TKR Highlander's New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
@KarriB Yes that does sound like it. Mine may be a bit different in that mine seems more focused. Here is a pic of my incision taken Day 2. I have marked the area of my inner quad area that feels like a tight cable. I guess it could be from the soft tissue damage of being parallel to that big cut?? My OS had to create a much larger incision, as you can see,
[Bonesmart.org] Highlander's New Knee
in order to reach major spurs on the sides and even back of my knee. I had one spur on the back that was the size of a ping pong ball. He said they were numerous. The great thing is the joint itself, when I walk with walker and bear a little weight feels so smooth compared to before. So thats exciting.
 
It will get better, the first few weeks are the hardest and most painful. It always seemed a new strange pain would pop up, but the soft tissue takes such a hit from surgery it can take a full month for that swelling to go down. Just keep it up as much as possible and ice it.
 
You can tell everyone the doc sneezed making the incision. :lol: Hope my sense of humor doesn't bother anyone.

In pre op, just before OR BP was high, OS said may have to hold of. Then I asked him how "his BP would be if he was about to let somebody put in into a chemically induced coma, let some on else gas his knee open, use a hand full of construction tools, and insert some metal and plastic parts."

The team cracked up my BP dropped and I woke up with a new knee.

We need to keep the humor up. It is very healing.


01/24/17 LTKR, then RTKR
 
LOL yes- my wife and I have had some great laughs through this the last 10 days. It helps!
 
@highlander It's normal to worry but believe me, you will get better. I started very slow in getting some of that coveted ROM. It takes time but it will improve. I'm at 6 weeks and can already feel such a big difference compared to just 2 weeks ago. You really need to rest, ice and elevate as much as possible. It really does work! Best wishes for a good recovery!
 
You might try light heat on the muscle areas (not the knee itself).
 
Day 11- Last night was a bit of a setback. Maybe I let my pain meds slack off enough to where the pain got ahead again, but had a rougher night than the last 4 with pain getting up to the 6-7 range. I did get up on the walker more yesterday, and did more PT exercises- but nothing to the point of big pain. And my swelling still seems to be on the way down. My upper thigh actually aches deeply at times. Hoping that will go away soon. Oh well- taking it much easier today with RICE, and may not do any PT exercises at all today.
 
When do you get your staples out? That should help free you up for a little better flexation.

If you force a heel slide is it like you hit a wall or is it soreness & pain that stop you?
 
@highlander - "My upper thigh actually aches deeply " I have a major bruise upper inside thigh from the pressure cuff.

Never had a bruise like it before and it too aches.

How's your energy level. I feel like I am doing a constant marathon.


01/24/17 LTKR, then RTKR
 
@Bikesouth Its like it hits a wall- or more like I run out of slack on a rope. And that rope is my inner quad from just above my knee up into my inner thigh. If I really try and just crank through it- it just physically wont go there, and then the pain there is in the VMO quad and not my knee.

@mg5457 My energy level is also sapped. Just doing PT, walking to the bathroom, doing a few walker laps around house and then laying back down- it feels like I had an hour of exercise or something. Could also be all the opiates contributing to that as well!
 
The staples are on the other side of my leg and don't really seem to be a factor in that tightness at all.
 
It's the energy drain. I didn't know this and thought I had to build my stamina! After my 2nd surgery and stay in a transition unit I told my OT I needed to work on stamina. She had me use an hand bike, needless to say it didn't help build my stamina. I did give in and napped whenever I could. When I went back to teaching at 3 months I was exhausted after a half day.

Sleep or nap whenever you can, your body needs it.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-tkrs.11953/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
"Could be the opiates" I'm not on opiates and still feel like the marathon doesn't stop. When we think through what our bodies are going through it's no wander we're zapped.


01/24/17 LTKR, then RTKR
 
Day 12- Well PT was very good today. The ladies I am working with continue to be sensible. We did a host of exercises, but also started ultrasound treatment on my upper thigh and quad to help with the tightness and recovery. They are staying away from the joint with that wand- I didn't realize it was not a good thing due to the metal. We also are trying to promote flexion simply by hanging my leg over the PT table and letting gravity try to help with the stretch for counts of 60 seconds each. Very passive, but effective for the tight quad and thigh that seem to be holding me back. I have run out of Oxycodone and now only have my Tramadol/Tylenol combo. Im hoping that is going to do the job. I also have the valium they prescribed for muscle relaxer- anyone else use these for spasms?
 
@highlander I had the tourniquet issue. It was the worst part of my second total knee. It was excruciating and it forced me to follow the Bonesmart mantras to the letter. It affected my outer thigh and made it feel and look as big as a watermelon. I thought I was tough but that really hurt. Good news: it goes away spontaneously. Took me about 2 weeks I think.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@ highlander- I have used meditation with deep breathing to get through the roughest pain and spasms. The practice has been scientifically proven to reduce pain and improve healing. The deep breathing saturates the body with vital oxygen which is critical for the healing process.

Visualize yourself in hills outside of Steamboat in the early fall. Take in the scents, the sounds, the breeze and all the other things you experienced when hunting, all the while breathing as deep and complete as you can from the diaphragm.

Works for me.


01/24/17 LTKR, then RTKR
 
@mg5457 I will try it! my wife is a firm advocate of meditation as well. If only my leg would bend :)
 
@ highlander - Let your wife take you on a guided meditation. By your comment about hunting by Steamboat you are predisposed to get into meditation quite easily. One of the most important things is to breath deeply even in the midst of pain or spasm.

"If only my leg would bend". Hew I thought I was alone. Can't wait for mine to move again also.


01/24/17 LTKR, then RTKR
 
I wish I knew how to meditate!!! I heard that is excellent for anyone, surgery or not!!!
 
@RMasano Heres a cool app that gets you started headspace.com According to my wife- there is no wrong way. But this app is great.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom