Guest viewing is limited

THR Hip 2 on deck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have a concern tonight. My surgical leg has developed some big bright red splotches around my knee and inner thigh. I called the nurses station and she said she was more inclined to think a blood clot would be one hit splotch that really hurt, not several that don't really hurt.
My PT really worked that thigh over this morning and I have very fair skin, so I'm thinking that is probably it but I thought I'd check with the collective brain.
Also, can someone tell me how to change the title if this thread? I can't figure it out for the life of me.
Thanks!
Lynn the worry wart
 
No words of wisdom here but think you were totally right to check it out with the Nurse. Are you receiving Home Health Services? If you are then one of the Visiting Nurses could check out your leg. Or, and I've never done this but would do it in a heartbeat if I was worried about something, if you are "teched up" with your OS or Personal Physician you could send a picture. Thinking about you and hoping you get a good, healing night's sleep tonight.
 
Get it checked lass, yes link to hard PT is probable but probables dont sort things.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hey guys. Thanks for your replies and concerns.
After I talked to the nurse, I felt a bit better. I went to bed with ice on my leg, and I woke up around midnight with the red splotches gone. I think it was swelling in those areas and I often turn red from that. After radiation for my breast cancer, they thought I had cellulitis, but I was red from the swelling. I'm better this morning. Again, I so appreciate the caring help here.
Today is another slow day. I am feeling fine...got my shower taken and my stockings on. I think it's almost nap time.
And I chortled when @HollyB called @Legin a wise man...I added the old part to it. Chortle chortle
 
Tut and dbl tut. Really glad its ok.. other day i was told i had old timers.
Im actually impressed so far you are almost doing recovery thing properly.
 
@Legin I'llgive you properly right in your chortle, kind sir.

Good and sore tonight...every muscle is keening o loud you can hear it over the loch.mother is hovering and I'm losing my patience. Oxy is making me sweat...I'm a mess tonight. I'm going to sleep and hope to wake up to happier muscles.

Night all
 
Lynn at least you know you can have nights like this as all the soft tissue settles. Hope you are sleeping and pain free, or as best you can be.
See I can do nice. Well as long as you are behaving and slowing down.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I'm very settled down right now. I'm just a blob in the recliner right now with absolutely no plans to do anything. I think my mother would like me to move more, but I refuse. I'm exhausted and feeling punky and down so it's nap time.
Gentle hugs to all.
 
Well done for being a blob in the recliner! If your body needs it you must. First time round I was worried I would be a blob for ever. At least now you know "its just a phase". Your poor mum, she must think you will get better if you move around a lot (perceived wisdom!) when the opposite is so true. Keep well and be kind to yourself
Karen x
 
@copsham yes, even though we've done this before, both my mom and my husband believe that going out for walks cures all ills...even ills brought on by having you hip dislocated and re-hardwared. I must have made a groan in bed, and she asked me what hurt...I said, "my eyebrow, for heavens sake". Yes, I've hit frustration wall, and it's barely been a week. :doh:
Anyway, I saw the PT this morning, she massaged my very sore quads, and we discussed the groin muscle that is back to plague me with this hip like the last one. We are hoping that these things happen and resolve more quickly than last time. Let's keep fingers crossed.
It's been a week so I can take my fancy bandage off and get the steristrips wet now, too. No more extra careful water in the shower. Yee haw!
Hope everyone is healing well and set up for a comfortable weekend.
Lynn
 
@Jaycey Can you change my title to incision infection? Thanks. And if I can do it myself, refresh my memory. I can't seem to find the link.

So last night my mom noticed a little bubble at the top of my incision. This go around I was to take the big bandage off at a week instead of two weeks. I was seeing my PT this morning so we decided to see what Nikki said. Well, she said she didn't like the color of the discharge,so she called my surgeon. He was off today, and the dr on call was in surgery all day, so I went to the dr with called in information from my PT.
They took a lot of blood and cultured the area. The blood work came back fine, and the culture will come back in a day or so.
As Nikki said, it's very early and I should not fret. I'm taking cephalaxin for 10 days, and I'll call my surgeon tomorrow.
It's always something...but I'm getting around well, and have almost no pain.

Lynn
 
Whoa, Lynn. Pretty sure you didn't ask for an infection. But, aren't you lucky your Mom questioned it and your PT did a swift referral. Good for you for checking this out immediately -- I'm from the School of Better-Safe-Than-Sorry! If I were in your shoes I know it would be hard for me not to fret ; but, I've got to say that I think your PT is beyond special and I might go for the no-fret-stance if that is what she told me. Keep us posted and please know that I'm thinking of you Big Time!
 
I have changed your thread title for you. Glad you got ahead of the infection. You should be just fine!!!
 
@copsham I must have made a groan in bed, and she asked me what hurt...I said, "my eyebrow, for heavens sake".
Lynn

This made me laugh out loud! Can picture that scenario with your mum thinking "She is so sensitive!"

Re infection - I had an infection of the incision. It was so scary having read a million stories on Bonesmart re infections. It took me a while to realise that there is no connection between an incision infection and an infection of the actual joint. I had antibiotics for 10 days and at day seven decided they were not working but
@Nana moon 27 told me that in her experience the improvement often happens in the last few days of the course of antibiotics. Sure enough it was day 9 when the improvement kicked in.

It is scary to deal with and although you know you will be fine it is hard.
[Bonesmart.org] Hip 2 on deck!

x
 
-pulls Lynn off the ceiling. Im sure good old aunty b will do their job, it just one of those things, as you so well put considering what we are subjected to its amazing how little goes wrong. You will be fine and in no time be doing the sassy lady routine to those poor students

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@copsham thank you so much for your post. It made me feel much better. I talked to my surgeon's PA today, and she said he's comfortable with me seeing him at my regular appt on Friday unless anything at all changes. Then he'll have the cultures too, and he'll know more. He's sure, this close to surgery, that it's just a superficial infection. And yeah, my mom's a gem grrrrrrrr

@HollyB I'm also a better safe than sorry believer too. I'm ever so thankful for my marvelous physical therapist. I feel she goes above and beyond all of the time. I'm very lucky to have her and the relationship that I do with her. It's why I'm a huge fan of doctoring local because a lot of my health care workers are former students or parents of students. I get treated very well.

@Legin I'm not going back to harass the wee kids for a couple of weeks. I feel like I'm ready to go back now because I feel good and my leg almost feels like I didn't have surgery at all. I can almost walk normally without my walker.

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone. I'll keep you posted.
Lynn
 
@HollyB im doing well, actually. It's been a long week, though. I saw my surgeon on Friday, and he said he is 0% worried that I have an infection. What was seen as an infection is simply standard surgical "ooze" from the very top of my incision that opened up a small bit. I was really struggling with the antibiotics the er dr put me on because they were really causing me to be sick. So, no infection...just a scare.
My nerves are retiring right now so my thigh is on pins and needles. I went to acupuncture this morning, but I could only lie on the table for about 10 minutes. My surgical side started to really spasm and hurt. I think it helped, but I have to go smaller steps, I guess.
I'm only taking naproxen now, and I'm doing well on it. I managed to get in and out of my car today so I took it for a little spin. I really struggle with not being able to drive.
The dr released me for anything but bungee jumping, skydiving, baths and swimming.
This hip has been an entirely different experience than my other hip. At this point in my last hip, I still could barely get in and out of bed and I was so depressed. This time, the depression never set in, and I never had any significant pain issues. I hope your second hip, @HollyB, is as easy as mine was. I'm struggling with my psoas, but not as much as I did the first time.

@Jaycey could you please change the infection tag to the normal tag? Thanks a lot.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom