Guest viewing is limited

THR Hi there, wow what a trip this has been!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checking in on you . . . I'm still physically doing quite well -- holding my own with the head issues -- I've not had much time either to keep in touch with all ---

BUT - I did get back in the saddle on Mother's Day -- I just had to see if I could do it. My surgery was on left side and was throwing right leg over when realized I still had the familiar old incredible pain -- still

o i had to use the fence to get on the horse, it was so painful getting on, but once I was on i could barely stay on, I could not squeeze my knees and the pain was excruciating. i thought i was going to fall off. I knew right then and there that i was doing the right thing-

I used the riding block my husband had made ages ago. But I was in the saddle -- hoping I can get a little more ROM and/or injection scheduled for next week will make it not quite so painful.
I was also cleared to get back to gym but now need to make time in life again for that.

How are you? Back in the saddle? I think you were hoping for July but . . . I was surprised at 6 week check up that OS gave the go ahead.
 
@Me2
Hi there, pretty crazy busy right now. Finishing up a 5 year endeavor. Will be stressful until august.
I am so sorry that the old pain came back when you got on the horse Sheryl, any progress? Glad your back at the gym. I have been bad at making the time to keep up with my program everyday. I have not gotten back on the horse, my farrier was suppose to be here the 19th, but he canceled and I have not heard back. I was hoping to give it a try after my horse was shod, he has thin soles and it is rocky around here. We are suppose to move cows on the 6th, hopefully I can get the farrier out before then. I Intend to ride.

I am doing great, my quality of life has greatly improved. It's like I just turned the clock back. Last test is the horse. I don't see the OS until July. I have not seen the PT for weeks. I should go see her to see if I am on Track and to update my exercises. Spring is beautiful here, we had unusual moisture this winter and spring, so it is very green right now- won't last long. Beautiful riding weather....
 
Hello there,
Ok -I am 10 weeks post op (Anterior RTHR). I finally got back on the horse Friday, we had to move cows. Getting on and getting off was not bad. But it was sore when i was done. I can't tell if it is a muscle thing, or if the implant is not healed? I don't have the old pinching pain. that is a good thing. I rode for about 2 hours, lots of jogging, up and down little draws etc. but I am worried that 1) i got on too early or 2) i am always going have some pain. I am going to call the OS and go see the PT and ask for some exercises that will help with the soreness.

So other horse people out there, tell me your stories, what are realistic expectations?

cheers
[Bonesmart.org] Hi there, wow what a trip this has been!
 
Looking good @Lmflora !!! I can't believe you are up in the saddle already!! That is just amazing!!! We had quite a surgery...even though it doesn't seem like it was as major as we think.....it was MAJOR!! There are a lot of muscles that are still healing...they get sore!! It is SO hard to take it easy as it is summer and there is so much to do outside.....I am right with you wanting to get going!! You are doing GREAT though.

I had a tough week too and have been sore. From everything I have read and I even got told by my family doctor today that it is REALLY early and I have quite a bit of healing left!! I am just having a hard time being patient, but if it a matter of patience vs. problems.....I will LEARN to be patient!! I have really been hurting at the top of the leg/hip area muscle and my knee has also been bothering on the same side....enough that I took a pain pill on Friday and I hadn't been using those for several weeks. I have been taking it easy and it is getting better. I did some round baling hay this week and all the clutch work caused muscles on my new hip side to hurt. I couldn't figure it out at first, but then it dawned on me what I did. It also didn't help that a cow was trying to bunt me and I had to beat her off with my fist!!! I sure didn't plan on it, but I guess stuff can happen and those accidents are things I just didn't plan on....guess that's why they call them "accidents". I guess I told you that because accidents can happen with animals so BE CAREFUL!!!

Good for you up on that fine looking equine!!! Keep up the GREAT recovery!!!
 
Wow @Lmflora first time back on a horse and you dogged cows for two hours!?! no wonder you were sore....sounds like you simply over did it. (great picture by the way, you look awesome!) I bet your OS and PT will tell you not to worry, but like anything else, that you need to work you way back to extended horseback riding/working
 
I am going to print this out and show it to my OS, whose PA insists I not get on a horse again because I might fall! All I do is a little recreational riding here in the east, NOTHING remotely resembling what you working folks are doing! (I had an unforgettable riding-camping vacation in Wyoming decades ago, out of a ranch near Pinedale in the Wind River Range. The woman you're riding with reminds me of someone from then.)

BB
 
@Dieter and @Plumberbutt

You guys are probably right- I feel so good and am so pleased with the results that I am having a hard time remembering that it is early, even though I know my OS SAID that it takes more time-Rats!!!! Can't seem to square the day to day with the month to month. It is so nice and green here now, it is usually getting hot and dry by now, first wet spring in years. PERFECT RIDING WEATHER. I mowed the arena today, weeds are getting bad, need to get that worked up again, I will just take my time getting myself and my fat horse back into riding shape- slowly- But I won't try bare back till next year- going to give that one lots of time.

So..do you think I should still ride- short period of time-nice and easy like? Or should I just wait a while?

It was worth the pain though- getting away from being chained to the computer day in and day out was worth every wince.
Cheers and peace


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lmflora and @Plumberbutt and @ Dieter --- Ah found you all here! The picture is great --- My son's quarterhorse loves that "pose" too.

You've inspired me. I am going to try again. Don't know if I'll do a two hour ride but my "expensive titanium/ceramic" hip feels so good that I may just have to push the other one! It hurts from gardening anyway and that's not nearly as fun as riding. The weather here has been so perfect for riding -- not the usual humid June -- lots of rain, but it should be dry enough. Gotta get back in that saddle again!

@BoomerBabe -- I didn't have the surgery for a long time because there was no way I was going to do it and not be able to ride ever again. My OS seemed to have no problem with it -- only said that he wouldn't recommend running on pavement. I can live with that limitation!
 
@Me2. Glad to hear your doing well. Honestly I have not been back on, partly time constraints and partly I am letting some time heal. It was a little early to take a 2- hour ride. I have been riding my bike a lot. I put the horses on pasture for a couple of weeks, while I have grass and before it gets hot- I have company coming for a week and will try again after they leave, shorter easier rides. Cheers and peace


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom