BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Here we go again

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Ruamac, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Ruamac

Ruamac junior member

Ireland Ireland
    In an hour's time - at midnight - a staff member will bring me a light snack before I start fasting for my op. I'm third on the list tomorrow for a RTHR. I had my left hip replaced last June and am hoping that tomorrow is the beginning of the end where pain and immobility are concerned.

I'm nervous. I don't know which is worse - fear of the unknown, or fear of the known. But I certainly know what I'm letting myself in for and I am nervous. That said, a spinal injection with sedation is definitely the way to go.

One thing I am anxious about is midnight bathroom runs. My husband was with me last time and was very helpful when it came to getting in and out of bed, and going to the loo, those first couple of weeks. But he's away at present so I'll have to manage alone. We had to make a decision between him being here now but leaving in two weeks time, or waiting for a few weeks and being here to drive me around when I feel more like getting out. It seemed like a sensible decision at the time but now I'm wondering. Too late. I'll just have to make the best of things.

I'm hoping that I'll feel well enough tomorrow evening to write a post-op update.

Best wishes to all,

Rua

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

United States United States
    I understand your apprehension....were you part of this forum/support group for your first surgery?

I had 9 years between my back surgery and my hip replacement.....long enough to forget some of the negatives, and to mainly remember how helpful the surgery was in terms of my quality of life. I don't know if I'd have felt as positively if I had just had a major surgery a few months before.

Wishing you the best of luck as you go through your surgery, and your recovery. You've got this!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Best of luck with your surgery and recovery! If you feel overwhelmed at home, ask friends for help as I am sure you would do the same for them. Hope you get some decent sleep tonight!
    :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  4. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

All the best!
    Here are the recovery guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Activity progression for THRs
    Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Last one and done!
    Bye bye hip pain.:egypdance:
    All the best...you've got this!:friends:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi there, :hi:
    Hope you're resting comfortably.
    Onto the healing part. No more hip pain :yay:
    Let us know how you're doing when you're feeling up to it.
    Wishing you comfort as you begin to heal.
    @Ruamac

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Mojo333

Hi Rua.
    Hope you are doing well and are comfortable...as possible for these early days:umm:
    Have you gone home?

Sending healing wishes your way and do pop in and let us know how recovery is treating you!:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Ruamac

Ruamac junior member

Ireland Ireland
    Hi, everyone,

Thanks for the good wishes! I came home yesterday - Day 2 - and finally got some sleep. I'll update when I feel more human.

Rua xx

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Layla

Yay for home! :yay:
    No place like it for some uninterrupted sleep.
    I hope you're resting comfortably and have a peaceful first weekend back home.
    We'll be here when you feel like updating.
    @Ruamac

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Ruamac

Ruamac junior member

Ireland Ireland
    I woke, feeling disorientated, (don't worry, it happens regularly), so called my husband, who is away for work at present. My left leg felt weird but he told me that I had had surgery on my right leg and that the left one was numb. That helped me get my bearings and reminded me about the numbness on the outside of my right thigh. Does anyone know if this could have been caused by lying on it during surgery?

Now that I was awake I might as well pee. Besides, I had dropped my water bottle earlier and needed to pick it up. I managed to slide myself out of bed without the help of another person or my crutch. This is only the second time I was able to do this. I also managed to get back into bed unaided, which, as we all know, is probably one of the most difficult thing a post-hippy will have to deal with. I was very pleased with my little bit of progress and, as sleep had gone, decided to report it here. I am, of course, aware that it might all be due to hitting the sweet-spot of my medication but, hey, it's progress nonetheless.

Yes, @Debru4 - I was a member of the forum previously but I didn't discover it till a month after surgery so didn't get full advantage of it. Hopefully, this time, I'll be able to get to know everyone a lot better and feel part of the community.

I just fell asleep writing this so I suppose that's a sign that I need to settle down again. I just can't seem to stay awake for more than fifteen minutes. Five minutes sometimes!

Rua xx

11. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Rua...sounds like you are needing lots of rest and since you just had your surgery you should listen to your body. :sleep:

Do be careful if you are taking strong pain meds and trying to get around on your own...I assume you are using your walker or crutches for support? Drugs can cause a lot of light or foggy headedness, and a fall would not be good!

Do you have someone stopping in to help or check on you while your husband is working? It sounds like you are doing great for this early stage!

I also am enjoying getting to know some of the other fellow “hippies”!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Mojo333

These early days are certainly jarring.:unsure:
    But you sound like you are working it out..seems like everything we wants to drop on the floor!
    All temporary...as you know.
    Last Hip:tada: right?

