Hi I'm new here but I brought brownies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow @zauberflote, I want to be like her too!!!
 
Yesterday's Wall Street Journal print edition had this article which I found online as well. Just thought it interesting that it should show up when I am "in the market"!
https://tinyurl.com/adm3tj7 or if you want the long version, haha, here it is:
https://online.wsj.com/article/SB10...074.html?KEYWORDS=surgical+patients+infection

Last night I ran across Josephine 's link to a "your dr and hosp ratings" site, which was very helpful! I need to work my way through the library, one letter at a time. I'm almost done with the "B"'s.... chris
 
After walkagainV's postponement:sad: for possible allergies yesterday, I though I'd better come up with a list of possible issues for myself to check out. So-- so far I have discovered that I need to have that little skin lesion on my nose done before they'll give me a hip. I was able to find a dermatologist in my provider network who can take me Friday morning, and his scheduler said that he would most likely do something about it then!:) Let us hope that all my eczema here and there will not be an issue. Is anyone aware of other potential reasons for postponement?
 
Thank you zauberflöte for the link to that article about hospital infection. I just went through pre-op today and they did not do a nasal swab or ask me to shower with any kind of special soap. Does any know if those 2 things standard protocol? I'm surprised & a little nervous they didn't do this! I may call tomorrow and inquire.
 
I had a nasal swab also a groin swab at my preop last week.
 
I also has nasal and groin swabs taken at my preop
 
I know about the nasal swab--had one, but what is the groin swab for?
 
They swab in both areas and in any abnormal skin sites according to the leaflet I was given
 
It's amazing the different protocols. I didn't have swabs, and only showered the morning of surgery with a special sponge filled with I'm not sure what, some antibacterial stuff? I did wake up from surgery with my entire leg (and part of the good one) painted bright pink!
 
Teacat you're welcome :) Now I'm going to have to go back to that website that "rates" your dr/hospital and see if what I remember is correct-- that the hospital I'm using is bad in # of post-op infections...:yikes:
My brother lives in Atlanta, and I was born there!! :)
 
I had the swabs too, nose and nether regions. One lot at the pre op health check and again on the day of the op. I was told to shower using anti bacterial soap on the day of the op too.
Barbara
 
I will be getting a nasal swab as well as having to wash with the special soap for three days prior to surgery
 
Yesterday's Wall Street Journal print edition had this article which I found online as well. Just thought it interesting that it should show up when I am "in the market"!
https://tinyurl.com/adm3tj7 or if you want the long version, haha, here it is:
https://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324582804578348391752991074.html?KEYWORDS=surgical patients infection
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. :)

I'm sure you and a few others were worried after reading that article. You can ask your doctor what his protocols are for MRSA and you can also ask the folks at the hospital you will be at about their rates of infection in general and for the joint replacement unit and also about their protocols. Sometimes things are done that you may be unaware of as a patient including IV antibiotics after surgery and the various topical cleaning methods prior to the start of surgery while you are sleeping.

You can do the antibiotic ointment in the nasal passages on your own. My hospital recommended twice daily for 3 days prior to the surgery. They did not swab anything at my hospital, they just assume *everyone* is infected and do pro-active treatment.

Try not to worry too much about other issues that might cause a cancellation of your surgery. Try to think of the things that you will want and need at home to be comfy and occupied between naps and snacks.

Take care,
Cardie
 
C Mac Thanks for all the reassurance! :) I see your OS is in NoVA--my hospital is one of the Bon Secours network, in Hampton Roads, and while I haven't re-checked yet, I think this one was rated worse than average in number of infections...
I have a colleague who survived MRSA after 2 relapses and months in the hospital, and a friend who died suddenly of it out of the blue. Sorta nervous-making, you know? I will definitely ask these questions. I am learning so much so fast here!
 
Ok folks, question time!
1. What does anybody recommend as "recovery shoes" for somebody who just cannot wear athletic shoes or any that lace up at all. Painful over the instep. These I own for my regular summer shoes:
https://www.zappos.com/keen-whisper-slide They are very stable and non-skid, but notice they are true slides. And they don't have much room for extra swelling of feet. Has anybody used Crocs? The clog-with-a-back-strap kind? Those are fairly cheap, and I could buy up a size? I also am comfortable going barefoot.
2. Anybody with anterior approach have a water bed, and how was it? I can imagine that it would be quite a challenge for a while...but there are no unused beds in the house, and the sofa is only a maybe at this point. I have no chair I can sleep in, and can't afford one either :sigh: Don't want to rent a recliner due to allergies/dust/general creepiness of used upholstered stuff!
3. There were 2 more, but I forgot them. I will remember them as soon as I leave the computer LOL. So I will post this before my session times out due to inactivity. :wink: Thanks in advance! chris
 
ZF your mum sounds AMAZING! Can i have the brownies AND your mum? That would be great thanks! X.... how much you reckon for postage?
Aud.
 
memory like a (rusty) steel trap.........
3a. I read the info about having a pedaler machine, if you can't get a bike. I have a treadmill at home-- should I get the pedal thingie too?
4. Pain meds. I've read @Josephine's chart, and heard people say that modern pain management is 21st century. I had a, sorry I have to use this :rotfl: , "hysterical rectum" (thanks Jo!!!!!) in 1989 at age 37. First I was on morphine self-administered. I had to plead with staff to tell me how often per hour the thing dispensed, so that I could stretch it out. I was under a gray cloud and the pain was quite there. My dad hallucinated on morphine. I longed for codeine. Got it somewhere on 3rd day. I think it was Tylenol3. Rx said "1-2 every 4 hours". One was almost enough and 2 was too much, and whichever I chose it wore off at 3 hours. They wouldn't let me have 1 every 3 hours or an extra 1/2 at the third hour.... when I went home I cheated big time and managed my own pain my own way, and was much more satisfied. No overdosing on acetaminophen was involved. Should I be telling doctors this?
Thanks again! chris
 
I was told at my hip class, that water beds are not to be used...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom