Hi I'm new here but I brought brownies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And shoes....i have a pair of soft leather ones, with a wide velcro strap across. Red leather... an obsession from childhood. My mum couldn't get me to wear any other colour. I'm stubborn. Anyway, shoes that slip on, close easily and change if your feet swell. x
 
Mamarey, i was told not to use my recliner. But it's sooo comfy. Maybe the water bed advice is just if you have staples in, so you don't pop it! :wink:
 
Audball thanks for shoe advice :) Red I can do LOL.
Postage--- let's see, first class airfare:wink: :yes: .... make no mistake, she IS an old lady. But she really does all this stuff! And sleeps like a baby, to hear her tell it. When she was my age, she was living deep in the mountains of West Virginia, building a house from scratch with my dad. They did everything by hand except pour concrete and dig the septic tank. *He* was the one with the bad hip!
 
It sounds like nothing holds her back. That is a lesson on living. Someone i work with, her mum had dementia, and when her mum died ,she says it was reason to live life to the full as you just never know what's next.
I spent half of last year barely able to walk and wanting to be normal, this year.... new hip....new attitude! I'm going to be ok and so will we all. x
 
Mamarey right hip. Together we'll make a pair! I'm in a tizzy here about who's going to sleep in whose bed!! :gaah: There's one bed in storage, but it's been there almost 3 years, and I kinda think I'll throw it away rather than sleep on it, don'tcha know. Son, coming home from school for good on day 10, will sleep in his, which is too hard for me. Hubby's bed too hard. Couch infested with cats, and miles from the bathroom! Maybe gonna have to move the couch... or get some memory foam as a topper for a too hard bed? And I don't even think I get Hip School!
 
Audball Hubby's mother, 89, has dementia. She is still at home, but with 24-hr care...we would like to move in with her, but she's not going to quit smoking at this late date-- it's been tried...:skep:
 
Well i'll take you're mum.... but can i leave hubby's, it's hard enough running after Jamie who's four! lol
 
Audball ok, she'd love love love to go to Scotland!! Mo-in-law is on a walker, so even I can keep up with her. Barely. LOL Is Jamie your youngest? I remember 4... nice age if you can get them to hold still for a minute.
 
Yep Jamie is the youngest, he knows i can't catch him, at the moment. But i have a grandaughter at 5 and 8 month grandson. Kaos when my daughter visits and my 7 and 8 year old start to play up.
 
Suppose i better get to bed. Night all, hope everyone has sweet dreams and comfy hips. X
Aud
 
My oldest is 23, then after her my son is nearly 18.... then a big gap and three shot out close together. lol.....So a new hip was a rest, first time in years i've left a hospital without a wrapped up baby... No sleepless nights through crying.... well, not someone else crying anyway! Ha ha
 
Hi Chris,

I'll try for a few of your questions...

1. On the shoes, I like Keens as well and the ones that you showed look like they'd be great since they are slip-on. I wore slip on Birkenstocks too. You will want something that is new enough not to have a gigantic, old wear pattern from your old hip but not so new that you are breaking them in and being uncomfortable. I did not experience any swelling in my feet and you might not either.

2. Water bed... I'd suggest that you kick someone out of their bed for a few weeks. My son slept on the couch and I used his twin bed and room for a while. You'll want to be stable while in bed and getting into and out of bed, plus there may be times at odd hours that you want to read or need to get up and take a walk around the house and you'll be less disruptive in your own room. For seating around the house, you can add a bit of height/cushioning to a chair or two that you use with something like a patio chair cushion or two. I also use this little wedge cushion in the hard dining room chair.

3. Pedal machine = nah, your treadmill is ok for some point later after you've healed up some and aren't loopy from medications. If you get some PT after a few months maybe you'll do a little exercise bike warm-up there. In the beginning weeks you will have tiny little exercises to do once or twice a day and walking around your house and maybe little walks outdoors to the mailbox and back, or up and down the driveway.

4. Pain management is pretty sophisticated nowadays, they have come to realize that a comfy patient gets out of the hospital more quickly and recovers more easily!! I was a zero on the pain scale for the 3 days in the hospital and you should strive for that as well -- if you have any discomfort you tell the nurses and insist they speak with your OS if a change needs to be made. All the docs have different protocols for how they handle post-op meds and you should speak directly with your OS to find out his plan and convey your prior experiences so that they are taken in to account ahead of time. You may find your meds need to be tweaked a bit upon the return home and don't feel shy to have someone call the on-call OS and prescribe something different if you are not comfortable at home!!!!!! Plus, get your 3 or 4 ice packs ahead of time and keep them in the freezer.

Whew, there you go!!:)
Take care,
Cardie
 
C Mac Wow Cardie, thank you!!!!!!
1. shoes-- I bought the Keens last summer, and they're not too worn, I don't think. I love them-- they cover my ugly toes (the whole point) and breathe to keep nasty athlete's foot under control. I'm glad that you didn't say, "you must must must wear lace-up shoes for stability!"!!

2. bed/chairs-- I will take that under advisement. Son is 22 and autistic, and we'll be having enough stress with him having just come back from 4 months of independence at a vocational school, 10 days me post-op. He will need his room for family stability. Guess Mr ZF and I will have to trade beds... we'll see. Maybe I move the couch from the sunroom to the "bedroom section" of the house, which would give me the living room as a bedroom, the piano (LOL) and only 30 feet and 3 corners to my bathroom. I have wonderful custom cut 5" high firm foam cushions for chairs-- had to make one for work nearly 15 years ago, and not for arthritis, either! Now I carry it with me to every gig :yes:

3.glad I don't have to buy yet another exercise piece of equipment :)

4. Meds-- thanks for that advice! And, zero pain level??!? WOW! Even before arthritis I wasn't a zero since I was 25!!!!!! I wouldn't know zero if it jumped on me!! Looking forward to that... In my long-ago experience in the hospital, the trip from telling the nurse I need something different, to actual doctor change in medication, can take 24 hours. It would be nice if that has changed in the past 14 years!

5. as long as you are being so generous with your time, where exactly am I going to ice?? I have drug store re-freezable ice packs, 3 of them, and I thought I'd make up something a PT 20 years ago used-- gallon (or quart, I suppose!) zip lock freezer bags with water frozen with rubbing alcohol in them. They're bigger, and floppy/squishy. (And they make your whole kitchen stink!) So, where am I going to put all this coldness? Over the incision I presume, and maybe all around the hip?

Again, thank you soooo much!!!!! chris
 
Wrap ice in a thin towel and sit it at the swelling and incision and it feels great. I used it on my knee. It was where it hurt the most. X
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom