the muscles will also come with some soreness.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SE Florida

SE Florida member

That is so true @Mojo333 about the heel to toe walking. I read that recently on this forum and it literally helped me get moving again. I thought I was doomed to limp even after the surgery. The heel to toe technique made me stand up straight & tall again too. If it wasn't for finding this info on the forum, where would we get our answers....certainly not from our doctors!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. tollertwins

tollertwins member

I hurt down to my ankle, too...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chappyd

Chappyd junior member

Glad it's not just me... Today was a really bad day. Between getting a new machine at work and me wanting to stay away from the shop floor (aka day care center) I spent way too much time on my feet today, and now my back is as bad as the hip. Grrrr..........Hip surgery or 8+ weeks away from work, not sure which I'm looking forward to more! Just venting, pain makes me cranky sometimes...

• Like Like x 3
  13. SE Florida

SE Florida member

Too bad tomorrow isn't the weekend, you need to stay off of your feet for awhile. It won't be long for you now, try to rest and ice when you can!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Mojo333

I had to use heating pad...my lower back pain is where my hips had me feeling it the worst.
    Will be nice to heal away from the daily aggravations.
    Pain and lack of sleep had my tolerance level at ZERO!
    Keep the faith...not much longer @Chappyd

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Chappyd

Chappyd junior member

Yes it will. For about 38 years I was a Machinist, and very proud to be one. Machinists are able to take a drawing and a piece of metal, and create a tangible object that has value. Over the last couple of years it has become a lost art, and I have been pulled into managing others lured by money. I am seriously contemplating using my downtime not only to heal, but to consider other directions for the rest of my working years.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

I took time during my LTHR recovery to consider getting out of the "rat race". Came to the conclusion that life is too short to stay in a stress job. It's easy to get lured by the money. But not alway healthy.

Not long now!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Hoppy Nanny

I decided to retire just before my RTHR... I was an Estate Agent in London & so much running around, unsociable hours & loads of stress.... I’d gone through spinal bilateral discectomy & decompression & went back to work after 7 weeks.
    Decided it was now time to get out of that particular Rat Race & take care of myself... so glad it made me evaluate my life...

• Like Like x 2
  18. Chappyd

Chappyd junior member

You were lucky to be able to retire. I would also love to do that, but alas, I am not ready financially. On the bright side, my wife is retired so she will be able to help me during my initial recovery. I still need to make at least half of what I make now until SS kicks in at 67, so I have a few years yet to work. We have a little land, it would be nice to farm or have some animals, but I'm not sure that would work. Once retired, anything goes!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Hoppy Nanny

Sorry, didn’t take retirement age into account... I was 61 when I had my THR so was able to retire & get my pension in the next year... luckily my hubby was still at work..know how hard it must be to not have the choice

20. Mojo333

Getting this hip sorted and getting some time away will almost certainly give you the strength to get back to your craft with much more tolerance.
    Pain, lack of sleep, and annoying people make for an intolerable situation.:nah:
    I dealt with some real "winners" at my workplace and some lackadaisical board members that made my job extremely frustrating.:hairpulling:
    After my op, when I started to feel more normal, I wondered "Was it me?":shrug:
    Nope, it is them:yes:...but I'm better equipped to deal with what I need to as I have to pay my bills also.
    Just hope you'll be able to give that new forever hip all the time it will need to get well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1