TKR Highlander's New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good results considering all your surgery trauma. You will see big improvements soon. I too am working hard to stretch my quads and get the left one firing properly again.
 
@Bikesouth Its quite the process- my quads too need waking up- not near as much swelling now though. I honestly think the tourniquet did as much damage to my quads as the surgery! :)
 
@highlander I had surgery on my hand under a local anesthetic, and the most uncomfortable part of the procedure was the pressure cuff on the upper arm. :holysheep:
 
Day 24. The sun is shining after two days of cold and snow squalls here. Its actually warm enough to go out and get some walking in! A gift from above! Self guided PT yesterday at the PT center and I slowly, with no resistance, did the Nu-step for 25 minutes. Love that thing. Didn't take ROM measurement, but it just feels a tad more limber, so thats all good. I'm starting not to ice quite as much before PT- and it seems to help by giving my quads a little more time to "warm up" - but still icing a ton after and into the evenings.

My wonderful wife helped me this am with a foot bath for both my scaly feet- we now call them- my talons. The compression socks and this whole process are tough on the feet! She then massaged shea butter/aloe stuff into both feet and it was incredible. The small things!
 
What a wife! I'd love a pedicure. My poor feet have been ignored for so long. I'll treat them to a pedicure before our big trip next month. It'll be hot where we're going so I'll be wearing sandals. At least my toes will be pretty if nothing else!
 
I do notice that my TKR side hip is really achey a lot after walking sessions, and it tends to ache into the night. Im assuming its from the new alignment and length/angles of my leg. Sure dont want to have a hip done later on :) Anyone else have this?
 
My hip ached after my TKR, but it wasn't from walking. Sitting so much in one position caused my hip and back to ache. I think our bodies have a lot to get used to after this surgery.
 
My leg was straightened when I had my TKR. That caused a change in my stride which annoyed my hip and back. A couple of visits to a chiropractor helped a lot and of course a new pair of good fitting footwear.
 
Both of my feet actually peeled. They were gross! Your wife was a saint for doing that for you!
 
Walked about 2/3 of a mile yesterday with cane for insurance. Nice level walking track. Joint feels good and smooth! No knee pain, just stiffness in flexion still in my quads. My hip and thigh muscles sure do get tired though. These are more sore than the knee as usual. Did my ROM exercises twice during the day and it seems to be loosening up with a more frequent (but focused) activity level. I try to stay off of it most of the day- just a couple slow walks, and the ROM exercises 3x per day. Then lots of RICE.

Today I walked twice- about 1/2 mile in the am and another 1/3 mile in the pm. Doing my back and forth pedaling on bike, and ROM sliders etc. Im hoping I am at 90 degrees tomorrow at PT center- sure feels like 90. Either way- it feels better the more I move it.

Actually slept about 6 hours straight last night. But man- Im tired of sleeping on my back!
I ordered some Zensah knee compression sleeves to wear. Ive noticed I really like the tube sleeve my PT gave me. It goes from ankle to thigh. I wear it most all day and take it off at night. Anyone else using these sleeves for comfort, and swelling control?
 
I am also wondering about compression sleeve. I try and sleep on my back but end up every other which way. That is probably why I am so sore in the morning!!!
 
@RMasano I actually read about that particular compression sleeve on an older thread here on BS. Here is their site, zensah.com Its like a security blanket to me and Ive read they help with circulation, healing etc. Ive tried to turn onto my side a couple times, and it doesn't really hurt, but it freaks me out a little bit when the joint kind of clunks. Maybe as my muscles tighten back up, it will quiet down! I hope you are feeling better and are having better days.
 
@highlander I am a little worried about sleeve because I still have some scabs that have not healed yet. I did look them up. I have dozens of sleeves from before surgery as my knee was a mess. I use a body pillow so I am on my side but it helps me not move a lot. I get a good 2 hours sleep and the rest of the night is moving to see where I can find some relief.
 
@RMasano I will keep trying the side sleep thing. When I sleep on my back I snore- so my wife is loving life. I use breath-rites and they help some. Side sleeping is my goal! I too have a couple rougher places in my incision- but I just put a couple steri-strips on them and then use my hand to ease the sleeve up over the incision- works good. I think they really help keep extra swelling at bay. I have a big collection of braces and sleeves too- but these just looked so breathable and comfortable- Im a sucker to buy them. My knee was also - well not really even close to a knee before. OS took almost an entire cup full of spurs off- one as big as a ping pong ball floating in the back of my knee. He said he wished the were gold pieces cause he could retire :) I will post my before xrays in the next few days - as soon as I get them from the imaging center- and freak everyone out :)
 
Blimey @highlander sounds like you really needed that TKR! Great progress. You will soon find yourself sleeping much better. I still really appreciate being able to sleep on either side or my front and for 7 or 8 hours at a time. I don't take that for granted though. I well remember those long nights stuck on my back and wide awake!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom