THR Here we go again

Yes, @Debru4 it is very nice that so many people are watching out for me on this forum. Everyone is so generous with their thoughts and advice.
 
Day 5 - Although, if counting from the day of surgery it's Day 6 but this is how it was counted in the hospital.

Last night I timed myself and found out that it takes eight minutes and forty seconds for me to get out of bed, use the commode at the side of the bed, and get settled back in again. Not that I'm trying to speed it up each time but I just felt it would be useful to have some sort of comparison so that I can actually notice small improvements.

Up till now I haven't done any exercise except for walking around the house. In the morning I fill a small backpack with all my needs - phone, laptop, book, crocheting, medication, water bottle, grabber, etc. It's good to know that I have everything on hand and won't need to either ask someone to get something for me, or make an unneccessary journey to get it myself. I think we all know that feeling of just sitting down and then remembering something we absolutely can't live without. So we have to struggle out of the chair and make the long journey to the other side of the room to retrieve it. Or, if we remember something we would quite like to have close by but it's not absolutely necessary, we decide to forgo it, but then have a less than perfect time without our book/phone/sketchpad.

This morning I did a bit of light babysitting while my daughter was teaching one of her music students. Usually my granddaughter wouldn't be here today but childcare arrangements changed at the last minute so I stepped, or rather shuffled in. I didn't have any running around to do so it wasn't a problem. All I had to do was be the voice of Bear, while my granddaughter was the voice of Masha. Masha, however, is a very annoying character because she keeps going places where she gets stuck and has to be rescued by Bear. If I were her mother I'd definitely place a tighter rein on her activities.

After that my best friend came to visit. It was lovely to see her but, by the time she was gone, I felt worn out. And that is where I am at at the minute. It's hard to believe that an hour spent in the company of a well-behaved 3yr.old, plus another of chatting with someone who knows you almost better than you know yourself, can be so tiring. But so it is. I'm off for a nap now. I was advised at the hospital to have three one-hour naps daily and I'm trying to stick to that regime.

Zzzzzzzzz
 
Feeling exhausted with visitors in the early days of recovery seems to be a common complaint.
I turned a few visitors down after I realized this myself. You feel bad but if you don't have it in you, it's difficult to soldier through.

The Confusion Arrousal was something new to me. I'm sorry you have to deal with that but it sounds like you've mastered getting through those episodes. You had a pretty active morning, babysitting and all. I hope you get your naps in and have a great week as you begin healing.
@Ruamac
 
Day 6

Last night wasn't good. I had an 'upset stomach' for want of a worse description, and spent much of my time hopping in and out of bed to get to the toilet. Luckily I remembered I had some loperamide, so I took that, but it did take a while to work. However, because it interacts with opiods, I wasn't able to take any MST, Sevredol, or codeine. Thus I spent most of the night in pain. What was interesting, I suppose, is that I had a lot of pain on my operative side in both my knee and back which has probably been masked by my meds. I'm assuming this is because of the physicality of the surgery and will pass with time.

In spite of a painful, sleepless night, I feel that I've had a good day. It's not easy to fit in an hour-long nap three times a day but I did manage one. I've iced and elevated and taken short walks around the house every hour or so. And I do feel that I'm making progress. I've noticed that my steps are longer and walking is less painful. Today, for the first time, I prepared some food for myself. It was just washing and cutting up strawberries for a snack, and reheating some curry and rice for lunch, but it's a start. Plus, it's the most I've eaten since before my surgery. Up till now all I've managed was a piece of toast and a few spoonfuls of mashed potato. Not exactly nourishing, so it's nice to feel that my appetite is returning.

Today I feel hopeful.
 
Sorry for your unpleasant night. It's good that you are already turning that around. I hope tonight will be better.
 
Oh ugh! Horrible timing for GI issues! Hopefully you will be on target for a much better sleep tonight!

Good job on getting something to eat on your own!
 
Each of those little milestones does give us hope. So glad you are able to see that as you recover. Each day has challenges as you have discovered----but oh, how wonderful to have that old, bad hip gone, and a new one in place! :happydance:
 
Hi, I'm sorry you had a rough time last night. It's good to hear you were feeling better today.

I don't understand the three, one hour naps daily. I hoped I'd sleep more during recovery as I'm not a napper, never have been. Well, I didn't become one during recovery either to my dismay. How does one take three, one hour naps, if not tired? It's good you managed to fit one in. Also wonderful you're noticing progress with walking and feeling less pain. The meal you prepped for yourself is great at only 6 days post op. Good for you!

It's difficult to eat if you're not hungry but ideally you could use some protein. Peruse the list below and see if anything appeals to you, even as a snack. Grazing is better than not eating and protein is beneficial for healing.

Nuts
Trail Mix
Turkey roll ups (cheese or veggies rolled inside the turkey)
Greek Yogurt
Cottage Cheese
Hard Boiled Eggs
Tuna
Veggies & Hummus
Peanut Butter and Apple
Peanut Butter on Celery
Cheese Slices
Beef Sticks
Protein Bars
Protein Shakes
Canned Salmon on Crackers
Edamame
Chicken Salad
No Bake Energy Bites (many online recipes)

I hope you have a great rest of the week!
@Ruamac
 
Great list @Layla for anyone recovering from an illness, surgery, or injury. It also is a good one in general for healthy snack ideas---thanks for sharing:)
 
Day 7

Thanks, everyone. Unfortunately, after a good day yesterday and actually being able to eat a bit of normal food, I had another bad night last night and today has not been good. However, I phoned my GP and got some new meds so I am hopeful that I'll feel better soon.

@Layla - thank you for taking the time to write a list. All your suggestions are very nutritious and would probably do me the world of good. However, everything and anything with the slightest hint of flavour is making me feel nauseous at present so eating them would be counterproductive. For now I'm just trying to get calories into me. Once I feel a bit better I can think about healthier options. Oh, I did manage a Fruit Corner yoghurt today so that's a start.

Regarding the naps - I'm assuming that they also encompass elevation. So if you can manage a nap while you're elevating, so much the better. The way things have been for me I've just found it difficult to actually be off my feet for an hour at a time. I do fall asleep at the drop of a hat, though. Hopefully, if my stomach settles, things will get easier.

Meanwhile, even with the gastros, I feel that my hip is making tiny improvements every day. In spite of not having an ideal Week 1, I still feel very optimistic about my recovery.
 
Aww, I'm so sorry. What a disappointment to feel like you've turned a corner and then realize you haven't.
It will get better. And your right, the yogurt is a great start.
Thankfully you're feeling optimistic. It's all temporary. I'll bet you'll be surprised a week from now looking back.
Get lots of rest and stay hydrated. I hope you feel better soon.
Hugs :console2:
@Ruamac
 
I feel so bad for you! I always find having anything on top of my hip and leg pain just a lot to cope with an quite a downer but yes, it will pass and the sooner the better! A few doses of yogurt a day will help balance the bacteria in your gut.

Feel better very soon! :flwrysmile:
 
Nausea is a nightmare---I hope you have gotten it under control. When I am nauseous, 100% of my thoughts and energy are focused on that, and it's pretty darn hard to think about anything else! :gaah:

In terms of the naps, I'd say to rest as often as possible, and definitely to let yourself sleep if you want/need to, however long you can. Setting one hour limits or mandates seems stressful. I agree with you, that the key is to rest--to elevate and ice, as well as to move around often enough to slowly build up your strength and mobility.

Hope you are feeling better soon!!
 
Day 8

Thanks, friends. Yes, nausea is all-absorbing and I find it much harder to deal with than pain. It's seems to be much more difficult to distract yourself from it. However, the new meds are working wonders and I had a good night.

I'm sure the thing of mandating three-hour naps is really just saying to make sure you lie down for at least three periods per day. It's easy to be tempted to do too much, especially if we're feeling well. So it's good to have a kind of benchmark to aim at. I don't think it means I shouldn't rest for longer than that, or that I have to sleep for exactly sixty minutes. Personally, it's good for me to have a reminder that I've been up for too long. Having said that, the sickness medication tends to promote napping.

Today I'm starting a more structured schedule of exercise. When I got up this morning I spent some time pottering in my room, tidying up, and getting organised. One of the benefits of dropping things all the time is that you automatically have an in-built exercise programme of having to pick things up again. This, of course, is not always easy and can involve many extra steps - in both senses of the word - to retrieve the items. Therefore, 'pottering' and 'tidying' can take on a whole, new meaning.

After that I had some berries for breakfast, then went for a five-minute walk around the house. Today I'm planning on doing that every two hours, to see how things go. I'm sure most people would be well able for that on Day 8, and I'm also aware that the recommendation is longer than 5-10 minutes but because
1) I have had so many days of sickness since my surgery
2) I still haven't fully recovered from my first THR
my physical ability has become very limited. Hopefully I'll be able to work at building my strength and stamina and will soon be much more mobile.

So, my goal for this week is to work on feeling better, getting my appetite back, and building my strength through gentle exercise.
 
Gosh - that sounds like a lot of activity. When you say you are puttering and tidying up, are you using your walker? That sounds strenuous to me.
I think you must not be nauseous anymore, since you are now so active. Hurrah!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom