THR Hi, Yearly update

Good to be back @SaraK you are right the stuff thats ben going on has focused me in many other directions still quite a bit to get through but then again doesn't everyone I don't think life was meant to be simple the older you get the more you realise that and to a degree accept it. I finished work last week had a few near misses with some sniffling and coughing patients but think I have a clear run to Friday now .Thanks for the light always good to know its there . I think I have mellowed over the past months so retribution won't be too bad .
Hope you have still got your dancing shoes on :flwrysmile:

Just leaving swing dancing lessons ;-)

Only 48 hours from now, Martin - @mcopt . On 11th May, I'll have the day off and will do some cycle training because I've got a triathlon on 3rd June. Will think of you while cycling along. Take care and good luck - Best wishes - Constanze

Hi @Constanze thanks for thoughts . Very impressed about triathlon have you done many before ? I was watching the London marathon a few weeks back snd it brought back memories of 21 years ago when I did it don't think I will again but you never know . Sorry I didn't get back to tou about the cataracts how are things going on with that ?

Hi Martin (@mcopt ), That's nice of you to reply so soon and thank you for your thoughts. Well, I had my eyes checked in April in an excellent ophthalmological centre in Rüsselsheim to confirm I've got cataract, and I do have it. They tested my eyes for other things such as macular degeneration, which, thank goodness for that, I haven't got, so they gave me the go-ahead for the cataract op. However, I've got this triathlon coming up, and the first 3 weeks in July we're going to England - yahoooo - mainly Devon and Cornwall, and seeing my husband's brother and sister near London on the way back. The ophthalmologist's assistant understood that and so she said I should just pop in when I'm back from England, and they would be able to give me an appointment as soon as possible - so I'll have the cataract op - probably later this year.
Meanwhile I've got new glasses and contact lenses. For that you just need to go to an optician in Germany, not an ophthalmologist, and that's ok for the time being - I can drive. But the glasses/contact lenses obviously doesn't correct the cataract so I will need to have that done eventually. My left eye has meanwhile deteriorated to -10 dioptrins (who says the myopia gets better with old age - haha). But another eye doctor I saw 6 years ago said there is a correlation - if you're quite shortsighted (I had -5 dioptrines), the cataract happens sooner than normally and cataract worsens the effect of myopia - that was new to me.
Talking about London marathon - I participated in it in 2010. In fact, I did 12 marathons in a life-time, 2 of them with my new hip. When I had the hip done in 2015, the general school of thought was still not running/jogging after hip replacement, but they have improved the artificial hips so much that they are very durable. You, too, could resume running if you wanted to. I did not ask my surgeon, whether I could run, but he is all in favour of exercise because he is an athlete himself. So, I just resumed running 13 weeks after surgery. I also tried for Frankfurt Ironman but my cycling was too slow and I got disqualified after swimming and 90 km cycling (it was probably my bad hip that was already giving me trouble). The triathlon I'm planning to participate in is a half-Ironman. It takes place in the Kraichgau Region near Heidelberg.
Good luck for your op
Constanze

@mcopt :wave:
You will be good to go slowwwly in July. Don't start making me stressed before you even get this done.:skep:
I honestly believe that you ARE going to feel 20 years younger and you so deserve to get back to riding. I've only been on short stints with BIL...so beautiful to ride in Spring!
Let this one heal up right...I know how ready you are too get on with it so once those horrid pain is gone, you are going to have a hard time keeping yourself patient.
No worries.
That's why I'm here :eyebrows:

Will be thinking of you Friday!:yes!:

Last edited:
Hopefully you're peacefully sleeping right now.
I was a wreck and even managed to sleep somehow the night before my surgery.
With it being your second, I hope the anxiety is minimal.
I'm praying tonite for your comfort and peace through all. You know how quickly the time will move.
We'll be thinking of you and awaiting your post.
Hugs to you....it's all going to be good! :prayer:
@mcopt

Thanks @Layla sleep a bit broken this evening have been feeling a little anxious its not just the surgery its anticipation of hoping this will work out the same as the right and that I might be able to get some sort of normal pain free life back in the near future. Your thoughts and prayers mean a lot to me :SUNsmile:

@mcopt
I'm sending a few prayers your way Martin. Hoping for a settled evening for you and smooth sailing tomorrow.
All systems are go right? So wonderful there were no hiccups with the schedule this time around
We are so ready to get pain free. Just a little bumpy hurdle for a couple weeks then
off you go, good things to look forward to by the end of the summer. :hog:
Report back here when you're ready -- we will be waiting!

@BeBe thank you, yeap all go have been paranoid past few weeks hoping nothing happens to delay unless you have been through this you can't understand how bad hips affect your whole life. Hope your recovery is coming along nicely.

Here you go again...and this is the final piece (peace) in your puzzle.
Know I am thinking of you and will be following your recovery closely.
By summers end, mcopt will be a new and improved version.
I sincerely hope this one is easy as a joint replacement can be.
Super supportive Mojo aimed across the pond.:yahoo:

I remember the frantic chase to get medical clearance with a new cardiac condition being diagnosed just before the first. The lead up to the second as too calm and the pathway clear of obstacles. I kept waiting and watching for the shoe to drop. But it didn't and you're in the home stretch as well. Relax, you've got this! The wait it over and soon you'll be on that path to a new life!

@mcopt good luck Martin for tomorrow! I will be thinking of you and hoping all goes well. There is no reason it won't as you have found the other one so easy! I agree with you about life. It certainly gets harder as you get older. Look forward to hearing your pre op story. Here is looking forward to a pain free future

Hi @Bevlah thanks its actually today just showered and off to hospital for midday prefered the earlier start I had last time can't even have a cup of tea now or even water that finished at 10 ! Just hope I am early on the list I did put a request in . Sorry you are still struggling really hope things take a turn soon for you :flwrysmile:

:wave: No, you're not seeing things :wave: little people are waving :wave:

Keep the drugs rolling, the sleep happening and the ice melting :ice:
We're thinking of you :friends:
@mcopt

Another Hippie friend waving while we wait! :wave::bored:

Good to see that your eyes and fingers are apparently working. I'll take the rating on my post as your thumb's up. :loll:

Yay! He's functioning! :happydance:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bob5677
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom