BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Here We Go Again!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Barbaraj, Jul 16, 2019.

1. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Great update @Barbaraj I think you. Should have showed him one example about how. To iron and then stood over him armed with a Grasshopper in your hand and gently encouraged his efforts. At least he wants to iron!

I am with @Debru4on this one!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

United States United States
    Early days @Barbaraj It does get exasperating. Got a good chuckle with all the ironing dialogue. Own one, never use. I’m glad you got to spend time with your son. Around here, lots of 24 year olds still live at home. Seems pretty impressive that he is off on his own! Lol. Amazing how much times have changed. I moved out the week after I graduated from college. Everyone did then. Dark ages I guess. Hope you have a good day. Bet next week you will see hope at the end of the recovery tunnel.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Yes, @Jaycey, Santa COULD bring my son an iron and ironing board for Christmas this year but he'd probably be as enthused with that as I would be if my husband dared give me a vacuum cleaner for my birthday! He only comes over to ask for assistance with ironing if he's got to look uber-presentable for an event so it's not like I'm having to do ironing duty regularly. I did way too much ironing when I was married to my first husband as I ironed all his dratted work shirts. When I got married to my current husband I said I was never going to do that again and he reassured me that all of his work shirts would continue to go to the dry cleaner. I only iron occasionally, mostly linen napkins from dinner parties (and ironing linen is very satisfying--and no snarky comments please as I realize I'm weird for enjoying that!) When I occasionally buy new clothes, I always look first at the price and secondly at the washing instructions. Gotta be wash and wear!

And, yes, @Debru4 and @Fit4Family, ironing his shirts and a pair of pants is a small price to pay for a visit from my son. He was in a very good mood yesterday, happy and chatty which is always pleasant. I love not having him live with us (love all our kids, but adore empty nesting far more) but nothing more pleasant than a cheerful visit from one of 'em. And at least he does his own laundry! I loved your "forgetting" to sort clothes, @mainegirl, so your daughter ended up with pink laundry--clever you, never having to do her laundry again!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Okay, hip report: as this is a HIP forum and not a child raising forum (although I'm sure all mamas out there could spend hours chatting on that topic!) I am happy to report I'm feeling a bit better today although the incision area feels quite itchy this morning. I think I remember reading somewhere that if you're itching that's a good sign but can't remember why that might be. Anyway, it's annoying but this too shall pass.

I did get down to the library park yesterday afternoon and walked six boring circuits of the park, so fitness tracker once again hit a new high! I felt good afterwards, a bit more limber and no ill effects. I did come home and ice afterwards and then last night I forgot to take my before bedtime dose of extra strength Tylenol. Instead I once again fell asleep watching TV in bed. So, over 24 hours with no medication--another milestone! But not feeling any worse for wear this morning--woo, hoo--just the usual morning stiffness/soreness that usually dissipates to a dull roar once I'm up and moving about more. I'm going to get in my car and drive today! I'm off to Costco for a few things, and also Home Depot, fortunately both in the same shopping complex. Husband is off to the gym and then his office this morning and I'm bored and realizing that, as today's the end of week 3 and it's my left hip, there is no reason I can't drive myself. Freedom and independence await!

• Like Like x 8
  5. linette333

linette333 senior

A great report @Barbaraj ! Driving again - good for you! There is nothing like the feeling of independence of being able to finally take yourself where you want to go. Definitely a milestone! :thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

Ok, this line: “Freedom and independent await!”
    Where is the standing ovation emoji when you need it ?!?!

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  7. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

Ironing is the devils work and I do it about once a year I think :heehee:

Fantastic that you are out in your car today ! I am very jealous but extremely pleased for you to be regaining your independence. Also no pain meds for 24 hours, another milestone ! Lovely

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Wet washrag and rumpled clothes in dryer with dryer sheet retired my ironing days.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. mikeycat

mikeycat senior

Canada Canada
    Great report and going to Costco at 3 weeks post op woohoo and driving. Still haven't done that but now have to have surgery for carpal tunnel. Must feel so liberating and a greats sense of accomplishment and no meds-way to go Barbaraj.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Good morning, all. Moving a wee bit slow this morning, and some stabbing pains in the top of my thigh as I'm sitting here responding to various forum posts and sending out a few morning emails. I need to get up shortly and start moving around as I've discovered sitting for too long invariably produces a general stiffening all over and I look like a crabbed, hunched over old lady when I first stand and take that first step or two. But, I have discovered that standing up slowly, straightening up my body (tummy in, shoulders back, chin up) and then walking with an (faux) air of confidence, no matter how I'm feeling, generally results in a smooth gait within a half dozen steps.

Wednesday was a busy day, starting out with driving to the park--woo, hoo, on my own, and walking three laps. Then it was off to Home Depot for some spray paint, and then Costco where EVERY disabled person in the area was already there and parked in the handicapped parking spots so I had to park way out in the hinterlands of the parking lot. Wasn't too bad walking from my car to the store, but when I got out and was pushing a heavily laden shopping cart to the car--ouf, that was a bit tough. But I survived. And my darling baby brother came over and made dinner that night--macaroni and cheese, a green bean Caesar salad, with adorable little pots du crème, thick, silky and chocolatey, to die for good! I do love my brother, especially when he's feeding me.

Of course, by the time I went to bed on Wednesday night I was aching all over and took a Tramadol, first time in the last week. But I needed to be drugged to get to sleep and did sleep pretty well. Yesterday we had friends over for a barbecue dinner, dining outside fortunately, so easy buffet serving and sitting at our outdoor table. Folks were good about leaving by 8:30 and after cleaning up the kitchen and retiring to bed, I again fell asleep quickly, once again forgetting to take any medication. I slept okay with only one pee break around 2:30 but got back to sleep pretty well.

Today is a "lounge about and do nothing day" but tonight we've got family game night at my daughter's house. I will be firmly eyeballing my dear husband when we arrive, and reminding him that we are getting out of there around 9 or 9:30 at the latest. It will be great to see our kids, and the grandkids, but my stamina in the evening isn't very good and spending time with my fiercely competitive children, while fun, can be exhausting.

Completion of week 4 lies ahead and big excitement for the end of that is the permanent removal of these hideous compression stockings. It wasn't so bad yesterday and today, and presumably tomorrow when--hallelujah--rain is predicted, but on a hot, muggy day they are truly awful and my legs itch like mad. I wish I were more of a rebel and could feel good about rippin' these suckers off but I am usually a rule follower and so they will stay until next Wednesday morning when I will peel them off with a glorious sigh of relief.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  11. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

You are doing brilliantly and your method for getting rid of stiffness when you get up from sitting is spot on! Keep on clenching your butt muscles :)

Have a peaceful day and evening!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. J-nice

J-nice member

Wow! You are doing great! I’m so jealous you have family around you! My daughter lives in Scotland. Long way from Miami! She did come to help out for about a month after surgery. I do miss her! My surgeon didn’t have me wear those awful compression stockings.. thank god. Not sure why some surgeons require and some do not.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Fiona444

Fiona444 senior

What a wonderful update @Barbaraj. Normality is snapping at your heels! I think you are acing this recovery. I don’t think i would have been as diligent as you if I had to wear the stockings though!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

It's raining this morning, and I'm LOVING this weather! Feels cool and so much more comfortable to start my day off. My husband and a few of our kids are going to a brew fest this afternoon so I do hope the rain ends by then as it's an outdoor event. I will have the grands this afternoon for a few hours while everyone is tossing back beer tastes, and if the rain is gone I may drive the kidlets down to the library park to play on the playground there. Otherwise if it's pouring I'm going to be a BAD grandma and plant them in front of the TV to watch videos. I will remind them that today isn't a fun and active grandma day, it's hip recovering, don't hurl yourself at me (ouch!) and be gentle with me grandma day!

I ended up skipping family game night today. Despite doing basically nothing all day yesterday--I was such a major slug--I was tired and grumpy by day's end. We went out for dinner and I had one measly cocktail but that helped to really push me over the edge--I was relaxed and weary after that. So, sent husband off when we got home and then changed into night clothes by 7:00 last night and crawled into bed to read and watch TV. I slept pretty well, although lower back was sore this morning (stupid back sleeping!) but as usual the ache and stiffness eased a bit once I got up and got moving.

And, yes, @J-nice and @Fiona444 these compression stockings are the pits and I'd love to ditch them, like yesterday! They are prescribed for all patients in my surgeon's practice, I think, or maybe it's just the "old" patients like me. But this coming Wednesday I will ripping them off and flinging them away. It is interesting how these kinds of practices vary among surgeons. But at least I didn't have to give myself daily blood thinner shots (read about that on other posts and truly shuddered at that prospect) or get forced into PT on day 2 of recovery! So, it could be worse, I know.

Still schlepping around in my bathrobe this morning, I really NEED to change into daytime attire shortly. I also need to steel myself for the kidlets this afternoon, and greeting them at the door in my bathrobe with hair sticking out at right angles would not be a good idea! I am sure my daughter would be anxious about leaving her babies with me if that happened. Here's to a great day!

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Calgal

Calgal senior

Soooo understand your early evening tiredness! It stuck with me for a long time, even after I was up and out and looked 'normal' I would just crash at some totally unpredictable time of the evening. Sometimes 9, sometimes 7! The energy drain still bites me even now at 11 weeks. You know what to do to take care of yourself. Jammie time is always soooo nice! :roseshwr:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Calgal

Calgal senior

This sounds interesting. Got the recipe? Addendum update: found a recipe on Google. Whatever did we do before Google and Amazon?

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  17. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

I so enjoy these previews-of-coming-attractions :). It seems easy to imagine as you describe it - variable energy, mood, and symptoms, interspersed with short stretches of return to real life. Perhaps you aren’t as active as you will be in another month or three or more, but you certainly don’t have to sit out all the fun! I really appreciate the balance I see here, and am making a note for future reference. It’s helpful for me to think, “This may or may not be me at X weeks along the way, but it’s a pleasant stage of recovery. All is not yet back to normal, but life will still be quite enjoyable.”

I am also so happy for you, because I know that each small step towards that active, productive and sociable life will bring you relief and happiness. You were so close after hip #1 to regaining your freedom from pain and limitation, and you absorbed your very reasonable disappointment over the demise of hip #2 with grace and grit. Now, I like to think the real finish line is appearing on your horizon, and your deferred reward for patience and perseverance is drawing closer every day.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Calgal

Calgal senior

@Ptarmigan 's command of the English language is on par with @Barbaraj ! You both have an amazing way to communicate reality in a profound, thought provoking and hilarious style! Thanks to both of you for summarizing this whole incredible hip pre and post experience so poetically. You give many people hope and smiles. :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fit4Family

Fit4Family graduate

Great to read your updates @Barbaraj

Hope you had a fun day with your grandchildren, but not too much fun that they left you weary. :sleep:

You are so thoughtful to continue to check on others when you are so early in your own recovery. Your thoughtfulness is appreciated. Hope those TEDs meet their end soon. I’m impressed at what a great patient you are. Hope you had a lovely Saturday.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

Those bee sting injections are not missed by me I can assure you! Hate TEDs but those injections. Ugh! I got used to them but glad that is all over!

I have a vision of you as “Bad Gran” plonking the kids in front of cartoons and sitting back with a grasshopper in one hand and a very big bag of brownies in the other! Knowing you though you are probably “on the floor” building playdens out of blankets and tables with a feather in your hair and getting under the table with the kids...... but maybe not!

Hope the weather is good and you got them to the park :)

• Funny Funny x 5