Healing hugs coming your way!:loveshwr:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Bionic

Bionic post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Ruamac
    Its amazing how much we can do for ourselves if we have no other option isn't it?
    I think the bathroom run is frightening. There is a temptation not to go because we think we can't manage but that means that when we do go we are more desperate and want to try to rush it.
    As @Mojo333 has said, everything wants to end up on the floor. It makes us realise just how many things we drop on a daily basis and take it for granted that we just pick them up.
    Just take things slowly when you are on your own and I am sure you will be fine.
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hope your day is going smoothly and you are not in too much discomfort.
    I used to fall asleep mid sentence with my 1st surgery according to my family. :)
    When does your husband get home?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Ruamac Your body is using all your energy to heal. Sleep when you can. Sending you healing vibes!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. EL11

EL11 senior

Both of my thighs still feel a bit numb and/or tender on the outside. Someone was discussing this phenomenon recently and I seem to remember a reference to the bursae, but isn't a bursa at one's joints? Anyway, the right side is less so (that's the hip that was done in July). The numbness/tenderness goes about 2/3 of the way to my knee. It's a little peculiar but one of those things I'd be fine with indefinitely, really. I also get a small shooting pain in that area on either side from time to time.

Well done on your progress, and congratulations on having the other hip done. I'm so glad I did both, and close together. It's tricky still to have arthritis on one side. Just past the 4-month park for the LTHR, I starting being able to sleep an extra hour, and walk as fast as I used to when a young lass. It's the greatest :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Layla

Please be careful in these very early days. I'm not fully understanding you feeling disoriented and mentioning it happens all the time. Are you meaning only now, while on post op narcotics?

I'm worried about you falling if you're getting in and out of bed and up and down off chairs unassisted at only 4 days post op today. Also, do you have a Grabber? It does seem like we're a bit more clumsy and tend to drop things more often while in recovery. I'm not sure what I would have done without my Grabber. Invaluable!
    I hope you have a restful day. Stay in touch, we're here for you.
    @Ruamac

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Ruamac

Ruamac junior member

Ireland Ireland
    Hi, everyone! Thanks for all your comments, good wishes, and advice.

@Bionic - yes, the dropping things is frustrating. Unfortunately I was dropping things long before either of my surgeries and often wondered why, for someone who has so much trouble picking things up, this should be the case. Very unfair!

Yes, @Layla I do have a grabber. I honestly don't know how I'd manage without it. Except, of course, on those occasions when I drop it and/or my crutches and I'm left wondering how on earth I'm going to manage to retrieve even one of them. Somehow, though, we manage.

@Carriemay - haha, yes, falling asleep mid-sentence! Although the way my thoughts are rambling at present I think it's the other person who is more likely to fall asleep from boredom! But, it is frustrating and yet rather lovely to be given permission to just nod off anytime, any place. I will absolutely be taking your advice, @Jaycey and sleeping at every available opportunity.

@EL11 - I realise that my report about numbness was confused and confusing. It's my non-operative side I have numbness on and I don't know if this is normal. It starts at my hip and goes to my knee, on the outside. I only noticed it on maybe Day 3 and am wondering if it was caused by lying on that side during surgery.

@Layla - I'm sorry I've caused you concern about being disorientated. What I meant was that I often wake up not knowing where I am. Usually my husband is wakened by me crying out and he reassures me and calms me down. If he's away from home I call him, as I did the other night. I never try to get out of bed. I just lie there till either my husband has calmed or, in the rare event he's not available, I begin to get my bearings. It's called Confusion Arousal and is weird, and can be a bit frightening at the time, but it's relatively harmless. Well, in my case it is. I think some people can have more severe forms of it so I'm lucky that I usually just talk gibberish.

I'll be staying with my daughter for at least the next few days and possibly right up till my husband gets back on Valentine's Day. She's in the early stages of pregnancy and miscarried a few months ago so I'm reluctant to have her do anything that might put her under any strain. She did help me lift my legs into bed on the first couple of nights but I still had to get in and out by myself several times. However, I can now manage without even using my crutch as a lever and feel I am making progress.

Walking is really tough! I can't remember if it was this difficult first time round but now it takes a great deal of effort just to get from the bedroom to the living room - a distance of about six metres - and I am very glad to sit down when I get there. I know that other people seem to be up and about a lot quicker than I am but I also realise that having low strength and mobility in both hips for such a long time will make it more difficult to recover. Not impossible, though, and I am optimistic that a week will make a big difference and three months will see me well on the road to health and activity. I feel that the world is waiting for me and I can't wait to catch up!

Rua xx

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Scarab

Scarab junior member

@Ruamac I very much identify with the feeling that "the world is out there waiting for me and I can't wait to catch up." It is so difficult to feel that I am missing out on opportunities to travel, walk, swim, hike, etc. But we will get there!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

It must make you feel good that so many people here on the Forum are listening to you, and concerned for you.:loveshwr:

• Friendly Friendly x 1