TKR Highlander's New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you are finding what is right for you!!! Keep up the good work.
 
A couple of questions for the bonesmart gang:

1) When did each of you try and do something different for sleeping position? Im fantasize about sleeping on my side :). I actually tried it a bit and it did not really hurt- just felt odd and my mind could not get comfortable enough for me to just go to sleep like that.

2) My PT prefers I stay on my walker another week (3 weeks?) as she says I have a more "quality" stride with it. I am completely bearing weight on it most of the time, but she wants the stride practice. How did most of you transition to the cane? I feel like I really want to ditch the walker although I understand her reasoning. Thanks!
 
I was onto canes at 2 weeks. PT was happy with heel toe stride.
 
I was on to canes at day 3 post op. Not allowed a walker after that. I had 2 canes for a week then down to one only. I only use one if I'm outside the house (since week 3).
 
Re sleep: I quite suddenly found I could sleep in almost any position by around week 6. It was wonderful and made all the difference!
 
I was able to sleep on my side at week 3-4, but just for a short time each night. I was able to cross my left leg over the top of my RTKR, so I was sleeping g on my right side. Some people are able to sleep on their side by placing a pillow between their legs.

I used a cane at week 2-3 because my bathroom was too small for the walker. I did use my walker as a means of getting in and out of my super high bed. The day I came home from rehab we realized I wasn't going to be able to climb into my bed. So my family got busy building a step, we placed the walker around the step so I could use the handles to step up. I walked much more naturally with a cane than with a walker. My posture was better, by gait longer and I had a free hand.
 
Thanks folks. I am starting to use cane some and will continue to take my walker to PT to "practice heel toe" I guess. I have to get a better cane. I inherited my mom's cane and it is pink with little red lady bonnets stenciled all over it. :)
 
Is your pretty pretty pink cane adjustable? A cane needs to be the right height for each individual to use it correctly.
 
Yes. My very boring NHS issue one was adjusted to suit my height. I find the moulded non slip handle very reassuring somehow. I guess its just plain well designed for its function rather than its looks.
 
Yes its adjustable- but the little red bonnets don't come off! I ordered a black one on amazon for a few bucks this morning.
 
I'm used a tennis grip over wrap on the handle of my cane. A little spray rustoleum could have changed your cane to a color of your choice!
 
I'm five days out and have spent 90% of my time in bed. My knee isn't too hot, but it is very stiff and sore. I am trying to get by with alternating Tylenol and Tramadol. Tomorrow is my first PT appointment and I plan on a very gentle approach. I forgot how much work recovery is!
 
@highlander I ordered my adjustable cane from Amazon.com after seeing somebody else use it at therapy. It feels very stable and I love it. Around
[Bonesmart.org] Highlander's New Knee
$25.
 
Day 19 today. Continuing to go to outpatient PT 3X per week and then doing my daily exercises as well. Not forcing anything but working for the "stretch" on the stiff stuff and ROM drills. Seems to be another breakthrough today as I went into PT and was very stiff, but by this evening I'm almost to 80 ROM! I was at 54 about 7 days ago.

Knee still starts out very stiff and tight feeling before every session- is there a point where it starts to limber up? Also- I swear my new knee/ leg feels an inch longer than my right leg! Its weirding me out a bit. Maybe my body is just readjusting? It feels like I need to be wearing an extra 1/2 inch of heel on my right foot :)

Fatigue is a big issue- just laying around icing, getting up for restroom, to grab the laptop, check emails etc a few times a day and then doing PT- lots of time on my backside. BORED to TEARS. My wife is a huge help- but then she's outside for a good part of day running our farm. I've lost 11 pounds in 19 days- maybe due to lackluster appetite, meds, and all my muscles not getting their usual work- and not being able to readily snack! All in all I guess its progress. I fantasize about 90 degrees and being able to spin my Greg Lemond stationary trainer around the crankset :)
 
If you had a valgus deformity before TKR your leg is now straighter so it may feel longer. The fatigue is due to energy drain which is different for everyone. The diagram in the link below is interesting. Once I started riding a bike it did loosen up my knee.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-tkrs.11953/
 
I also feel like my surgical knee is longer. It is not your imagination. My OS's nurse said the implant does make your leg longer especially because, like me, you had valgus. I find because my knee is straight it does seem longer. And like you, it is freaking me out too!!!! I am scared I will walk funny because one leg ends up longer than the other. I guess time will tell!!!
 
It's only a very small difference, although it feels big at first. Your body will soon adjust to it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom