BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Here we go again

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Ruamac, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Ruamac

Ruamac junior member

Ireland Ireland
    Hi, everyone! I hope you are all well. I backed away from the forum a couple of months ago because I was worried about my recovery and was having a hard time dealing with all the love and sympathy I was receiving on here. Weird, I know. Sorry about that.

So, my right hip is doing pretty well. I had my 12-week assessment last week and my surgeon is pretty happy with how things are progressing with it. The left one, which I had replaced last June, isn't just as good because I have bursitis in it. I was glad to finally get that diagnosis because it has been worrying me for quite a while. Now at least I know what to do to help it recover. Rest, massage, exercise, heat and ice.

My biggest worry, however, was the nerve damage that had been caused by the spinal injection. I had read that it usually clears up within a few months but there is also the possibility of it being permanent and progressive. I was very scared! When I asked about it on here @Mojo333 had suggested it could by meralgia parasthetica, and the main symptoms - intense burning on the outer side of the thigh, pins and needles, numbness - were certainly consistent with that. However, none of the possible causes applied to me; I only had problems when I was lying on my back - wonderful for a hip replacement patient!- and I had excruciating electric shock pain shooting down the inside of my leg from groin to knee. I had also begun to have symptoms in my lower right leg, foot, and right hand. That said, just thinking of the possibility of it actually being meralgia parasthetica gave me hope because it is a temporary condition. So, thanks so much for that, Mojo!

Perhaps I have some strange hybrid of MP that has weirdly mutating symptoms. It honestly wouldn't surprise me because I always seem to be in that group of people that is the exception to the rule. I blame it on my blood group which is AB positive and only 3% of the population have it. When I was diagnosed with Helicobacter Pylori I was told that 3% of the population don't respond to the therapy. Yeah, guess what. I didn't respond to the therapy. A few years later I was diagnosed, by biopsy of the small intestine, with coeliac disease. I then had a blood test for it and it came back negative. My gastro-enterologist told me that this blood test produces a false negative in 3% of the population. Why wasn't I surprised? And, of course, having coeliac disease puts me in the 1% category. So, it figures that I would have a mutant, sci-fi-type nerve disease.

I hope, after reading this you will notice that I've been talking in the past tense. After a few weeks the electric shocks began to decrease in intensity and frequency, eventually disappearing altogether. Then the pins and needles, and the burning also began to decrease. They're now so mild that they don't bother me at all. The numbness is still there but, trust me, having the ability to feel one's own thigh is highly over-rated!

I treated the burning - which didn't actually feel hot to the touch - with a cool pack but I haven't had to use that for weeks now. I still have little bursts of pain in my left thigh, and in my lower, right leg, and in my right hand. It feels as if I've been stabbed with about twenty needles, but the pain literally lasts for a second and it only occurs in very small areas. People do look at me strangely in the supermarket when I suddenly cry out but that's nothing new. I always get static build-up from the trolleys and sometimes it's so strong that other shoppers look round, wondering what that loud, cracking noise was.

I've just been for physio this morning, not on my hips, but on my shoulders and neck. Years of pushing myself up from chairs and toilets because my hips couldn't manage on their own has taken it's toll. I've damaged my rotator cuffs but my physiotherapist is confident that they will heal with exercise, massage, and heat and ice therapy.

So, there you have it. I'd like to say I'm good as new but, alas, I'm not. However, I am progressing and all my concerns have been allayed. I know it will take a while to heal the bursa and rotator cuffs but I have plenty of time. Hopefully!

Lots of love to everyone and many thanks for your kindness and support.

Rua xx

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    :wave: @Ruamac
    So glad to see you in the forum!:happydance:
    Wow :umm: for defying all odds in the worst of ways for health issues...but I'm glad to hear you have gotten some reprieve from the horrid symptoms you have had.
    I will be praying all continues to improve...and sending all the best mojo your way.
    Keep the faith, friend!:friends:

3. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    What a story! I am very happy you checked in. I was only thinking of you yesterday. You sound very strong both mentally and physically and should be very proud of your willingness to fight back. I remember you finding any attention here hard to deal with but do keep posting please! You never know who you might be helping.
    There is a April 3rd THR having just a few of your symptoms and I am sure she will benefit from your very positive post! @Fairydell
    Hope I haven't confused threads!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Scarab

Scarab junior member

@Ruamac, It is great to hear from you. What a strange run of symptoms, and thankfully you are moving beyond them. Welcome back, and it is great to hear of your progress.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:Hi @Ruamac
    Happy Three Month Anniversary to Lefty!
    Great to hear from you. It's nice to know things are settling somewhat.
    May it only get better.
    Wishing you a wonderful week! :)

• Agree Agree x 1