Guest viewing is limited

THR Hi there, wow what a trip this has been!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plumberbutt, thanks for your response. I am still using a cane, my OS said to use it, especially if I am tired, and that the cane will help with keeping me from getting so tired. I can go without it let's say from the chair to the counter, but I pretty much use it all the time. I do live on the family ranch, but alas only get to play cowgirl once in a while. I have another life. After joining the forum, I think it is probably a good idea for me not to take the pain killers, as they mask the soreness as you indicated. Following my prescribed program suggest that I better be a little more attentive to what my body is saying. But I think I am doing good.

Sheryl, you know, I worked out a lot before hand also, I think it does help. My PT told me that a OS who came to talk at the practice I am associated with said the best thing for an anterior THR is a tall bike. As long as you can get on and off safely, it feels good to me, a little sore for the first few minutes but by 5 minutes it feels really good. with horses when they are injured we sometimes don't like to give them too many pain killers because a horse will then proceed to go on like nothing happened and hurt itself even more. For me not taking the pain killers is my insurance that I don't hurt myself more. I am sore, but it is not intolerable. I can still sleep!

Cheers and peace
Lynn
 
What do you mean by "tall bike"?
We have horses, too, and I guess that is where I'm coming from. I have no pain to stop me without "painkillers". So, should I stop even Celebrex to insure that I'm slowed down some to not hurt self?
On that note, did you have to give up riding pre-op? One of my top goals was to be able to ride again. Riding was one of the first things to go as it hurt so much to throw either leg over horse and get a good seat while horse did that little inevitable dance and then was just too totally painful to enjoy ride. I only trail/pleasure ride. :rolleyes: Are you and how soon are you planning to get back on the horse?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sheryl: a tall bike means a high seat so that i do not have to bend knees so tight, makes it a little harder to get on, but once on, I started the first day (this was at the PT facility) just rocking back and forth with the peddles, not actually making a full rotation. then the next time, (2 days later) i started to make the full rotation, and it felt really good once it warmed up.

I was able to ride with a saddle pre-op, but it hurt like the devil when i got on and the pain lingered for a long time when i got off. we had a lot of snow here (relatively speaking) this winter, and my brothers bulls got in over the cattle guard- i wanted to hop on the horse and push them back.. I have ridden bareback my whole life and never had a problem. so i had to use the fence to get on the horse, it was so painful getting on, but once I was on i could barely stay on, I could not squeeze my knees and the pain was excruciating. i thought i was going to fall off. I knew right then and there that i was doing the right thing- i had my doubts before, thinking i can handle the pain, lets wait till i am crawling along the floor type of attitude. part of my issue besides the arthritis was i had torn my labrum so i had that surprise pinch at unpredictable moments. but once it started to interfere with the thing i love most, it was a done deal. My OS told me that i would be back on the horse by the end of the summer. i guess that is why I am pushing to get that range of motion back.

i would never attempt to give advice about medication. i was given the opiates (side effects made me feel sick all the time) and tramadol, which i don't think really helped all that much. i am sore, but it is not horrible, like i said i can still sleep.
 
@Me2 I know exactly what @Lmflora is talking about. I USE to ride all the time when I was younger...used them on the farm especially with the cattle, also did the showing and trail riding, but liked riding our own farm better and enjoy the peace and quietness. You folks are tough as I still have to use the hydrocodone, I could do without, but I can move MUCH better with it, so instead of limping and using the cane as much...I use the meds. Keep up the great healing and be careful don't get too tempted to jump on that horse!!
 
welcome to Bone smart! @Lmflora you can push too hard (I know many of you will tell me this next month) Jane Fonda was full of it...you can have gain without pain.
@Me2 yes, that is another "saddle" I want to get back in!
 
"i would never attempt to give advice about medication." - No, not really looking for advice on medication, just rhetorical question on philosophy on when to take as you were mentioning with horses. We don't medicate too much as they will ignore they are hurt. Kind of my philosophy. I'm feeling no pain and only taking once a day Celebrex. My first physical therapist had me in tears (literally) that I was feeling so good and doing way too much and threatening permanent damage to implant. Met new one today, I'm now officially allowed to feel great and listen to own body on what I'm doing! In tears again that I feel so wonderful!
We bought our little farm ten years ago and I stopped really riding about 7 because I seemed to have lost my "seat" -- I think beginning of hip problems. Kept trying up through diagnosis in 2009 and final ride was a birthday ride in 2011. So good to be up but just couldn't sit right. As you know horses are expensive and only one son rides which doesn't get 3 horses out near often enough. New PT gave me first abduction/adduction exercise--I am so excited --- I didn't know I could do it! :happydance: One must be able to do it to "do it" whether in saddle or not! :heehee: My goal too is late summer/fall for riding but feeling so good I may just "do it." (@Dieter and @Plumberbutt) Not tonight - may be next week! :wink: Oh to be in the saddle again - always wanted to bareback but haven't since a kid.
 
@Lmflora .....Welcome to BS and congratulations on becoming a HIPPIE! I had BTHR 5 weeks post op as of tomorrow. My OS said I could do anything BUT horseback ride, get on a motorcycle and parachuting! So I wish you luck with getting back on the horse, but certainly would not rush it. I can't believe you are using exercise equipment, WOW I thought I was ahead of the game. Take care and don't rush it.
 
Sheryl, I am happy for you. What I learned from this forum so far is to listen to my body. If feels ok, do it. just do it wisely, a little at a time and try it out to see if it hurts, if it hurts I stop, but I also try again and try to go a tiny bit more. We are accustomed to some pain, we did not have a THR for the fun of it!, I don't have that torn labrum pinch anymore, YEAH!, a lot of the pain I feel now feels at times like the old pain. I trust it to get better. Too bad your first PT was trying to fit you into the same box. Everyone is going to move at their own pace. So much has to do with our age, condition before, our general activity level. Before I got on this forum, I really thought I was being a slacker by not doing my exercises 3x a day, and only riding the bike 2x instead of 3x.! Today I could ever so slowly bring my leg up far enough that I could get my toes into the sock, had to use the reacher to get the rest of the way, it felt tight, a bit sore, but ok.

Way too long not to ride, 2011, bummer for you. I really hope you get back on his year. I know we can ride again. Our brand inspector had a THR, I don't know if anterior or posterior, but he gathers cows and ropes at the brandings, he has to use the side of the trailer to get on, but he is going. He is a lot shorter than I am, I think I will be able to get on regular, as long as I can swing my right leg over.

Congrats on being given some control back to you. You will love how that bike feels after you loosen up. It feels sooo good. Also, I use a heating pad to wrap around my butt and thigh to warm up my muscles before I start any exercise, then I use it again after I stretch a bit. Feels wonderful.

Thanks Roseanne- I wish I was 5 weeks postop, I am doing what my OS and PT have prescribed, and I think it works for me. I see the PT tomorrow. My OS said I should never run again, play basketball, any thing that is "jarring", everything else is open game, provided I do it wisely and carefully, also he suggested I don't take on learning any new sports (like parachuting).
Cheers and peace
Lynn
 
Get after it @Me2 somebody better warn the horse...it might be a rough ride...Yippee-ky-ae! or better yet....Hippee Ky Ae
 
@Lmflora Hello and glad you found us!! I will have to agree with others before me that 2 weeks is too soon to slow or stop the pain meds. Along with all of the PT you are doing, it is no wonder of the pain you are in. The Bonesmart way is if it hurts, don't do it or allow it to be done to you. Also ice is your best friend, and helps with pain control. Be sure to read the articles that Jamie sent you. They are a wealth of information and will help make this experience more tolerable. Be sure to keep us posted on how you are doing.
 
Hello, I saw the PT today and we chatted a bit about the more aggressive vs. the slow and easy approach. we agreed that if it hurts STOP, but if it doesn't then go for it-just do it slow, and don't be afraid to challenge yourself. the best part of my day is sitting on that high seated bike (low resistance) and feeling the warmth and loosening occur in my hip. The only concern she had about the elliptical, other than if it hurt ( then STOP), was that I could get safely on and off. ours has side rails of a sort which makes it perfect to get on and off. I am sore, but I am not in intolerable pain. it gets better everyday, and i can sleep fine. I was really sore today, because I went in the grocery store with my husband after PT and I probably should have stayed in the car. walking around the store and parking lot was just a tad too much. i came home and rested. the articles Jamie posted are great. especially the energy drain stuff. I just don't have the endurance right now. I can get through the PT, but when I sit down to the computer to get some work done, I am tired.
Peace
 
Met with PT again today and gave me some new exercises, went for a walk with the little ones, and even to bank and little grocery run. Going to see OS on Monday and hoping restrictions removed. If I can drive, I'm going to ask about heading to gym for bike and swimming. I do think it would feel great for my body and mind. :yahoo:
:console2:Still a little miffed at first PT but even more so at myself for letting her do the head trip on me. But, I do have control back and can't change the past, only learn for future.
:friends:Thanks for the words of wisdom. So in keeping with my own thoughts and reminding me of how my body and mind work. I am back on track! :yahoo:
@Dieter - Both of my "mounts" have been duly warned and are waiting with bated breath for me to get back in the saddle! Yippee-ky-ae! and a....Hippee Ky Ae too!
 
Met with the OS today, he said at 3 weeks I am where his 6 weeks post ops are! And another small victory, I can bend down and tie my shoes! I am feeling good. The PT added some more exercises, and I won't see her again except to check in every 2 weeks to adjust my program and add exercises. OS said there is a good chance I will be back on the horse in July! Learned a lesson about rolling over onto the surgical side, not a good thing to do yet, that was an ouch!

I am so thankful that I did this. It was scary, and I really expected the entire thing to take so much longer than it did. But I am getting my life back, and it is going to be so much better than it was before!

Here's to my OS- thank you sir.
 
Hi Lynn, that's great about tying your shoes. woohoo!
Horseback riding for you in July sounds great! Onward and upward!
 
@Lmflora........just a suggestion that I tried as an experiment and am still using it. I don't know if you have fluffy or firm pillows, but this is what I did........king size pillow not fluffy (mine was a well used one) place it where your butt will be on the bed then lay on the surgical side. I am a side sleeper so and having both done I was miserable just trying to sleep on my back so by week 2 1/2 I was side sleeping again. I don't know if it is the extra padding or what, but I have had luck with this, good luck. Hope you will be riding by July on a gentle horse.
 
Roseann, did you use the pillow to prop you up on your side or did you use the pillow to elevate your butt? I am a side sleeper, and I miss being able to roll over on to my other side.
 
@Lmflora.........just kind of imagine it as extra cushion. You look smaller then me so you might get away with a smaller pillow. I found this out by just putting part of the pillow on that side I was laying on, but then when I turned over there wasn't the extra cushion. SO comes in the king size pillow that is why I said put it where your butt is when you are laying flat on your back so that way when you roll over to either side you have cushion, I have just gotten used to it by now. Experiment, I hope it works for you. It made my nights so much better! Good luck!
 
Thanks, I get it. I think I have a pillow that might work. I will give it a try!
Cheers
Lynn
 
Lynn........hoping for the best.......let me know. We might be onto something earth shattering!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom