TKR Highlander's New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
New shoes are always a great idea after knee replacement as your old ones have your old wear patterns. That can cause some problems in your body's balance once the knee is fixed. So, as soon as possible, replace all your shoes.....hey, an excuse to go shopping!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@BossK That would be my in hospital PT- at day 2 and 3 in hospital. However- My outpatient PT is awesome. She never pushes to a point of 'unnatural" pain. And by that, I mean, we do stretch out those muscles and tendons- but it is stretching pressure and slight uncomfortableness with it, nothing more. She is one who believes in little gains over time and patience- but lots of repetition- as long as we aren't getting undue swelling and pain in the joint. So its all good the last 3.5 weeks with her. Frequency of joint motion seems to work for me- if I go several hours laying around- it just stiffens. So every little session and every mile walked, seems to give me better overall limberness. I have to force myself sometimes- like just tonight- I was on the couch with leg up on ice- and knew I had been down about 90 minutes- very relaxed- but I made myself get up and do my home set of ROM exercises- and now feel better for it.
 
Well I traveled today a good distance for the first time. My wife drove me about 2.5 hours each way to a couple of business meetings I needed to attend. We loaded up the car with ice packs, pillows, meds, and went for it. I must say- I'm totally beat tonight. We stopped at least once an hour to walk and stretch a little at rest areas or gas stops. My knee is definitely a little angry and a touch more swollen. Its also a lot stiffer, since I did not get to elevate or do my exercises today. It let me know that at 5 weeks out- Im still not ready for regular travel for my sales job. My wife runs our farm full time, but I still have an IT sales career- and travel quite a bit in the car. It was a good eye opener- to see that I may still be a few weeks off from getting back to travel for my sales. Elevating now with ice- and really hoping I did not set myself back. Not much pain- just stiff!
 
I believe your set back is just a temporary thing. I usually had to rest a few days after a strenuous day. Then I was right back where I left myself. It's not a permanent thing. You will be fine.
 
Week 5 + 2 days. PT this am, we got to 98 degrees flex and 1 ext. Continuing all my ROM exercises plus Nu step 12 minutes, bike- 15 minutes, and have added strength training for quads etc now too- leg press machine with just 15 pounds to start, leg extension machine, hip ab/adductor machine as well. These felt good and we started with VERY light weight. Iced- napped- then took a one mile walk. PT is working on my incision now massaging to break up a few tough areas and also working on firm area above my kneecap and doing ultrasound. Now weaning off of Oxy- hopefully by this weekend I'll be done with it.
 
You may find that the night time dose of pain medications may be needed longer than the day time doses. Icing and elevating before bedtime will help too.
 
@newlybionic Yes I agree. The icing and elevating before bed do help a bunch. Im just getting so many weird side effects from the stuff, and my pain is not very high anymore- so i see my OS next week for my 6 week. And I hope to just be using tylenol by then. Ive only got about 10 Oxy 5/325s left. He also has me taking an anti- inflammatory- Meloxicam- not sure if its doing anything for me or not.
 
6 week check up went well. At 98 flex and 2 ext. going to keep gradually working on getting more ROM over next few months. But Im better than before surgery already. I know everyone says they had the "worst" knee. Well here's a great before and after shot of mine- my doc's worst 54 year old knee in a long time....amazing difference!
I forgot to get a side shot of all the marble sized spurs in back of joint- next appt!
[Bonesmart.org] Highlander's New Knee
 
Wow now that's a beaten up knee! You must have been in a lot of pain - you must feel like a new person!
 
What a difference! That before knee must have caused you agony.
 
Your before x-ray looks similar to my before. I see where the lower part of your leg is to the side (knock-knee). It was amazing to see the difference. I wish I would have taken a pic. I might e-mail them and ask them if they can e-mail me a pic. It has been a long road, but am so happy with the outcome and glad I did it. You are doing great. Keep up the good work.
 
7 weeks today. Update- needing zero pain medication now. Just no pain to really speak of anymore- very cool!
Continuing to add exercises and stretches to my program. Now spinning stationary bikes at least 45 minutes a day as well as strength training. The biking is really loosening up the band feeling dramatically. I bought a set of orthopedals- orthopedal.com that @Grammy211 turned me onto. These allow you to start riding any bike crankset by giving you adjustable settings for your pedals- so I have been using them about 2 weeks and have gone over 100 degrees in flex. Awesome product for us TKR folks.

Swelling is less with more spinning as well- seems to help work it out of the joint. I'm doing leg presses now, one leg step ups, leg extension and leg curl machines, walking a mile at a time, and using heat now on my quads some. Very big difference the past week in stiffness, and with almost no pain (other than normal tendon stretching pressure during exercises) Im sleeping better and on my side :)

My new leg is now about 3/8 inch longer than my old "good" leg- so I'm having to keep playing with shoe inserts to get my leg lengths close, so thats a little annoying. When barefoot, I feel like Im stepping up just a tad on new leg because its longer. Its always something isn't it?!
 
@highlander I'm so happy the orthopedal has worked well for you!! I wish I knew about it after my first tkr!

You are having an amazing recovery; I am very jealous of how long you're able to ride the stationary bike! I love my recumbent bike but if I ride more than 10 mins my knee is very angry the next day [emoji30]. And I must also confess I'm jealous that your pain is gone and you're off the pain meds. I'm working on getting off them but still take 1 Tramadol in the morning and sometimes need at night. But life is great and I love my new knee!

Keep up the great progress and enjoy that knee!!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Wow! Amazing before and after shots. Amazing recovery and amazing attitude to same. Just amazing and so encouraging - thank you for that!
 
Thanks guys- being proactive and finding the things that work for you- and not waiting for divine intervention are key in my humble opinion.
 
What an inspiring recovery! It sounds like your doing great! That before X-ray is ugly! The new knee has to be way better! Does your knee still clunk? Mine occasionally does that and it sure feels weird! I hope you feel better and stronger each passing day. You've motivated me to head on out to the fitness center and get on the bike....
 
@Red's Mom Just got back from the fitness center myself! My knee clunks ever so slightly occasionally- but no pain to the clunk. I think as I tighten and build the quads, hams, ligaments etc...it will feel very normal. Still challenged by ROM flex- at 103 or so. But not quite 8 weeks. I walked on it a lot yesterday and even have been doing quite a few farm chores. So all good right now. thanks!
 
It sounds like you're doing so good for 8 weeks! You'll be back to normal in no time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom